Almost -80F in Alaska

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Bitter cold records broken in Alaska – all time coldest record nearly broken, but Murphy’s Law intervenes

Jim River, AK closed in on the all time record coldest temperature of -80°F set in 1971, which is not only the Alaska all-time record, but the record for the entire United States. Unfortunately, it seems the battery died in the weather station just at the critical moment.

While the continental USA has a mild winter and has set a number of high temperature records in the last week and pundits ponder whether they will be blaming the dreaded “global warming” for those temperatures, Alaska and Canada have been suffering through some of the coldest temperatures on record during the last week.

For example in Circle Hot Springs, AK on Sunday, 29 Jan 2012 the HIGH temperature was a blistering -49°F, breaking the -44°F record which has stood since 1917. It gets better.

That same day in Circle Hot Springs the low temperature was -58°F breaking the old record of -52°F set in 1941 by six degrees.

more...

Bitter cold records broken in Alaska – all time coldest record nearly broken, but Murphy’s Law intervenes | Watts Up With That?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
It's supposed to be above freezing for the next couple of days(even around 7C!). This has been a pretty mild winter so far for us locally. Seeing how cold it got there, it makes me even happier for it.;)

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It's supposed to be above freezing for the next couple of days(even around 7C!). This has been a pretty mild winter so far for us locally. Seeing how cold it got there, it makes me even happier for it.;)

Usually hearing about how cold it gets elsewhere makes me appreciate those -9C days, but this winter has been really weird. It's supposed to be 8C this afternoon! I still keep thinking we're going to get bitch slapped for it all at some point, lol.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Usually hearing about how cold it gets elsewhere makes me appreciate those -9C days, but this winter has been really weird. It's supposed to be 8C this afternoon! I still keep thinking we're going to get bitch slapped for it all at some point, lol.

I hope we don't get slapped down. I am hopeful for an early spring!

I believe you live about an hour and a half away from me. What temperature did it reach there? It got to around 10C today here in Chatham!!!:)

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Maybe this is just balance for last years bitch slap called Winter?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
People in winter related industries such as selling snow plows, salt, and shovels are going out of business because of lack of winter conditions here in Gopherland. Too bad, they say, all the cold is bottled up there in Alaska.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I hope it stays mild I have been out pruning apple trees in shirt sleeves the day was sunny
and about ten above. I have a long way to go so I don't need rain or snow or wind or cold.
Just keep it like it is for a month. Of course that would bring on an early spring and risk of
serious frost. The Okanagan Valley is a good place to be.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I hope we don't get slapped down. I am hopeful for an early spring!

I believe you live about an hour and a half away from me. What temperature did it reach there? It got to around 10C today here in Chatham!!!:)

Yeah it was 9C here in London. Only supposed to be 5C today, bummer, lol.

Maybe this is just balance for last years bitch slap called Winter?

Maybe, but the pessimist in me is wary.

Don't get me wrong guys, I'm not complaining. I just don't believe winter's over until it's over.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
European cold snap death toll rises to 71

(AP) – 22 minutes ago

KIEV, Ukraine (AP) — The death toll from a severe cold spell in Eastern Europe rose to 71 Wednesday, most of them homeless people.

Temperatures dropped to minus 30 C (minus 22 F) in some regions, causing power outages and traffic chaos and prompting authorities to close schools and nurseries.

Urkaine alone reported 43 deaths. The Emergency Situations Ministry said Wednesday that 28 people were found dead on the streets, eight died in hospitals and seven in their homes. Over 720 others were hospitalized with hypothermia and frostbite.

Authorities have deployed over 1,730 heating shelters across the country where the homeless people can get warm and eat hot food, including boiled potatoes, pork fat (a traditional Ukrainian dish), tea and coffee.

Ukraine's 1+1 channel broadcast footage of a man being treated for frostbite in his toes, which had turned completely black.

"I drank and fell asleep on the bench. I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't feel my feet," the unidentified man said from a hospital bed.

Hospitals were told not to discharge homeless patients even if their treatment was finished to save them from the cold, said Svitlana Tikhonenko, spokeswoman for the Health Ministry.

"Unfortunately, people continue to die, but we are taking all the measures to prevent it," Tikhonenko said.

Some experts suggested the high death toll from the cold was linked to authorities' unwillingness and incompetence in dealing with the homeless.

Pavlo Rozenko, an expert on social policy with the Kiev-based Razumkov Center, said Ukrainian authorities suffer from the Soviet legacy of viewing the homeless as alcoholics, drug addicts and do-nothings who need to be punished and locked away from society instead of helped.

"The country doesn't know yet how to take care of its homeless," Rozenko said.

Cold deaths were also reported in Poland, Romania, Serbia and Bulgaria.

In Russia, only one death in Moscow was attributed to the cold, even though temperatures fell to minus 21 C (minus 6 F). The Russian Emergencies Ministry is not reporting deaths across the country yet.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I just wish Mother Nature would make up her mind one way or the other...........this teeter tooter effect of cold one day and warm ( if you call 5 C warm) the next, really inhales. Where once we had a dry cold in winter, we are now not so blessed to be having very damp, mild winters with maybe one week of bitter cold. We have had about a foot of snow since the cold snap was banished by a Chinook but again, it is damp snow, not the light fluffy and easy to shovel white stuff. One more month and we will be turning the corner.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Bitter cold records broken in Alaska – all time coldest record nearly broken, but Murphy’s Law intervenes

Jim River, AK closed in on the all time record coldest temperature of -80°F set in 1971, which is not only the Alaska all-time record, but the record for the entire United States. Unfortunately, it seems the battery died in the weather station just at the critical moment.

While the continental USA has a mild winter and has set a number of high temperature records in the last week and pundits ponder whether they will be blaming the dreaded “global warming” for those temperatures, Alaska and Canada have been suffering through some of the coldest temperatures on record during the last week.

For example in Circle Hot Springs, AK on Sunday, 29 Jan 2012 the HIGH temperature was a blistering -49°F, breaking the -44°F record which has stood since 1917. It gets better.

That same day in Circle Hot Springs the low temperature was -58°F breaking the old record of -52°F set in 1941 by six degrees.

more...

Bitter cold records broken in Alaska – all time coldest record nearly broken, but Murphy’s Law intervenes | Watts Up With That?

according the net: -80f=-62.22222222222223c8O

i wonder if the palin family's brains are frozen?;)

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Groundhog Day! Big holiday back East. People here in Gopherland don't celebrate it. And for some reason, they persist in calling ground hogs ''wood chucks''. Weird, huh?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Yeah it was 9C here in London. Only supposed to be 5C today, bummer, lol.

Nice to see you guys having some nice weather. With London being in the Snow Belt, you guys always get slammed with a heck of a lot more snow than Chatham.8O

European cold snap death toll rises to 71

(AP) – 22 minutes ago

KIEV, Ukraine (AP) — The death toll from a severe cold spell in Eastern Europe rose to 71 Wednesday, most of them homeless people.

Temperatures dropped to minus 30 C (minus 22 F) in some regions, causing power outages and traffic chaos and prompting authorities to close schools and nurseries.

Urkaine alone reported 43 deaths. The Emergency Situations Ministry said Wednesday that 28 people were found dead on the streets, eight died in hospitals and seven in their homes. Over 720 others were hospitalized with hypothermia and frostbite.

Authorities have deployed over 1,730 heating shelters across the country where the homeless people can get warm and eat hot food, including boiled potatoes, pork fat (a traditional Ukrainian dish), tea and coffee.

Ukraine's 1+1 channel broadcast footage of a man being treated for frostbite in his toes, which had turned completely black.

"I drank and fell asleep on the bench. I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't feel my feet," the unidentified man said from a hospital bed.

Hospitals were told not to discharge homeless patients even if their treatment was finished to save them from the cold, said Svitlana Tikhonenko, spokeswoman for the Health Ministry.

"Unfortunately, people continue to die, but we are taking all the measures to prevent it," Tikhonenko said.

Some experts suggested the high death toll from the cold was linked to authorities' unwillingness and incompetence in dealing with the homeless.

Pavlo Rozenko, an expert on social policy with the Kiev-based Razumkov Center, said Ukrainian authorities suffer from the Soviet legacy of viewing the homeless as alcoholics, drug addicts and do-nothings who need to be punished and locked away from society instead of helped.

"The country doesn't know yet how to take care of its homeless," Rozenko said.

Cold deaths were also reported in Poland, Romania, Serbia and Bulgaria.

In Russia, only one death in Moscow was attributed to the cold, even though temperatures fell to minus 21 C (minus 6 F). The Russian Emergencies Ministry is not reporting deaths across the country yet.

Stories like that show just how nasty winter weather has the potential to be!8O

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Nice to see you guys having some nice weather. With London being in the Snow Belt, you guys always get slammed with a heck of a lot more snow than Chatham.8O

Everyone says that but I don't find we tend to get all that much snow usually. Maybe once every two or three years we'll take a really big walloping. Like shut down the city for a day or two big, but mostly I don't find it all that bad.

Mind you I lived in Ottawa for almost 20 years and the winters there are brutal, so that could be a "everything is all relative" perspective.

I just wish Mother Nature would make up her mind one way or the other...........this teeter tooter effect of cold one day and warm ( if you call 5 C warm) the next, really inhales. Where once we had a dry cold in winter, we are now not so blessed to be having very damp, mild winters with maybe one week of bitter cold. We have had about a foot of snow since the cold snap was banished by a Chinook but again, it is damp snow, not the light fluffy and easy to shovel white stuff. One more month and we will be turning the corner.

I agree with you there. All this back and forth, warm-ish and damp one day then freezing and dry the next, really takes it out of you.

Groundhog Day Montage - YouTube

I don't care if it see's its shadow or not. I'm thinking, other than the
odd snowstorm & spring blizzard or two, Winter is pretty much done
out here. Good ridance to it too.

Lol, other than blizzards and snowstorms, it's practically spring. ;)