Deadly virus in Saudi Arabia could spread globally

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Mother nature, or something that escaped a lab on somebody's shoe ? I'm always suspicious of these sudden deadly outbreaks.
Where would you like this 70% cull done boom, just anywhere outside your neighbourhood ?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Talk about confusing.

They say this:
A deadly virus that is spreading at record speed through Saudi Arabia could go global later this year when the 2014 haj (Muslim pilgrimage) begins, according to an article published by BuzzFeed.

Then they say:

MERS has no vaccine or anti-viral treatment, but international and Saudi health authorities say the disease, which originated in camels, does not transmit easily between people and may simply die out.

So I'm guessing it's more like SARS or H1N1 in that it has happened, it has killed, and it has spread/may spread. It is also like the flu or a cold Some will get it and some won't, some will die and some won't.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
bad immune system for that particular virus and guess you're dead

damn those camels

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
bad immune system for that particular virus and guess you're dead

damn those camels

I'm curious how it was passed from Camel to human if it's not particularly easy to contract from Human to Human...

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
If you're really paranoid look to Vancouver for the first appearance of this 'plague'.

Downtown here is full of Saudis first it was language students now it's families-they've bought up all kinds of property on the North Shore even had a Saudi restaurant for a while.

So the End of the World is always closer than you think-you read it here first.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I'm curious how it was passed from Camel to human if it's not particularly easy to contract from Human to Human...
apparently many camels carry the virus "the virus is “extraordinarily common” in camels and has been for at least 20 years.

and camels are slobbery so it could be transmitted via saliva: "Researchers now think close contact with camels, which are known to be slobbery creatures, could be how the virus is transmitted."

But I just went through several articles on it and regardless of all of the yapping and verbiage... they don't know.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
apparently many camels carry the virus "the virus is “extraordinarily common” in camels and has been for at least 20 years.

and camels are slobbery so it could be transmitted via saliva: "Researchers now think close contact with camels, which are known to be slobbery creatures, could be how the virus is transmitted."

But I just went through several articles on it and regardless of all of the yapping and verbiage... they don't know.

I don't know why I'm laughing, but "Known to beslobbery animals".....Oh great stars above....Is this the clinical scientific term? Slobbery creatures.

Poor camels to be as funny looking as they are and to be slobbery...they'll never be taken seriously now!

Maybe it can be passed on through meat or milk? both of which camels provide.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I don't know why I'm laughing, but "Known to beslobbery animals".....Oh great stars above....Is this the clinical scientific term? Slobbery creatures.

Poor camels to be as funny looking as they are and to be slobbery...they'll never be taken seriously now!

lol...yeah I liked that too and it truly reinforced that fact that they know zip. Here's a spit exchange right here;

oh and sorry Twila I forgot the damn link before

Camels may transmit fatal MERS virus to humans | The Japan Times

I think this camel is beautiful.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Where's Macooooo?
in the picture...just look up

it's an awesome picture actually

oh and just to add to the hysteria...now that it has passed to humans, I found this little nugget;
What are risk factors for MERS-CoV infection?

MERS-CoV can infect a person regardless of his/her health status or age group. Recent travelers returning from the Middle East who develop severe acute respiratory infection (SARI) should be tested for MERS-CoV. Elderly people and those with underlying medical conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, or liver disease are at risk of severe infection. A major risk factor is simply a close association with any person infected with MERS-CoV since the virus can be spread through respiratory droplets.

MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome) Symptoms, Causes, Treatment - What is Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV)? - MedicineNet

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Where would you like this 70% cull done boom, just anywhere outside your neighborhood ?

Worldwide... we all die of something..

As a truck driver, you pick up a lot of crap on the road... let's see Pink Eye is a popular one..

Look, I have never seen so many PIGS!! than while driving truck, shaking their ding dongs, getting urine on their hands, and not washing their hands, then walking out and opening the cooler door..

Mexican wipe their azz and toss the TP on the floor..

When I wash my hands I take a paper towel to open the door.. don't want to touch the door with my bare hands..

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Worldwide... we all die of something..

As a truck driver, you pick up a lot of crap on the road... let's see Pink Eye is a popular one..

Look, I have never seen so many PIGS!! than while driving truck, shaking their ding dongs, getting urine on their hands, and not washing their hands, then walking out and opening the cooler door..

Mexican wipe their azz and toss the TP on the floor..

When I wash my hands I take a paper towel to open the door.. don't want to touch the door with my bare hands..
omg...my hands would be raw from soap, water and sanitizer

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
can't even imagine what receiving that call would feel like if you had been in contact with them, not to mention tracking all of the people this individual has come into contact with...well let's see how this goes down

Well I can tell you I won't be petting any camels for the next few months and I am sad about that. With my luck I'll probably have to turn down such an opportunity shortly.