Surprise volcanic eruption in New Zealand

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The eruption had been “really unexpected”.
“You can measure and monitor but sometimes mother nature will do her own thing.”
Yeah, like climate. From stuff.co.nz: (h/t to reader Dr K.A. Rodgers)

Mt Tongariro has erupted, with ash fall closing roads and prompting a potential threat warning for central North Island regions.

The eruption at 11.50pm last night threw rocks and spewed ash from the Te Mari craters, near Ketetahi hot springs, on the northern side of the mountain, GNS Science said.

Civil Defence said volcanic activity could pose a threat to Waikato, Hawke’s Bay, Gisborne, Manawatu-Whanganui, Bay of Plenty and Taranaki.

People living in those areas were advised to stay indoors with all the windows and doors closed and listen to the radio for updated emergency information and instructions.

The Desert Road section of State Highway 1, northeast of the mountain, and State Highway 46, to the north, had been closed due to the ash.

Ash had reportedly fallen as far east as Napier, police said.

The eruption had been “really unexpected”.

“You can measure and monitor but sometimes mother nature will do her own thing.”

story and video:

Surprise volcanic eruption in New Zealand | Watts Up With That?

Mt Tongariro Volcano Erupts in New Zealand | Civil... | Stuff.co.nz

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Cabbage head must be on the plane by now to go protest all the GHG emissions. Wonder if he will take the volcano to court for polluting? LOL

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
All you fellas count as fear mongerers.Do you have a solution for the problem Tonn? No? Didnt think so.
Mother natures a bitch,stop trying to **** with her or start trying to help her.
Start by not scaring the living **** out of peeps with a bunch of bull****, that may help your agenda.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
All you fellas count as fear mongerers.

So then you're just ignorant then, because volcanoes have received plenty of attention and mention. Or you know it's not true, in which case you're just a liar.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
So then you're just ignorant then, because volcanoes have received plenty of attention and mention. Or you know it's not true, in which case you're just a liar.

Ya whatever young man.
Let me know when your mature enough to have an adult conversation.

Look's like it could be a couple years yet.

Kid's!
No solution,no answers,just fearmongering.

I have one reclamation award from the KIA under my belt,that makes me feel like I'm doing something thats right at least.

What have you done Tonnington?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Ya whatever young man.

No, not whatever. You were wrong when you said volcanoes aren't mentioned. Deal with it old man.

I have one reclamation award from the KIA under my belt,that makes me feel like I'm doing something thats right at least.

What have you done Tonnington?

Well, goody for you. Did I say you were doing anything wrong? Some of us grow out of that need for attention. Gold star for you and a hero cookie. What does any of this have to do with volcanoes?

None.