Top 5 science scandals of 2011

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The Scientist published last month their list of the top 5 scientific scandals, reflecting on some high profile retractions and controversies:
Five New Scandals in 2011:
More than 100 retractions expected
The work of Diederik Stapel, who headed the Institute for Behavioral Economics Research at Tilburg University in the Netherlands, epitomizes the old saying that if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Stapel routinely came out with counterintuitive findings that seemed to capture human nature, peppering the headlines of media outlets around the world. But at least 30 of Stapel’s papers were retracted after evidence of massive data fabrication was uncovered, and many scientists expect that number to continue to grow. In total, more than 100 published papers could be affected by the fraud. Among the most novel of his findings to be retracted: that thoughts of meat make people surly, and that a chaotic environment makes people more likely to stereotype.
Mouse virus and chronic fatigue
The link between a mouse leukemia virus and chronic fatigue syndrome made waves when it was first announced in 2009. But after several labs failed to recreate the link, the paper, which was cited 200 times, was retracted. The story took a turn for the dramatic when Whittemore Peterson Institute director Judy Mikovits, who led the retracted 2009 study, refused to hand over key lab notebooks. She allegedly had an underling take the notebooks, then skipped town to California. She has been arrested on counts of felony theft, jailed overnight, and is now awaiting trial.
Short-lived longevity paper
Boston University biostatistician Paolo Sebastiani retracted a splashy paper identifying 19 genes associated with extreme longevity in centenarians. Within days of publication, critics wondered whether the strong correlation they found was due to an error in the sequencing chip the team used. After reworking their data to eliminate the source of error, the researchers found that the magnitude of the correlation was less impressive, and Science ultimately retracted the paper, which was cited 25 times in just a year. The researchers have resubmitted the revised findings to another journal.
Arsenic-based life
In late 2010, NASA researcher Felisa Wolfe-Simon and colleagues reportedly uncovered a species of bacteria in Mono Lake that not only survived in unusually high levels of arsenic and low levels of phosphorus, but also appeared to incorporate arsenic into its DNA backbone. However, critics were soon questioning the results, citing poor DNA extraction techniques and a supposedly phosphate-free growth medium which actually did contain phosphate. Science published 8 technical comments about the work in May, though the paper, which has been cited 26 times, has yet to be retracted.
Climate change-up
A controversial climate change paper was retracted when it was found to contain passages lifted from other sources, including Wikipedia. The paper, published by climate change skeptic Edward Wegman of George Mason University in Computational Statistics and Data Analysis in 2008, showed that climatology is an inbred field where most researchers collaborate with and review each other’s work. But a resourceful blogger uncovered evidence of plagiarism, and the journal retracted the paper, which was cited 8 times, in May.
They also included a top 5 of high profile cases of misconduct:
University president retracts paper
Virologist Naoki Mori of the University of the Ryukyus in Japan was suspended from his job last year for image duplication that led to the retraction of 20 papers. Now it seems that one of the papers being retracted, a report on the discovery of a downregulator of apoptosis published in Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, was co-authored by the president of the university, Teruo Iwamasa. The president denies knowing anything about the image duplication. The study was cited 5 times.
The not-so-moral mind
Harvard cognition researcher Mark Hauser resigned in July, after his colleagues voted to bar him from teaching this fall and restrict his research duties. In his letter, he cites private sector opportunities as well as an interest in working with at-risk teenagers. The well-known researcher, whose work includes Moral Minds, retracted a 2002 Cognition paper last year showing that cotton-top tamarins could generalize patterns. Questions were also raised about two other papers, one of which was corrected, while the findings for the other were confirmed.
Immune system fraud
Another paper from immunologist Sylvia Bulfone-Paus has been retracted for incorrect image information. Last year, the Research Center Borstel director retracted 12 articles and was forced to step down after an investigation found widespread data and image manipulation. That investigation pointed to two former post-docs in her lab, Elena Bulanova and Vadim Budagian, as the culprits, but the newly retracted paper, which was cited 5 times, does not include Bulanova or Budaigian as co-authors and predates Bulfone-Paus’s tenure at the Research Center Borstel.
Duke University sued
The families of breast cancer patients who died are suing Duke University for fraudulently and negligently allowing a flawed cancer trial to continue. The patients were enrolled in a trial led by oncologist Anil Potti, who last year admitted to pretending to be a Rhodes Scholar and to fabricating a statistical analysis of chemotherapy response in breast cancer. The plaintiffs claim that Duke knew of problems with Potti and his colleague cancer geneticist Joseph Nevins’ work, but allowed the trial to continue.
Science saboteur
In May, the Office of Research Integrity announced its finding that postdoc Vipul Bhrigu is guilty of misconduct. Grad student Heather Ames thought she was going crazy when her experimental results kept messing up. But after conducting experiments in her boyfriends’ lab and getting solid results, she suspected foul play. Sure enough, her colleague Brighu was caught on tape sabotaging her samples. In July 2010 he pled guilty to malicious destruction of property and received 6 months of probation and a $10,000 fine.
The science saboteur one really caught my eye. I remember reading about this at work late in 2010. Ames had encountered many problems. For a while she was getting results in different lanes of her blot tests than she expected when she ran her gels. She thought she might have mislabeled. Then she started finding proteins in her blot tests that should not have been present. Then, when she would go to check on her cell culture in the morning, none of the cells were adhered to the cell factories in the vessels, they would literally ooze off the plate, and there would be a strong odour of alcohol. Vipul Bhrigu had been sneaking into the lab after hours, and spraying ethanol inside the vessels, along with changing labels and all sorts of other shenanigans. Jealous bastard!

You can read the back story to that misconduct here:
Research integrity: Sabotage! : Nature News

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The problem is the science community in many cases has climbed into bed with
vested special interests. It has been that way for a long time however today the
Internet and other social media is able to ferret these scams out pretty quick.
Take Cold FX for example, this was the miracle for colds, except its suspect.
I does not work the information surrounding it is misleading and it is not made in
Canada as the company would have you believe.
The only cheerleader left is Don Cherry need I say more
It is science for money instead of science for discovery. It is like saying its a
form of data based prostitution. In other words in many cases science ain't
science anymore. The same as news ain't news anymore its more like
entertainment with some financial news thrown in.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I does not work the information surrounding it is misleading and it is not made in

How is that science getting involved with vested interests? That's what happens when marketing departments push the envelope of what they can say with any validity.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
The problem is the science community in many cases has climbed into bed with
vested special interests. It has been that way for a long time however today the
Internet and other social media is able to ferret these scams out pretty quick.
The only cheerleader left is Don Cherry need I say more
It is science for money instead of science for discovery. It is like saying its a
form of data based prostitution. In other words in many cases science ain't
science anymore. The same as news ain't news anymore its more like
entertainment with some financial news thrown in.
Because of the nature of science itself, what is true eventually comes out regardless of how much fraud and whatnot is involved. It doesn't need the internet and social media to do that.
Take the woman who found her experiments were being sabotaged. She used science to uncover the facts.

Science is just a tool, like a firearm, screwdriver, or whatever. It is people that use science that screw up or use it for nefarious reasons. Science is just science. I thought I explained that before.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The scientific community only becomes stronger when it retracts fraudulent material such as this.

Good work Tonn.

The truth is precious.

Manro_FX

Jan 14, 2012
Canada

In one of mylast books taken lately, I’ve read that philosophy as a science or a way ofthinking is obsolete.
Replaced byPhysics, question of belief becomes parametric equation, where our influence isof no existence for a reason; in a world… Freedom replaced by probabilityequation.
The author ofthis book is Stephen Hawking and a title is ‘The Grand Design’.
Iwill question this statement as the most damaging to essence of our lives inprincipal constants:

EcceHomo

Cogitoergo Sum

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
The scientific community only becomes stronger when it retracts fraudulent material such as this.

Good work Tonn.

The truth is precious.
Yup. That's the nifty thing about science and scientists. The process is self-correcting.

lol Ok, I gotta ask; what's the "Aha!" referring to?

In one of mylast books taken lately, I’ve read that philosophy as a science or a way ofthinking is obsolete.
Replaced byPhysics, question of belief becomes parametric equation, where our influence isof no existence for a reason; in a world… Freedom replaced by probabilityequation.
The author ofthis book is Stephen Hawking and a title is ‘The Grand Design’.
Iwill question this statement as the most damaging to essence of our lives inprincipal constants:

EcceHomo

Cogitoergo Sum
I don't think science can come close to making philosophy obsolete. Science has a distinctly tough time with qualities of abstracts. Can physics describe morality? Can it describe beliefs? Can it describe compassion?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The problem is that science once exposed the fraud and inconsistent statements made
by the less honest. Today many in the scientific community, say nothing either because
they are part of the distortion or in some cases they are afraid of the fallout. The one
thing going for society is there are still those who will stand up. And yes science does in
fact eventually arrive at the truth, I agree. However, social media does speed up the
process. and science itself comes under scrutiny.
As for cold FX this is much more than over stating the claims on the package it is out
right distortion. If you watched Marketplace on CBC they travelled all the way to China
where the Canadian product is made. They also found out the company was warned
not to use the Chinese factory because it was filthy. The list of inconsistencies was long
and the truth was nowhere to be found. The great Don Cherry was the only one to
comment. He said basically oh Scientists what do they know or words to that effect.
Eventually science does get to the truth, but, in the meantime, a lot of people sometimes
pay the price, for the benefit of some very vested interests.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
The problem is that science once exposed the fraud and inconsistent statements made
by the less honest. Today many in the scientific community, say nothing either because
they are part of the distortion or in some cases they are afraid of the fallout. The one
thing going for society is there are still those who will stand up. And yes science does in
fact eventually arrive at the truth, I agree. However, social media does speed up the
process. and science itself comes under scrutiny.
As for cold FX this is much more than over stating the claims on the package it is out
right distortion. If you watched Marketplace on CBC they travelled all the way to China
where the Canadian product is made. They also found out the company was warned
not to use the Chinese factory because it was filthy. The list of inconsistencies was long
and the truth was nowhere to be found. The great Don Cherry was the only one to
comment. He said basically oh Scientists what do they know or words to that effect.
Eventually science does get to the truth, but, in the meantime, a lot of people sometimes
pay the price, for the benefit of some very vested interests.
Oh, definitely. The speed in getting to the facts of a matter may also be confounded by media, too.

Manro_FX

Jan 14, 2012
Canada

Ithink that the myth of Science as a ‘Philosophical Stone’, concept born in lateMiddle Ages, is overrated. Science is Prosthetics for us to function on levelacceptable to us.
Tryto imagine us as ants walking the surface of a huge balloon, yelling on top ofour lungs that we know almost all, when we do not know what is under.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I don't think science can come close to making philosophy obsolete. Science has a distinctly tough time with qualities of abstracts. Can physics describe morality? Can it describe beliefs? Can it describe compassion?

Did you see the study about the compassionate rats? I found it extremely amusing, because I figure if the same study was carried out on humans, one would conclude that humans have no compassion. Certainly physcis has supplanted philosophy in the understanding of reality. The understanding of existence and consciousness however... I take philosophy to be non-empirical, rational inquiry by the way.

Ithink that the myth of Science as a ‘Philosophical Stone’, concept born in lateMiddle Ages, is overrated. Science is Prosthetics for us to function on levelacceptable to us.
Tryto imagine us as ants walking the surface of a huge balloon, yelling on top ofour lungs that we know almost all, when we do not know what is under.

"Don't stick your hand in fire, because it will burn," is science, and is certainly not a prosthetic. Science is not a replacement for something that we once had, science is something that we have always had. It is an aspect of the rational mind.

Manro_FX

Jan 14, 2012
Canada
Did you see the study about the compassionate rats? I found it extremely amusing, because I figure if the same study was carried out on humans, one would conclude that humans have no compassion. Certainly physcis has supplanted philosophy in the understanding of reality. The understanding of existence and consciousness however... I take philosophy to be non-empirical, rational inquiry by the way.

"Don't stick your hand in fire, because it will burn," is science, and is certainly not a prosthetic. Science is not a replacement for something that we once had, science is something that we have always had. It is an aspect of the rational mind.

Gentleman,

As for rats, experiments and humanity;
In the basements of Psychology Department of Stanford University,Philip Zimbardo conducted the following experiment. Creating a simulation of areal prison he placed a group of fully intellectually balanced, intelligent,randomly selected students.
By a flip of coin, Zimbardo divided the group50/50 as guardiansor as prisoners. Premises later were isolated. After only six days experimenthad to be closed.
In his own worlds:
“What we have seen was appalling and horrible…. It was nolonger clear the difference between a real person and an actor playing a role… Allhuman values learned throughout their lives were suspended… The most ugly,repelling, pathologic face of human nature took place… We were shaken by imageof ‘guardians’ treating’ prisoner’s like an animals finding pleasure in cruelty…when ‘prisoners’ became subhuman serving robots thinking only about escape, surviveand growing hate towards their ‘guardians”.