Driverless Trucks Coming Sooner Rather Than Later

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
Alberta The Last Best West
Long before we’re sitting in the passenger seat being ferried to our destination by a robot driver, a much bigger kind of vehicle is likely to be zooming past us, its speed and braking controlled not by a human but by a computer.

Long-distance lorries may be the ideal test-bed for autonomous driving technology, and it could bring improvements in safety and fuel consumption.

One company that’s already built robot trucks is Peloton Technology, based in Silicon Valley, California. There I looked around one of two enormous, maroon and gold truck cabs fitted with driverless tech. This iconic symbol of the great American open road, dripping with chrome and nostalgia, is not an everyday sight in Silicon Valley offices, but Peloton’s CEO Josh Switkes believes his company can marry the two.

BBC - Future - Will driverless trucks soon roll onto our roads?

Momma don't let your babies grow up to be truckers.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Not only trucks as well as bus, cars, planes and trains. The only disadvantage is the notorious technical help line that will keep one stranded for a couple of hours if one is lucky.

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
Not only trucks as well as bus, cars, planes and trains. The only disadvantage is the notorious technical help line that will keep one stranded for a couple of hours if one is lucky.

One won't have a job when the robotic revolution kicks into high gear so one won't have to worry about being anywhere at any particular time and can afford to wait.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Long before we’re sitting in the passenger seat being ferried to our destination by a robot driver, a much bigger kind of vehicle is likely to be zooming past us, its speed and braking controlled not by a human but by a computer.

Long-distance lorries may be the ideal test-bed for autonomous driving technology, and it could bring improvements in safety and fuel consumption.

One company that’s already built robot trucks is Peloton Technology, based in Silicon Valley, California. There I looked around one of two enormous, maroon and gold truck cabs fitted with driverless tech. This iconic symbol of the great American open road, dripping with chrome and nostalgia, is not an everyday sight in Silicon Valley offices, but Peloton’s CEO Josh Switkes believes his company can marry the two.

BBC - Future - Will driverless trucks soon roll onto our roads?

Momma don't let your babies grow up to be truckers.

:(

I'll be unemployed...

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
I wouldn't worry Boomer, it will be something that will be phased in over many years.

That's what all those secretaries said about the personal computer. Or was it the travel agents and news reporters and video store owners talking about the internet? No wait, it was the 50000 people who worked for Kodak talking about digital photography, then again, it might have been Blackberry executives thinking the iphone would be a bust.

Technology can change everything very fast. I have lived through enough change to know that the underwear I buy today will still be around being worn in a very different world from the one in which it was bought and maybe it's replacement will be instantly hand delivered by an air drone?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That's what all those secretaries said about the personal computer. Or was it the travel agents and news reporters and video store owners talking about the internet? No wait, it was the 50000 people who worked for Kodak talking about digital photography, then again, it might have been Blackberry executives thinking the iphone would be a bust.

Technology can change everything very fast. I have lived through enough change to know that the underwear I buy today will still be around being worn in a very different world from the one in which it was bought and maybe it's replacement will be instantly hand delivered by an air drone?

No if you spent 10 seconds and used your brain, you'd realize it will take at least 20 years. Do you think all the people who drive new vehicles are just all of a sudden going to rush out and buy driverless vehicles? It will also take many years to get all the infrastructure in place. People want to think before they start yammering!:)

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
During the Lac Megantic accident we were bombarded with information. One thing that came out was that in the states some trains run full auto, no personnel on board.

Geez maybe it will make hitch hiking safer this way? Mind you the convo would be one way

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007

Can you imagine anyone needing underwear that badly? Cliffy would 'bout have a heart attack and sh!t himself if a drone ever buzzed his way!

:?D

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Can you imagine anyone needing underwear that badly? Cliffy would 'bout have a heart attack and sh!t himself if a drone ever buzzed his way!

:?D

Yep, in many ways Cliffy is one of the more sensible posters! Not much sh*t gets past Cliffy.:)

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Enjoy the next 10 years and quit worrying. :)

I'm not worried, remember I write code, computer programmer.

I'll probably help in development of a driverless rig. They already have them in Europe,

Why I love this job, took the photo I15 South by Dillon, MY

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
DEAD!!! I'd rather be unemployed.. thanks. :lol:

lmfao.......that was funny...bud you are not gonna live forever and by the time this affects your employment status your days of eating, drinking and caring will be long over