New nose grown on man's forehead

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

new nose, grown by surgeons on Xiaolian's forehead, is pictured before being transplanted to replace the original nose, which is infected and deformed, at a hospital in Fuzhou, Fujian province September 24, 2013. (REUTERS/Stringer)

Reuters

Sep 25, 2013 , Last Updated: 3:40 PM ET

Surgeons in China are growing a new nose on a man’s forehead to replace his original nose after an infection corroded the cartilage, making it impossible for surgeons to fix it.
Xiaolian, 22, got the infection after neglecting his nasal trauma following a traffic accident in August, 2012.
The new nose is grown by placing a skin tissue expander onto Xiaolian's forehead, cutting it into the shape of a nose and planting a cartilage taken from his ribs.
The surgeons said that the new nose is in good shape and the transplant surgery could be performed soon, local media reported.

Wow! 8O

I keep looking for the link to lampoon or the onion because it's just so freaking bizarre!!! Neat, but bizarre.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I wonder if he'll retain some sense of smell? I'd imagine nasal breathing wouldn't be an issue, it's just the passageway. But don't the cilia (is that the right term-little fine hairs) play some role in how we smell?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Nothing but science at work
CC has that beat by a country mile.
We have evolution at work on this very Forum.
Yep- Darwin wishes he was here i would say.
How and where you ask.
Why, simply put

We have some members that are.

Using these

Thinking that they have

When they are really posting this.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
When I was 8 years old I required surgery, and as a result, reconstructive surgery. One of my options for my reconstruction was a tissue expander being placed in the surgery site, and over the course of six months and repeated saline injections, stretching the surgery site enough that the surgeons could then, in one operation, fix the defect.

Honestly, vanity made little 8 year old me bawl my head off. The idea of being a freak with a lump sticking out of me was unbearable. It would have been the simpler, less painful option, but no. I lost my ever loving mind.

I can't even fathom what my reaction would be if the docs said 'hey, we're gonna grow a nose on your forehead.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I can't even fathom what my reaction would be if the docs said 'hey, we're gonna grow a nose on your forehead.

Well if you did and had a sweaty forehead and used these to wipe

Do not ask anyone to drop it in the trash.

Just sayin is all.

Last edited:

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
When I was 8 years old I required surgery, and as a result, reconstructive surgery. One of my options for my reconstruction was a tissue expander being placed in the surgery site, and over the course of six months and repeated saline injections, stretching the surgery site enough that the surgeons could then, in one operation, fix the defect.

Honestly, vanity made little 8 year old me bawl my head off. The idea of being a freak with a lump sticking out of me was unbearable. It would have been the simpler, less painful option, but no. I lost my ever loving mind.

Very brave of you.. and I can understand what you went though..

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
couldn't they have grown the nose somewhere else?

He's really lucky he didn't need a new pe nis! 8O

I guess we are lucky for that too. ;-)
that would have made him a ****head. ;)

I'm sorry that you had to go through that at age 8. :(

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
nearly 30 years ago, my friend's daughter was born without a left ear. Whne she was in her teens, they grew a human ear on the back of a mouse. The transplant failed, but they have successfully grown human parts on mice and pigs since.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
nearly 30 years ago, my friend's daughter was born without a left ear. Whne she was in her teens, they grew a human ear on the back of a mouse. The transplant failed, but they have successfully grown human parts on mice and pigs since.

:shock:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
couldn't they have grown the nose somewhere else?

I'm just guessing, but, I suspect that they grew it where they did so that they can slice the nose part away, but leave the bridge part attached, swing the nose down, suture it in place, without it ever being severed from its blood supply. Thus it won't be a real 'transplant', which carries a high risk of failing due to lack of blood flow.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It reminds me of the 1987 episode of Blackadder - Dish and Dishonesty - in which Blackadder tries to make the disgusting creature Baldrick an MP:

Blackadder: Right. Now all we have to do is fill in this MP application form. Name: Baldrick. First name...?
Baldrick: Er, I'm not sure.
Blackadder: Well, you must have some idea...
Baldrick: Well, it might be Sod Off.
Blackadder: What?
Baldrick: Well, when I used to play in the gutter, I used to say to the other snipes, "Hello, my name's Baldrick," and they'd say, "Yes, we know. Sod off, Baldrick."
Blackadder: All right, right right right right, Mr. S. Baldrick. Now; distinguishing features... None.
Baldrick: Well, I've got this big growth in the middle of my face.
Blackadder: That's your NOSE, Baldrick. Now; any history of insanity in the family? Tell you what, I'll cross out the "in-". Any history of SANITY in the family? None whatsoever. Now then; criminal record...
Baldrick: Absolutely not.
Blackadder: Oh, come on, Baldrick, you're going to be an MP, for God's sake! I'll just put fraud and sexual deviancy. Now; minimum bribe level...
Baldrick: One turnip. Oh, hang on, I don't want to price myself out of the market.
Blackadder: Baldrick, I've always been meaning to ask: Do you have any ambitions in life apart from the acquisition of turnips?
Baldrick: Er, no.
Blackadder: So what would you do if I gave you a thousand pounds?
Baldrick: I'd get a little turnip of my own.
Blackadder: So what would you do if I gave you a million pounds?
Baldrick: Oh, that's different. I'd get a great big turnip in the country.
Blackadder: [someone knocks at the door] Oh God, I'll get that. Here
[pushes paper to Baldrick]
Blackadder: , sign here.
[motions where with his hand; Baldrick marks an 'X' on Edmund's palm; Edmund presses his palm against the application]

Last edited: