Is humanity behind biggest extinction event since dinosaurs?

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Is humanity behind biggest extinction event since dinosaurs?
Ed Stoddard, Reuters
First posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 09:37 AM EDT | Updated: Thursday, May 01, 2014 10:03 AM EDT
JOHANNESBURG - Around 65 million years ago, a massive asteroid or "bolide" smashed into the Yucatan Peninsula off the coast of southeastern Mexico, sending up a cloud of searing vapor and debris.
This effectively killed off the dinosaurs. Some were instantly vaporized, others vanished as vast dust clouds blocked out the sunlight for years.
It also ushered in what scientists have dubbed the fifth great extinction event in our planet's history.
Many scientists believe a sixth mass die-off of biodiversity is now under way because of the activities of a single species that eventually evolved from the wreckage of the previous one, and managed to colonize the earth - Homo sapiens.
In "The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History", American writer Elizabeth Kolbert chronicles this unfolding drama and the scientists who have brought it to life.
From climate change to the bad luck of being a flightless bird - an evolutionary advantage until confronted by hungry humans looking for easy protein - to the acidification of the oceans, Kolbert traces some of the ways we are altering ecosystems amid a growing body count of other species.
These include everything from the great auk to frogs to corals to Africa's mega-fauna - elephants and rhinos - which are currently being poached at an alarming rate.
Underscoring scientific concerns about humanity's global environmental impact, there is a movement to rename our current geological epoch the "Anthropocene".
A staff writer at The New Yorker, Kolbert spoke to Reuters by phone from her Massachusetts home about her new book and the appeal of being a cockroach.
Q: Your book has a scary theme. What frightens you most about the issue?
A: I think what is most scary, as a parent of other human beings, is what will happen from the societal disruption that could potentially result from ecological disruption and climate change. But on a 'future of the world' kind of level, what I found most sobering and frightening is what is happening to the oceans. I think ocean acidification is a kind of under-appreciated problem. And we seem to be changing ocean chemistry very dramatically and very quickly.
Q: What do you see as the biggest man-made threat to biodiversity?
A: That is hard to say. But once again when you sort of look at the record, ocean acidification looms pretty large as a driver of extinction.
Q: In the United States there is a lot of skepticism about some of these issues such as climate change. Why is that?
A: One reason is that we are just big fossil fuel users and I think people are very hesitant to acknowledge that what we consider perfectly ordinary stuff, like driving around, that that is contributing to world-altering ecological problems. I don't think that people are keen to face up to that. There is also a very concerted disinformation campaign in the United States. And this plays into this inclination that we already have, that we prefer not to believe it.
Q: If you wanted to make sure that your DNA is going to get passed on for another couple of million years, what species should you be? What species is most likely to survive the "Anthropocene"?
A: People are looking at cockroaches, which have survived relatively unchanged for quite a long time. And we know that cockroaches do really well with human disturbance. So I think if I wanted to pass on my DNA I would probably choose to be a cockroach ... If you want to pass on your genetic material, do not be a flightless bird.
Q: What is your next book project?
A: I don't know. I'm actively looking for it.
Is humanity behind biggest extinction event since dinosaurs? | World | News | To

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
In other extinction events there was always something left behind to start again. If there is another one in the works, and man made, and knowing the fact that humans love to remove everything it can just to make ourselves lazier, will there be anything left after we're done exterminating the rest of the planet to start over?

Jus a thought.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
We have taken a perfectly beautiful planet and polluted it. For all our intelligence its odd that we can't see how this is going to have a negative impact on this planet.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
We have taken a perfectly beautiful planet and polluted it. For all our intelligence its odd that we can't see how this is going to have a negative impact on this planet.

Sadly some people just hate to admit that humans suck.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Nonsense. The planet was heavily polluted before we ever showed up.

What substance has caused more corrosion and corruption on this planet than any other? (Hint: it ain't manmade, mostly, though it can be.)

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

What substance has caused more corrosion and corruption on this planet than any other? (Hint: it ain't manmade, mostly, though it can be.)

You made it sound like some arrived via space ship.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Sadly some people just hate to admit that humans suck.
Some people can't handle the truth. Humans are well on their way to extincting themselves. Some people are already dead inside but refuse to compost. All they can do is hit the neg rep button.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You made it sound like some arrived via space ship.
No, haven't you heard. Some beardy old guy in a nightshirt sitting on a cloud was playing in the mud, being all holy and dignified and such, and made a little figurine of himself, and gave it life with less knowledge, less power, and a butthole, then ripped a rib out of the figurine and made another figurine, only this one with t*ts, a completely new invention, and. . .

Whatever. Read Genesis. This story is too obviously insane for me to ever keep it straight.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I find reading Genesis "one day" each day, and then drawing a picture with my Crayolas and sticking it on the fridge with magnets, starting at the top of the door and working down, really helps as long as some small child doesn't mix them up.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

Denial is easier. Also, not sure Id call this place "beautiful." Sure it looks nice but nature is really trying to kill everything in one way or another. Those other mass extinction events were no doubt quite "ugly" for anything alive at the time or right afterwards. It was probably more unpleasant for those that actually survived them. The earth polluting itself caused some of those events.

We can wipe ourselves out and quite a few other species but the planet won't care. Its seen and experienced worse and just kept on going and recovered. I doubt we are powerful enough to really wipe out everything and destroy all chances at a recovery. Something will make it, even if it is microscopic and underground or at the bottom of the oceans.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm

Wow. Someone gave this a neg rep. Seems quite factual to me but hey, free speech right? ;)

Oxygen. Highly corrosive and reactive. Look it up.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Wow. Someone gave this a neg rep. Seems quite factual to me but hey, free speech right? ;)

Oh I bet I know who did that! Can't talk about pollution because that's a slippery slope to Obal-glay Arming-way don't ya know?

Please ignore all the trash on the ground. Just walk around it, nothing to see here. ;)