Monster black hole eats worlds

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Monster black hole eats worlds

A new study claims a supermassive black hole at the centre of our galaxy is ripping apart entire worlds on a daily basis.

The research by scientists led by Dr Kastytis Zubovas from the University of Leicester in the United Kingdom, explains why Sagittarius A, a giant black hole 26,000 light-years from Earth, flares up in spectacular daily displays of x-rays and infrared radiation.

Writing on the pre-press website ArXiv.org, Zubovas and colleagues propose Sagittarius A, which is 4,000,000 times the mass of the Sun, is destroying planets and asteroids that have formed in a torus of dust and gas around the black hole.

They claim these clouds are a mixture of primordial chemicals and the remains of stars that have already been shredded by the black hole.

That's a similar environment to the protoplanetary disks around stars in which planets form.
Black hole solar systems

This hypothesis has raised the possibility that planetary systems could be evolving around the Milky Way's central black hole in the same way that they would around a star.

Michele Bannister, a graduate student in planetary astronomy at the Australian National University's Mt Stromlo Observatory, says it is plausible that planets can form on the edge of a black hole.

"While the galactic centre is an incredibly energetic environment, planets are very resilient and so could form there," says Bannister.

She says the daily eruption of x-rays and infrared radiation provides clues about the numbers of asteroids, comets and planets likely to exist close to the galactic centre.
Planetary death

While this region may be conducive to the formation of planets and asteroids, Zubovas and colleagues point out that it's also an area where these bodies are destroyed as they move too close to the central black hole.

When this happens, a burst of x-rays and infrared radiation a hundred times greater than normal background energy is detected coming from Sagittarius A, they report.

But the radiation released as the planets and asteroids are destroyed is just a tiny fraction of the levels released when a star falls into the black hole, an event which is estimated to happen once every 100,000 years.

Associate Professor Alistair Graham from Melbourne's Swinburne University says scientitsts have only recently been able to understand how stars and planets can form in hostile environments near supermassive black holes.

"Most, if not all galaxies are thought to have supermassive black holes at their centres."

"The huge bursts of energy and particles beaming out from these gravity wells as stars are torn apart, couldn't explain the small scale x-ray and infrared flares seen daily from Sagittarius A", says Graham.

"However this energy output does match the levels expected from an in falling asteroid or planet."

source: Monster black hole eats worlds › News in Science (ABC Science)

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
President Obama has announced that he will seek international support for a "limited, surgical strike" on the black hole designed to "punish its conduct and degrade its capability to consume worlds."

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
well, something's got to discipline all those rogue planets!

all conjecture. none of it 'science' as it could never be 'proven'... well.. to me anyway.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
well, something's got to discipline all those rogue planets!

all conjecture. none of it 'science' as it could never be 'proven'... well.. to me anyway.

In a few months, expect the UN to issue press releases that we are on the verge of being swallowed by the black hole.... Only a Cosmic Hole Tax can save us from this plight.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I don't get what the big deal is with a black hole. The Road Runner was always using it to escape from Wile E. Coyote, quite sucessfully I might add.

Seems like a very useful thing to me.;)

Lol

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I'm sorta wondering if the scientists have name that Black Hole.. I'd name it Hoover.

The suction power of a vacuum cleaner.
Haven't you ever read a comic book? It's name is Galactus.

If you see a shiny guy on a shiny surfboard, time to update your will.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I'm sorta wondering if the scientists have name that Black Hole.. I'd name it Hoover.

The suction power of a vacuum cleaner.
The impeached pervert, Clinton, would name it Monica.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Personally, I don't see the problem.. It's 26,000 light years away... That kinda makes it Generation Why's problem

Its no ones problem unless there is life on the planets being eaten. No one on Earth is at risk or ever will be by this particular black hole unless something big changes.

Really go outside and look at the sky.. just how lucky we are to be on this planet and just how insignificant we are in the greater scheme of things..

We are so blessed to live on this planet, and we are destroying it..

We may destroy ourselves and do a lot of damage but the Earth would likely go on fine without us. It has several billion years left at least. More than enough time to recover from anything we do unless we come up with a way to physically destroy the Earth.

And beyond that, there's really nothing that can be done about it anyway.

Relocate. Not in the near future obviously but in the very long term any life that hopes to survive will have to move one way or another.