Depleted Texas lakes expose ghost towns, graves

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
BLUFFTON, Texas (AP) -- Johnny C. Parks died two days before his first birthday more than a century ago. His grave slipped from sight along with the rest of the tiny town of Bluffton when Lake Buchanan was filled 55 years later.

Now, the cracked marble tombstone engraved with the date Oct. 15, 1882, which is normally covered by 20 to 30 feet of water, has been eerily exposed as a yearlong drought shrinks one of Texas' largest lakes.

Across the state, receding lakes have revealed a prehistoric skull, ancient tools, fossils and a small cemetery that appears to contain the graves of freed slaves. Some of the discoveries have attracted interest from local historians, and looters also have scavenged for pieces of history. More than two dozen looters have been arrested at one site.

"In an odd way, this drought has provided an opportunity to view and document, where appropriate, some of these finds and understand what they consist of," said Pat Mercado-Allinger, the Texas Historical Commission's archeological division director. "Most people in Texas probably didn't realize what was under these lakes."

Texas finished its driest 12 months ever with an average of 8.5 inches of rain through September, nearly 13 inches below normal. Water levels in the region's lakes, most of which were manmade, have dropped by more than a dozen feet in many cases.

The vanishing water has revealed the long-submerged building foundations of Woodville, Okla., which was flooded in 1944 when the Red River was dammed to form Lake Texoma. A century-old church has emerged at Falcon Lake, which straddles the Texas-Mexico border on the Rio Grande.

more

News from The Associated Press

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Whoa..........great find, Locutus. On the one hand, sounds like Texas is in dire need of rain; on the other, it is pretty cool that all that old history is coming to light.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I once climbed the highest point in MJ during my many years living in SK.

It was the War Memorial in downtown Moose Jaw. :lol:

Actually, at the time (I hear its' been restored so who knows) you could enter inside the base of the monument from a bronze ammo box (I think that's what it was anyway) up top. So being mature well-adjusted young men, we took our beers down inside just to say we did.

The highest point in North Battleford was a snowbank outside the Frontier Mall.

The highest point in Unity was the second floor of the building we held Kinsmen meetings in.

Otherwise, the province is, as my dad used to say, flatter than piss on a plate. ;-)

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I once climbed the highest point in MJ during my many years living in SK.

It was the War Memorial in downtown Moose Jaw. :lol:

Actually, at the time (I hear its' been restored so who knows) you could enter inside the base of the monument from a bronze ammo box (I think that's what it was anyway) up top. So being mature well-adjusted young men, we took our beers down inside just to say we did.

The highest point in North Battleford was a snowbank outside the Frontier Mall.

The highest point in Unity was the second floor of the building we held Kinsmen meetings in.

Otherwise, the province is, as my dad used to say, flatter than piss on a plate. ;-)

My ex always used to say that he could see the curvature of the earth while traveling through Sask. :smile:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I would love to dive some of these submerged towns. Of course not this one, I'd walk this one.

There's one along the St. Lawrence near Long Sioux.........Long Soo.........whatever. The road runs right into the river. They dive along there quite a bit. Flooded when the Seaway went in. You knew that , eh.

Back to the OP.............How did they know the graves contained "freed slaves"............as opposed to not free.?? Billboards??

Free a slave

Try Burma Shave

The girls will rave.

Three miles - graves.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
There's one along the St. Lawrence near Long Sioux.........Long Soo.........whatever. The road runs right into the river. They dive along there quite a bit. Flooded when the Seaway went in. You knew that , eh..

Actually I didn't, but I'm going to check it out. Thanks.