U.S. unveils first national plan to slash emissions 30% by 2020

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Barack Obama sets 2020 emissions target for U.S. power plants

The Obama administration on Monday will unveil a plan to cut Earth-warming pollution from power plants by 30 per cent by 2020, setting in motion one of the most significant actions to address global warming in U.S. history.

The rule, which is expected to be final next year, will set the first-ever national limits on carbon dioxide, the chief gas linked to global warming from U.S. power plants. They are the largest source of greenhouse gases in the U.S., accounting for about a third of the annual emissions, and make the U.S. the second largest contributor to global warming on the planet.

The regulation is a centrepiece of President Barack Obama's plans to reduce the pollution linked to global warming, a step that the administration hopes will get other countries to act when negotiations on a new international treaty resume next year.

Environmental Protection Agency data shows that U.S. power plants have reduced carbon dioxide emissions by nearly 13 per cent since 2005, or about halfway to their goal. But with coal-fired power plants already beleaguered by booming natural gas supplies and other environmental regulations, experts on Sunday said getting there won't be easy. The EPA is expected to offer a range of options to states based on where they get their electricity from and how much carbon dioxide they emit in the process.

Obama has already tackled the emissions from the nation's cars and trucks, announcing rules to reduce carbon dioxide emissions by doubling fuel economy. That standard will reduce carbon dioxide by more than 1.8 billion tonnes. The power plant proposal will prevent about 390 million tonnes of carbon dioxide from reaching the atmosphere, based on the 30 per cent figure.

The EPA refused to confirm the details of the proposal Sunday. People familiar with the proposal shared the details on condition of anonymity, since they have not been officially released.

The details were first reported Sunday by The Wall Street Journal.

States to play pivotal role
As Obama prepares to announce the tougher new air quality standards, lawmakers in several states already are trying to blunt the impact on aging coal-fired power plants that feed electricity to millions of consumers.

The push against Obama's new carbon emission standards has been strongest in some states that have large coal-mining industries or rely heavily on coal to fuel their electricity. State officials say the new federal regulations could jeopardize the jobs of thousands of workers and drive up the monthly electric bills of residents and businesses.

It remains to be seen whether new measures passed by the states will amount to mere political symbolism or actually temper what's expected to be an aggressive federal effort to reduce the country's reliance on coal. But either way, states likely will play a pivotal role, because federal clean air laws leave it up to each state to come up with its own plan for complying with the emission guidelines.

The proposed EPA rules to be announced Monday could be the first to apply to carbon dioxide emissions at existing power plants. Coal is the most common fuel source for the nation's electricity and, when it's burned, is a leading source of the greenhouse gasses that trap heat in the atmosphere and contribute to climate change.

Without waiting to see what Obama proposes, governors in Kansas, Kentucky, Virginia and West Virginia have signed laws directing their environmental agencies to develop their own carbon emission plans that consider the costs of compliance at individual power plants. Similar measures recently passed in Missouri and are pending in the Louisiana and Ohio legislatures.

Missouri lawmakers went even further in their defence of the coal industry. When activists proposed a ballot initiative barring local tax breaks for St. Louis-based Peabody Energy, state lawmakers quickly passed a measure banning such moves.

Barack Obama sets 2020 emissions target for U.S. power plants

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
And they are going to do it with natural gas. cheap, abundant and relatively clean.

Thank God for GE saving the planet from nothing on your dime.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
And they are going to do it with natural gas. cheap, abundant and relatively clean.

Thank God for GE saving the planet from nothing on your dime.

Just thinking out loud here... Kinda wondering what the cost of decommissioning the coal industrial complex might look like... I suppose that we might take a look at the cost of replacing all that with new, gas-fired turbines.

... All of this is likely a short time frame (relatively).

I'm thinking that this story won't have much of a happy ending for the average consumer

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Just thinking out loud here... Kinda wondering what the cost of decommissioning the coal industrial complex might look like... I suppose that we might take a look at the cost of replacing all that with new, gas-fired turbines.

I'm thinking that this story won't have much of a happy ending for the average consumer

They left that little part out. The average consumer thinks the energy companies are going to take all the hits and things will be as usual. lol

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Coal boilers can be retro fitted for gas. Coal is more valuable for making steel than for electric. Coal mining isn't going to end.

GE has been the biggest benefactor of taxpayer money. GE is powerful enough to create the global warming scam.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

Coal has already lost significant ground to cheap natural gas, without any EPA rules on CO2 emissions. Look at the change in just the past 5 years below. By 2020? It might not even be that big of a change from what has been happening in the US electricity generation market anyways.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The drop in hydro electric production is a result of global warming and the consequent disappearance of water in rivers flowing south from the now almost completely melted north pole. Millions of dead polar bears have been counted laying around in the dust all over the northern regions.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
America finally drank the Kool Aide. Al Gore can now fire up the barbeque
Attention over here please not on the real problems of the day.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
The drop in hydro electric production is a result of global warming and the consequent disappearance of water in rivers flowing south from the now almost completely melted north pole. Millions of dead polar bears have been counted laying around in the dust all over the northern regions.
Sad but true.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
As we all know science has discovered in the nick of time the most horiffic of human and planet predatory molecule, the dreaded CO2, carbon dioxide, the invisable monster, yes it is in your closet Johnny.
If this diabolical fiendish gas is allowed to proliferate about in the air we will be sure to see the planet smoking and burning, speedboat sales will plummet, automobiles will be filth encrusted crimes against eyesight and your neighbores odor will announce his approach tens of meters away allowing for the wind. Pay no attention to the greenhouse gasbag asylum choir they have the mark of the banana peel about them. Imagine a natural gas powerful enough to destroy the US military industrial disaster, before it offs itself, also entirely by an other natural gas problem. Meanwhile the neighbourhood road hahahaha has potholes swallowing school buses, why we beg, to save our democratic progressive tolerant unified planet they esplaine, hala****inluyah buddy where's the godamn department of highways and byways, no I

Clean green GE gas turbines that you paid for through taxpayer funds.

Does it feel good?
This super green GE china built turbine is named Ottawa. A gas turbine with a solid banking sector, envy of the free world , a place Americans can escape to. Our internationally respected dollar, is built on x ammount of yqanke money, we didn't have a choice, remember the Avro, nomyou can't have nukes, you might hurt the polar bears. I digress, nevertheless emissions must be slashed if the seals are to be saved, we have promised them, the seals, that we will only eat them if we must, and not before. Stupid animals, someday there will only be slippers to remind us of them. When we have eaten every thing on the planet we will be truly human. We must escape the transhuman way they say, vat babies, opps I mean STATE SANCTIONED REPLICANTS replicants, NATURAL REPLICATION WILL BE DISCOURAGED, TAXATION OF COURSE, INSURANCE, SOCIAL SERVICES, BLAH BLAH BLAH, GET SOME CATS.
wE ARE AN ADVANCED CIVILIZATION they claim, but we can't afoford children, what kind of growth and fooking developement is that, and we can get nowhere faster than ever on the internet, wow.

My Government saved Lybia, my car is broken, I guess it was worth it.

pounded democracy into Lybia, to preserve my freedom, to travel on my highways hahahahhahahahhahahahhahah, unemcumbered bt tank traps, fock off

hARPER A transaxel is serious, fix the ockin holes I don't care if you have to scrap a frigate.