Look out for HOGWEED

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
you've been warned

680 CJOB

Giant Hogweed has been confirmed in Thunder Bay, and it may only be a matter of time before we see it in Manitoba. The Invasive Species Council of Manitoba’s Doug Cattani told the Charles Adler Show, the ornamental plant can grow up to 15-feet tall. It’s highly toxic.

“If you break the stem, you can get the sap of the plant on you and when that sap is hit by sunlight, it can cause burning to your skin.”
Cattani says there have also been reports of the plant causing blindness. He adds Giant Hogweed is often confused with native perennial called Cow Parsnip. http://bit.ly/1rzj867 Toxic Plant Possible In Manitoba | 680 CJOB - Winnipeg's News & Information Leader

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Got some around here. Nasty stuff.

Growing beside a few of our secondary roads. Believe the twps. sprayed it.

Looks like Queen Anne's Lace, but it ain't.

This is all CBC bullsh!t that stuff is found in every back lane in my neighbourhood and I've never heard of any issue.

Sorry Willy, yer wrong as wrong can be. You are probably seeing Queen Anne's Lace. Smaller and harmless.

If you're sure of it, cut some off, rub it on your arms and stand in the sun.

Sometimes CBC gets it right.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
can I spread the giant hogweed seeds on our neighbours front and back yard lawns? ;) :p

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Sorry.....yer wrong as wrong can be. You are probably seeing Queen Anne's Lace. Smaller and harmless.If you're sure of it, cut some off, rub it on your arms and stand in the sun.
No one here is as stupid as their country cousins-we know the difference and we just leave the stuff alone.

CBC gets it right.
Not in this case they didn't.

Billy smokes too much eco unfriendly indoor grown BC weed.
Is that the best you can do?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
"During the 1980's this plant was present in the garden of the Alexander Graham
Bell Museum in Baddeck. It seems likely that it was intentionally planted there. Prior to July 1,
2010 there were several known locations in Nova Scotia, including Jollimore, Purcells Cove,
Halifax, Dartmouth, Wolfville, Grand Pre, Sydney and Baddeck.
More recent confirmed plant locations are Kentville, Sheffield Mills
and Truro."

http://novascotia.ca/natr/wildlife/biodiversity/pdf/hogweedfacts.pdf

Nova Scotia is also suffering from Japanese Knotweed (Bamboo-like weed). I remember seeing small little bushes at my grandparents house in the south shore along the road as a kid, which have now spread to pretty much everywhere in the province and are in huge clusters.

^ This is a batch of the stuff over 30 years later from the same location in the South Shore. The entire cluster is slightly larger than the size of a bungalow house and it taller than me (I'm 6'6")

Records I can find online mention that it's established from Ontario to Newfoundland, but can't find any records mentioning where it was first recorded to be planted/sighted. It was introduced in North America in the 1800's. As my first memory of seeing this Knotweed was on Cape Sable Island, Nova Scotia around 1983 and don't remember ever seeing it anywhere else in the province until the late 90's / early 2000's (and is in larger clusters and larger proportions the more south you travel the province) one can roughly guess where it originated. Cape Sable Island was pretty remote in the early 80's and earlier than that. Also the causeway to get to the island wasn't built until 1949. CSI is a mainly fishing community, as well as Shelburne being an old British port and Privateer hub.... contamination from either Nova Scotia to the US / Quebec / New Brunswick or vice versa was quite possible through shipping. And one can't forget about Yarmouth.

I was born and raised in the Highlands area of Nova Scotia, which is basically the point where Nova Scotia meets New Brunswick and Cape Breton, where you'd think Knotweed would have easily spread from if it came further west, however I never seen it once in the Truro / New Glasgow / Antigonish areas until just a few years ago.

I only have a slight interest in the Knotweed because when I was a kid I thought it was cool that we had Bamboo and I wanted to make some kung fu stuff.

With this stuff and the Hogweed spreading out like a parasite?

Well....

Your welcome Canada.

Last edited:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:protest: DANDELIONS have taken over much of Ontario and Manitoba, and are spreading east and west.

Scientists are flummoxed

Helmet may call out the reserves.

Not since Vesuvius has such a disaster threatened.

They are growing taller, consuming bees and other inscets, small dogs and children

Not fit for wine these are the un-dandelion species.

Flee if you can.

Give me your debit card PIN numbers first, and I'll stay and guard the fort.