World is running out of building sand

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
We have become accustomed to the idea that we may, someday, run out of oil. The world's great forests are being stripped away. Underwater aquifers, a vital source of water for millions, are being depleted at an alarming rate.

But very few of us have ever imagined that we are also in danger of running out of sand.

Sand is easy to ignore. It is, after all, one of the most abundant resources on the planet. But when you look at what sand becomes — concrete, glass, and silicon — you begin to realize that we are living in a world made out of sand...a world that would look very different if we were ever to run out.

Because the sand found in deserts often isn't suitable for making concrete, miners strip sand from riverbeds and beaches. Usable sand is a finite resource.

Beiser says rapid urbanization all around the world is causing us to consume concrete at an unprecedented rate. That means sand miners are digging deeper and deeper, disrupting sensitive ecosystems, and in some rare cases, swallowing up entire islands.

The growing demand for sand has also created a deadly black market, sometimes controlled by "sand mafias." In India and Indonesia, sand mafias are believed to have killed hundreds of people in the last few years alone, including police officers and journalists.

Beiser's reporting on sand is supported by the Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting, and he is currently at work on a book about the deadly global war for sand for Penguin Random House.

The world is starting to run out of sand - Home | The Sunday Edition | CBC Radio

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

selfsame

Time Out
Jul 13, 2015
There is the 'sand', the 'mud', the 'clay', the 'kaolin', the 'soil', the 'dust', the 'gravels' or 'pebbles', the 'rocks' ...etc.
So all these stuffs ... each has its characteristic.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
More crap from the left. Shortage of sand my arsch.

Please read State of Fear by Crichton.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Industrial grade concrete is made from fine hard rock sand. I'm surprised you rough, handy Red Green types don't know that.

Saudi Arabia imports both sand and camels.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Industrial grade concrete is made from fine hard rock sand. I'm surprised you rough, handy Red Green types don't know that.

Saudi Arabia imports both sand and camels.

I remember a few years back the Saudis bought a couple of tanker loads of filtration sand....it made for a good chuckle.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I remember a few years back the Saudis bought a couple of tanker loads of filtration sand....it made for a good chuckle.
They import sand for concrete from Scotland because Arabian sand don't work for concrete. They import Australian camels because all the camels in Saudi Arabia are privately owned and inbreeding gets to be a problem in the herds. The bring in the free-range Aussie camels for hybrid vigor.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
They import sand for concrete from Scotland because Arabian sand don't work for concrete. They import Australian camels because all the camels in Saudi Arabia are privately owned and inbreeding gets to be a problem in the herds. The bring in the free-range Aussie camels for hybrid vigor.
The Saudi camels breed with their owners?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

Do the free-range camels lay better eggs? :lol: