U.S. Navy says it can now convert seawater into fuel

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The US Navy believes it has finally worked out the solution to a problem that has intrigued scientists for decades: how to take seawater and use it as fuel.

The development of a liquid hydrocarbon fuel is being hailed as “a game-changer” because it would significantly shorten the supply chain, a weak link that makes any force easier to attack.

The US has a fleet of 15 military oil tankers, and only aircraft carriers and some submarines are equipped with nuclear propulsion.

All other vessels must frequently abandon their mission for a few hours to navigate in parallel with the tanker, a delicate operation, especially in bad weather.

The ultimate goal is to eventually get away from the dependence on oil altogether, which would also mean the navy is no longer hostage to potential shortages of oil or fluctuations in its cost.

Vice Admiral Philip Cullom declared: “It’s a huge milestone for us.”

more

Technological breakthrough? U.S. Navy says it can now convert seawater into fuel | The Raw Story

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Fascinating, just fascinating!

Although I was floored by this revelation, I couldn't help wanting to read-up on the other fine articles such as:

PETA looks to buy boyhood home of Jeffrey Dahmer and open a vegan restaurant there

And:

Minn. GOP nominee running for Congress because evolution made his daughter cry

No doubt, evolution making someone's daughter break out in tears is not as monumental as transforming H2O into fuel (always thought you needed lots of carbon for that, but hey, what do I know) but interesting all the same