A very tiny XXX may have caused worst mass extinction the Earth has ever experienced,

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There have been at least two mass extinctions from oceans burping H2S. I call malarkey on CH4 and CO2 alone.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I like the great Oxygen Poisoning extinction. I was fascinated when I saw a story on it.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I like the great Oxygen Poisoning extinction. I was fascinated when I saw a story on it.

It poisoned the heck of the big beasts that got big from all the O2 during the Pleistocene. It was even written about a long long time ago. Poison that makes you big.

Genesis 6:4

Viewing the King James Version. Click to switch to 1611 King James Version of Genesis 6:4.

There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
It poisoned the heck of the big beasts that got big from all the O2 during the Pleistocene. It was even written about a long long time ago. Poison that makes you big.

Wasn't the Great Oxygen Poisoning the event that allowed dinosaurs to evolve?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Oh no. First the ocean needed to be oxygenated for even the most basic of life and that only took 4billion years.

Right. That is what I saw. Granted it was awhile ago. If memory serves me correctly it was a microbe in the ocean while feeding produced oxygen that polluted the ocean then the atmosphere.

Am I on the right track?

(I suppose I could just go and look it up. ;) )

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
If they know about it and are capable of saying it.

That time machine would come in pretty handy about now, eh?

So has the meteor idea been laid to rest? or is it one thing among many that have doomed us to never having a t-rex as a pet?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Right. That is what I saw. Granted it was awhile ago. If memory serves me correctly it was a microbe in the ocean while feeding produced oxygen that polluted the ocean then the atmosphere.

Am I on the right track?

(I suppose I could just go and look it up. ;) )

You're correct.

I hope the next dominant species will be intelligent; so far no luck!

The microbes that have run this planet for eons will keep doing so.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I hope the next dominant species will be intelligent; so far no luck!

Spade, disparaging Brits is not right. Some do have some intelligence.
Just because we have not seen it does not mean it does not exist.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
A very tiny organism may have caused worst mass extinction the Earth has ever experienced, a new study suggests.

Methane-spewing microbe blamed in worst mass extinction - Technology & Science - CBC News
microbes that fart? :shock: