Shivering can help you lose weight: Study

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Shivering can help you lose weight: Study
By Dale Carruthers ,The London Free Press
First posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 11:03 PM EST | Updated: Friday, February 07, 2014 11:18 PM EST
LONDON, Ont. ─ The old saying about freezing your butt off, could have some truth to it.
For Canadians shivering through the cold winter could have an unintended plus ─ weight loss.
New research by scientists at the U.S. National Institutes of Health suggests shivering has the same benefits as exercise when it comes to slimming down.
A study published in the journal Cell Metabolism found 15 minutes of shivering and one hour of moderate exercise are equally capable of converting energy-storing white fat into calorie-burning brown fat.
"In many ways, cold exposure is a bit like exercise," said lead researcher Dr. Paul Lee, from Sydney University in Australia.
Brown fat cells protect humans against the cold. People with more brown fat are slimmer than those with less, say scientists.
About 1.7 ounces of brown fat can burn up to 300 calories ─ the same amount of energy stored in white fat.
So does that mean ditch the gym and head outside without a parka instead?
Not so fast, says Lee.
"While it's true that one will burn more energy (shivering), but it's also a stress to the body," he said.
dale.carruthers@sunmedia.ca
Twitter: @DaleatLFPress
Shivering can help you lose weight: Study | Health & Fitness | Life | Toronto Sun

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Science discovers cold survival requires burning fat off. What a breakthrough an astounding move forward in the knowledge of Arctic and Antarctic habitation. I certainly hope someone informs the Inuit Nations.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
So I've packed on three extra pounds this winter, why...the environment I work in has a fresh air exchange right over my head. When the jet engine sound comes on it blows freezing air right into the office. I friggin' shake all day like everyone else in the office except for the large guy, and he sweats just standing up.

Of course I haven't stopped eating carbs for three solid months...sea food diet ya know.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
You mean the see food diet, right?;)
I`m on the seafood diet....you see food, you eat it. :D

Old news. The International Journal of Obesity published the same info, but the journal published the research saying the same thing in Nov. 2011: http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v35/n11/full/ijo20115a.html
Um, it seems that you all are missing where it says that cooler temperatures CAN help you lose weight.
Are you saying I have to maintain my regular caloric intake and then shiver to lose weight `cause it``s just too damn cold and miserable to even consider that :p