Explorer reaches Alberta's world-record beaver dam

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Explorer reaches Alberta's world-record beaver dam
By Claire Theobald, Edmonton Sun
First posted: Thursday, September 18, 2014 09:44 AM EDT | Updated: Thursday, September 18, 2014 11:41 AM EDT
An American explorer is the first person to reach the world’s largest beaver dam, found in a remote area in Wood Buffalo National Park in northern Alberta.
“Just to be able to be the first to walk somewhere where no one else did, it felt impressive. I was pretty impressed with myself,” said Rob Mark, a professional explorer called by the allure of the world’s most remote places.
The beaver dam, first discovered by a researcher studying satellite images, is around 850 metres — or half a mile — long and just over a metre high, located in prime wetlands between the Birch Mountain Highlands and the Peace Athabasca Delta.
“It’s huge, it’s really amazing that they built it,” said Mark, describing it as an engineering marvel.
The location of this dam has been described as incredibly remote, located in a virtually untouched wilderness area of a park that is larger than the size of Switzerland.
Navigating the terrain proved a challenge even for Mark — who had previously mapped a route over the Andes through the Amazon rain forest — with brush so thick he easily became disoriented and the most aggressive mosquitoes Mark had ever seen.
“They were horrific,” Mark said, adding he had to wear his rain jacket for the 16 kilometre trek on foot as it was the only piece of clothing the mosquitoes couldn’t bite through.
Recording GPS coordinates and mapping his route from the edge of Lake Claire through the days long hike through the forest to the dam site — a journey that took years of planning, finally finding the site on June 20 — Mark hopes his expedition will pave the way for researchers to study the beaver dam.
General view of lake created by massive beaver damn in northern Alberta. (ROB MARK/SUPPLIED)

Explorer reaches Alberta's world-record beaver dam | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
lol, he probably thinks all the muskeg is one beaver dam. I said these exact words while cutting some seismic lines in a very remote area. When we stopped for lunch we did a bit of walking around and within 10 ft we found a empty wine jug.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Where is this world record beaver? Damn!
You mean damit don't you? From my experience tramping about the bush there are no 'large ones' but you do find areas where ther are many, many small ones and in the higher elevations they get deeper (higher) just because of the grade. The pic is a large one, not a huge one.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
We used to fish off a doozie up Sudbury way years ago. Had to bushwhack about 2 miles to get to it. Went out into a lake then made a circle. Hard to figure why the beavers bothered.

Went back up about 3 years ago and a road ran right to it. Needless to say, no more trout.:-(