New source of Omega-3 longchain fatty acids

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
So, not all long chain fatty acids confer health benefits. Flax seed for example is a healthy food choice, but the Omega 3 fatty acid you find in flax seed is alpha linoleic acid, which isn't as heart healthy as other types. Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid(DHA) are the long chain fatty acids produced by algae, which accumulate in the fish that eat the algae, and the animals that eat the algae eaters. These are the fatty acids which have big health benefits for humans who consume them.

Unfortunately, the main source of these fatty acids is wild fish. There has been tremendous pressure on global fish oil, driven for the most part by expansive aquaculture use of the fish oil in fish feeds. The price of the commodity has risen from roughly $650 per metric ton to over $1600 per metric ton today. With global stocks of the fish used to make oil under severe pressure, the need to find sustainable alternatives for both fish farming and human consumption is high.

Up until now, the capability of producing oil seeds that can synthesize the same pathways that algae use has been elusive. But now, a team of researchers at the prestigious Rothamsted Research station have developed a strain of camelina that has been engineered to include the pathways needed for EPA and DHA synthesis:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/tpj.12378/abstract

They came up with two strains, one which can produce up to 31% EPA, and another which can produce up to 12% EPA and 14% DHA. These values are comparable to values obtained from wild fish.

This is groundbreaking research, with large implications for both human and ecological health. With the scale up of terrestrial agriculture, the pressure on fishing stocks in the future can be reduced, and a sustainable alternative that benefits human health can be achieved. As a bonus, camelina can be grown on marginal lands.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Quibble

The oil prices do not. But if you want to quibble I'll play.

Let's go with a middle range value from some crop data from Saskatoon. A yield of 2500 kg per hectare. Fish oil is trending down, lets take $1500 per 1000kg. That hectare of land could get you $4250. Even at the depressed prices relative to now of 2003, at $650 a tonne, your hectare could make you $1625.

Now let's take another crop in the RM 344, say barley, that has a good yield. 42 bushels per acre, so lets round up and say 105 bushels per hectare. Anyways, a little over 2000 kg. What does a tonne of barley go for? Let's take last years price, to be generous. Your hectare of barley (Great yield!) made you not quite $450.

Hmm, $4250, versus $450. Clearly, yield isn't everything. Try it with some other crops and see how well they fare.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Hmm. Compare it to other oil seed not feed crops.

Be my guest. The links are there for you to play with. What's the most profitable? Flax? I'd suggest you go with that. See how you fare. I guarantee it won't be anything close to the value of the EPA and DHA oil seeds.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
So going on yield only without any knowledge of logistics, market or input you can safely say it's a money maker to end all money makers?

But you don't farm do you so you have no clue about that do you?

You sound like the hemp proponents.

How are hemp producers doing these days?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Camelina yields suck.
Hmm, $4250, versus $450. Clearly, yield isn't everything. Try it with some other crops and see how well they fare.

So going on yield only without any knowledge of logistics, market or input you can safely say it's a money maker to end all money makers?

Lol, you're the one who brought up yield only. I added another factor, commodity prices. Feel free to add as many as you like.

Obviously biotech comes with a premium to the IP owners. I was simply illustrating it's asinine to quibble based on yield alone.

Must be a slow day in troll alley :lol:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Commodity price includes, input, storage, product losses and delivery? who is buying? Where are they buying? Can you get your product to that market before it sours?

It must be an idiot day.