Red Dust Storm Overtaking Australia’s Coast

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
We’ve showed you the heartbreaking pictures of a family hunkered down in the water under a dock as they escaped raging wildfires in Australia earlier this week. And although the record temperatures dropped slightly, temporarily reducing the wildfire risks, a Category 3 cyclone is headed toward the country now.
Sandwiched between these two extreme weather events, Western Australia was also exposed to a haboob — a large dust storm — earlier this week, which resulted in stunning images of a massive, red wall of dust as it approached Onslow.
Perth Weather Live collected images of the event in an album on Facebook.

more and video

The Images Showing a Red Dust Storm Overtaking Australia’s Coast Are Breathtaking | Video | TheBlaze.com

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
We used get storms like that on the Prairie, not as much since cultivating fields is going by the wayside thanks to air seeders.

Maybe it's just not being used to seeing them but those dust storms always have an 'apocalyptic' look to them I think.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Maybe it's just not being used to seeing them but those dust storms always have an 'apocalyptic' look to them I think.
Not even as close to terrifying as a hail laden funnel cloud.

We get those walls of doom as snow too.

Definetly freaky looking in red though.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Not even as close to terrifying as a hail laden funnel cloud.

We get those walls of doom as snow too.

Definetly freaky looking in red though.

Up close and in person, I have no doubt it's all very frightening! I'm no where near as brave as I portray myself to be on the internet, lol.

All weather phenomenon can be very scary and yes the red makes it ominous but with photos I find it's the scale that really makes it freaky. It's like those satellite storm photos, when you see the size as compared to the land mass it's impressive. A photo of lightening striking in the distance or a massive tornado, again usually from a distance, I guess it downplays it somewhat. But that red wall, I don't even know how many stories high, with the people in the foreground....there is just no getting around how massive that is.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's just the big bad wolf trying to blow your house down. You get used to it when it's sometimes every second evening for a month.