Dogs are capable of feeling jealousy - U.S. study

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Dogs are capable of feeling jealousy - U.S. study
Curtis Skinner, REUTERS
First posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 07:55 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 10:20 PM EDT
Dogs are a man's best friend, and research released on Wednesday says canines want to keep it that way.
Dogs are capable of feeling a basic form of jealousy, according to a study published in the PLOS ONE scientific journal.
The research, said to be the first experiment on canine jealousy, could redefine the view that the complex emotion of envy is a human construct, said Christine Harris, University of California, San Diego psychologist and an author of the study.
The owners of 36 small dogs were asked to do three things in the test - shower affection on a plush animatronic dog, shower affection on a plastic jack-o-lantern pail and read a children's book aloud - while ignoring their pet.
Researchers then watched how the dogs reacted.
Roughly 80 percent of the dogs pushed or touched their owner when they were coddling the toy, almost twice as often as when the owner played with the pail and about four times as often as when the owner was reading.
A quarter of the dogs even snapped at the toy, which barked, whined and wagged its tail, while the owner was playing with it. Only one dog snapped at the pail and the book.
"We can't really speak to the dog's subjective experiences, of course, but it looks as though they were motivated to protect an important social relationship," Harris said in a statement accompanying the study.
The research, based on a similar study to gauge jealousy in infants, suggests dogs and possibly other animals exhibit a primordial form of the emotion, the study said.
Researchers said jealousy may have evolved as a way for paired animals to protect their sexual relationships or for baby animals to compete for food and affection from their parents.
They said it also may have developed in dogs during their long domestication by humans.
"Humans, after all, have been rich resource providers over our coevolution," they wrote in the study.
Understanding jealousy is an important scientific task, they wrote, noting that jealousy is often considered a cause of homicides across cultures.

Cute dogs feel jealous - Funny jealous dogs compilation - YouTube
Dogs are capable of feeling jealousy - U.S. study | Life | Toronto Sun

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Dogs are stupid, cats, on the other hand, have personality. Did these folks not have pets when they were young, or did they just have some other peoples money to spend ?

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
And they were paid how much to come up with this?

I see 5% for research expenses just to do a few videos and make up report booklet...95% profit.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Mustbestupid citiots. Anyone thatever hadmultiple animals around the house knows this. But then wolves fishing was considered a rural myth until some guy that spent far too long in school got a picture ofit.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Science demands results that are can be repeated.

Word of mouth, personal antidotes don't make the cut.

Science has clinically proven what people have been saying. The extent of such proof / studies can mean, in the future, that animals will not be allowed to be treated as a commodity.

These sorts of proofs go along way to putting people who enjoy torturing animals in prison rather then being given a fine.

It wasn't so long ago that pets were considered to have no intelligence, no emotions, and were expendable. We now know that some animals have culture, communicate and identify objects (using a specific sound to alert others about a specific threat, not just a threat)

We have learned that animals may not have the vocal abilities we do, but they can learn sign language and communicate thoughts. Origianl thoughts. That's huge. This all in the last 50 years.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I always figured man's label of emotionless and unfeeling on animals has more to do with man's smug illusion of superiority over natural fact

I fully agree with you. Except I think it's man inferiority complex that causes him to want to believe he is special. I believe it's why man invented God. To feel special and loved.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
That is amazing, someone was paid for this study? i could have told them many years ago that dogs
definitely feel jealousy, its a very obvious response over time when owning more than one dog, or
even one dog can feel jealousy when owner is giving more attention away from 'him' than he is
comfortable with.

and anyone who calls dogs 'stupid' obviously has never taken the time to know one, or even better,
trained many dogs over the years, and yes, i have 5 cats too, can't train them to do anything, but
they Aren't stupid either, just different, not interested in pleasing anyone, or learning anything
'they' don't want to, but i have seen videos of cats doing tricks, so when they are young and you
introduce hoops and other play things, they will learn to jump thru etc, as they are so playful.
the more i leave my cats alone, the more they hang around me, the more
one tries to make them do something, the more they disappear.

cats make decisions for themselves.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:-(......Way to piss off the Doberman. Some kid'll lose their face.

Even a jealolus Chihuahua can do a number on a toddler.

Stupid bastards should have their dogs taken away!

:banghead:

I fully agree with you. Except I think it's man inferiority complex that causes him to want to believe he is special. I believe it's why man invented God. To feel special and loved.

And to be able to burn his enemies at the stake.
wunnerful.8O

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Did these folks not have pets when they were young, or did they just have some other peoples money to spend ?

And they were paid how much to come up with this?

I see 5% for research expenses just to do a few videos and make up report booklet...95% profit.

That is amazing, someone was paid for this study?

There was no funding provided for this study, and the subjects were all volunteers. It was a part of her psychology course. My nutrition professor has published data we collected as part of a term project in our aquatic nutrition course. What better way to teach research methods than to perform actual research? If they can get a publication out of it? Gravy. That's their job after all.
PLOS ONE: Jealousy in Dogs

"Funding: This research was not supported by any funding agency. It was performed in CH's position as a professor at UCSD with volunteer subjects."

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
There was no funding provided for this study, and the subjects were all volunteers. It was a part of her psychology course. My nutrition professor has published data we collected as part of a term project in our aquatic nutrition course. What better way to teach research methods than to perform actual research? If they can get a publication out of it? Gravy. That's their job after all.
PLOS ONE: Jealousy in Dogs

"Funding: This research was not supported by any funding agency. It was performed in CH's position as a professor at UCSD with volunteer subjects."

thats good, but any dog breeder, trainer, handler, i've know over the years all know that dogs
can be jealous, its amazing to me that it is a study at all, it is well known to anyone who knows
dogs well, just ask them, any of them, someone could have asked me, i have trained, shown, bred and
worked with dogs for about 40 years, i knew that fact.
might as well have a study 'if' dogs can - sit, stay, retrieve, roll over, play dead,
and yes, be jealous, no more rare than any of the those.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
thats good, but any dog breeder, trainer, handler, i've know over the years all know that dogs
can be jealous, its amazing to me that it is a study at all, it is well known to anyone who knows
dogs well, just ask them, any of them, someone could have asked me, i have trained, shown, bred and
worked with dogs for about 40 years, i knew that fact.
might as well have a study 'if' dogs can - sit, stay, retrieve, roll over, play dead,
and yes, be jealous, no more rare than any of the those.

Well, believe it or not there are plenty of people out there who don't think animals react like humans do, either to physical stimuli like pain, or to emotional cues. As examples.

I doubt you'll find many people who deny that a dog can be trained to sit.

ETA: She also researches evolutionary development of emotion. So studying similar behaviours and reactions in other animals can make a strong case for conservation of traits.

Show a study on a dog's loyalty and unconditional love. On second thought, they'd come out more civilized than humans

Probably!

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Well, believe it or not there are plenty of people out there who don't think animals react like humans do, either to physical stimuli like pain, or to emotional cues. As examples.

I doubt you'll find many people who deny that a dog can be trained to sit.

Some of those people should have come to the vet's with me when we drained Dezel's aural hematoma - then got within a foot with the second needle

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Some of those people should have come to the vet's with me when we drained Dezel's aural hematoma - then got within a foot with the second needle

It's even worse when it comes to things like 'feeling pain'. There are groups out there that deny that the experience of pain is comparable between humans and other animals, and they base their argument on things like emotion. A lot of people still have a hard time believing that animals can experience emotion like we do. So even though they have the physiological mechanisms that we have for sensing pain, they would argue that based on emotion, it's not the same. Studies like this go a long way towards bridging that gap. The fact that nobody has published this kind of thing before, while it may seem obvious to most, well it's actually not to many others.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I could have told you that when I was 10.

Show a study on a dog's loyalty and unconditional love. On second thought, they'd come out more civilized than humans

In my experience they are. The only thing alive (well, not anymore) that didn't at some point betray me was a dog. That includes family.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
It's even worse when it comes to things like 'feeling pain'. There are groups out there that deny that the experience of pain is comparable between humans and other animals, and they base their argument on things like emotion. A lot of people still have a hard time believing that animals can experience emotion like we do. So even though they have the physiological mechanisms that we have for sensing pain, they would argue that based on emotion, it's not the same. Studies like this go a long way towards bridging that gap. The fact that nobody has published this kind of thing before, while it may seem obvious to most, well it's actually not to many others.
Heartbreaking: Fallen Mountie's Dog Cries At Casket | 680 CJOB - Winnipeg's News & Information Leader

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

They probably do experience it differently as not all humans experience it the same way. I lived with a sociopath for a few years. He may as well have been an alien. He didn't experience any emotion in the same way most people do. He has learned how to put up a reasonably good show in public but regular emotions the way most of us experience them confuse him to no end.