Canadian researchers discover coral reef off Greenland's southern coast

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Canadian researchers discover coral reef off Greenland's southern coast
QMI Agency
First posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:26 AM EST | Updated: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:36 AM EST
Canadian researchers accidentally stumbled across a cold-water coral reef off southern Greenland, a new study says.
Researcher Helle Jorgensbye of the Technical University of Denmark said unlike reefs in tropical areas, the first ever Greenlandic reef is unlikely to become a tourist destination for divers because there are very strong currents.
The study said the reef, which lives in total darkness, was discovered when people aboard a Canadian research vessel needed to take some water samples. They put measuring instruments into the water to a depth of 900 metres and the equipment came back smashed and with several pieces of coral branches.
"At first the researchers were swearing and cursing at the smashed equipment and were just about to throw the pieces of coral back into the sea, when luckily they realised what they were holding," Jorgensbye said in a press release.
He said there are coral reefs in Norway and Iceland, so the Greenland find isn't surprising, but there is still a lot to learn about it.
Coral from the newly discovered reef off southern Greenland. (Bedford Institute of Oceanography/Handout/QMI Agency)

A rare photo of coral from the newly discovered reef off southern Greenland. (Bedford Institute of Oceanography/Handout/QMI Agency)

Canadian researchers discover coral reef off Greenland's southern coast | World | News | Toronto Sun

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Researcher Helle Jorgensbye of the Technical University of Denmark said unlike reefs in tropical areas, the first ever Greenlandic reef is unlikely to become a tourist destination for divers because there are very strong currents.
Also, it's off the coast of Greenland.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Ya, they forgot to mention they were strong frigid currents. At 900 meters you could only use a deep sea diving craft.

Exactly! Tropical coral reefs are popular with tourists because they're in tropical locations. Just kind of a neat thing to see while your down there anyway, lol.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Exactly! Tropical coral reefs are popular with tourists because they're in tropical locations. Just kind of a neat thing to see while your down there anyway, lol.
And the colourful fish! I bet off Greenland the fish are a bluish grey from being half frozen all the time.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
And the colourful fish! I bet off Greenland the fish are a bluish grey from being half frozen all the time.

Unless you're into extreme tourism, and they're frankly all a little nuts anyway, I think the only ones studying the coral reefs off Greenland will be marine biologists.

Gah! Even the thought of the cold, cold waters off Greenland! During a July heatwave it would give me serious pause, but with the cold temperatures right now I find just the thought of it almost paralyzing. 8O

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There are over 3.5 MILLION hydrothermal vents under the oceans.

PS not single one is monitored for it's CO2 output.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I used to do science at BIO in the mid seventies. My project was to study the oil leaks beneath two RR straight eight engines and monitor the delicate organisms living in the bilges.