Ontario pays $200 Million for Toronto Ice Storm

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Treat Mother Nature like **** and she'll hit your wallet!

Ontario to give municipalities $190M for ice storm cleanup

TORONTO – Ontario plans to provide up to $190 million to help hard-hit municipalities pay for the cleanup and recovery costs from the December ice storm, Municipal Affairs and Housing Minister Linda Jeffrey said Wednesday.

The money will be divided up among the 32 towns and cities across southern Ontario that requested financial help from the province, including Toronto.

But the dollar figure could change, given that some municipalities are still cleaning up from the storm, she said.

The costs the province will cover include warming centres, additional police expenses and cleaning the debris left by the storm, she said. But it won’t pay to replace downed trees.

Toronto originally asked the province to cover spring flooding costs and hydro costs, which weren’t eligible for compensation, she said. The new, one-time program the province has created will only cover the costs of the ice storm.

Ontario to give municipalities $190M for ice storm cleanup - Toronto | Globalnews.ca

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Oh property insurance premiums are definitely going to skyrocket next year.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Auto insurers are supposed to drop rates by 15% (in two stages) as per Ontario regulation.

Last year mine went up 11% in anticipation. I just renewed with the same insurer at a 9% drop. Still pisses me off that I have a 7-star rating, a record over 40 years that I'll proudly compare with any in the province - and I pay more to insure the vehicle per month than I actually do to DRIVE it....

Insurance companies have brakes on on their money mine

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Yea it is a bit of BS, but they'll probably raise them again because of the influx of accidents this winter.