another move across the country question


View Poll Results: What hyway for easy haul over the rockies
hwy 3 through lethbrige 0 0%
hwy 1 through calgary 1 33.33%
hwy 16 through edmonton 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

trishica
#1
Hi Everyone. I will be moving from Vancouver area to Onterrible. Sad but true.

My question is about the three routes. 3 or 1 or 16. According to the maps there isn't too much difference in time. We will be towing a trailer with some weight in it, I am wondering what would be the most gentle road. I have taken 3 and 1a while back, but never 16.

To make the move even more fun the two little ones will be travelling with us. 4 years and the other is 5 months. I know I can't expect to get too much travelled in a day, but hoping for 8 hours. I plan on taking at least a week.

Any suggestions for the route? Paticular stops. Anything else?

Thanks in advance

Trish
 
Liberalman
#2
With a comment like Onterrible you should take the southern route 3 and 6 but I drove that route once and I thought I was going to lose it and I didn’t have young kids to deal with.

Highway 16 is to far north you are probably thinking of the Yellowhead to La Portage in Manatoba.

It takes four hours to drive staight down to Calgary from Edmonton so if you go through Edmonton from Vancouver you will be wasting eight hours of driving.

#1 or the Trans Canada is your best route.

If you take the southern route it is more scenic but the road is at the base of the mountains so you are doing a lot of zig-zagging you will actually see the roads you traveled on half an hour ago. It’s nice for the first part but it gets boring

That’s why Trans-Canada highway or #1 built their highway to the north, an easier route to Calgary and better for towing trailers.

Depending where you are going to in Ontario if you take the Lake Superior route through Sault Ste Marie make sure your tank is full because there is very few service stations along that route.
Last edited by Liberalman; Apr 14th, 2009 at 01:52 AM..Reason: ....
 
shadowshiv
#3
Welcome to CC! I noticed that you are a long-time lurker, first-time poster! I hope that you have a safe trip and I also hope that you will grow to like Ontario.
 
trishica
#4
Libralman, thanks for the info re hwy 1 for truckers. I didn't know that. I have taken hwy 3 here and there, and yes, nice scenery but I was worried about the steepness of it. We will definetely go through the canada route as I don't want to get passports for everyone just to drive through. Plus I wouldn't want to chance them pulling us over and going through everything just so we can re pack. Yes, I have issues.

Dear Shadowshiv. I know evently I will get used to ontario. I did grow up there but have been out west for 10 years now. It will take me a while to get climatized. At least it will be an easy christmas for everyone... coats, hats, scrafs and boots!!!!! Yes, I have learked for a while. I don't even remember when I registered. I've been online since the early years.
 
YukonJack
#5
trishica, it depends which city in Ontario you move to.

If you are moving to, let's say, Thunder Bay, Sudbury, or generally anywhere north of Barrie, travel thru Canada. My own personal experience is that Hwy 1 is faster and more scenic than #3, but there is no difference once you hit Medicine Hat. You have no reason, whatever to take the Yellowhead. (#16)
When you arrive to Winnipeg, you can give me a call.
Along the way, in Ontario, (now you are on Hwy 17/11) you find a delightful and rustic "fort" in Vermillion Bay. Just North of Thunder Bay, the Niagara of the North, Kakabeka Falls. You can decide at Nipigon if you want to take #11 - if yes, prepare for long distances between stops. If you take #17, make sure you hit the North Shore of Superior at day time. The scenery is worth it.

However, if you move to Toronto, or anywhere east or south of Toronto, travel thru the States. All freeways, no traffic lights from Vancouver to the Border crossing. Take I5 to I90. At Billings, Montana, you will have a choice of staying on I90 or take I94. Both will take you thru Chicago. Then I94 to Detroit and 401 into Ontario. Along I90 you can take a small detour to visit DEvil's Mountain, scene of the alien landing in the movie, Close Encounters Of The Third Kind. Or make stop at Wall Drug Store, in Wall, SC a 19th century style "mall". Or take a short detour to Mount Rushmore and/or visit the Badlands. When you are in Wisconsin, don't forget to buy cheese.

Good luck travelling! And don't forget to make frequent stops.
 
shadowshiv
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by trishicaView Post


Dear Shadowshiv. I know evently I will get used to ontario. I did grow up there but have been out west for 10 years now. It will take me a while to get climatized. At least it will be an easy christmas for everyone... coats, hats, scrafs and boots!!!!! Yes, I have learked for a while. I don't even remember when I registered. I've been online since the early years.

It looks like you have been a Member since 2005. A long time before your first post, but hopefully you'll enjoy it enough here to post some more.
 
JLM
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by trishicaView Post

Hi Everyone. I will be moving from Vancouver area to Onterrible. Sad but true.

My question is about the three routes. 3 or 1 or 16. According to the maps there isn't too much difference in time. We will be towing a trailer with some weight in it, I am wondering what would be the most gentle road. I have taken 3 and 1a while back, but never 16.

To make the move even more fun the two little ones will be travelling with us. 4 years and the other is 5 months. I know I can't expect to get too much travelled in a day, but hoping for 8 hours. I plan on taking at least a week.

Any suggestions for the route? Paticular stops. Anything else?

Thanks in advance

Trish

The Yellowhead is over the lowest pass, with the easiest grades. The Crowsnest route has the most mountain passes and the highest, but probably the least traffic to contend with. The T.C.H. is probably the most direct route but there's two high passes Rogers and the Kicking Horse.
 
trishica
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

The Yellowhead is over the lowest pass, with the easiest grades. The Crowsnest route has the most mountain passes and the highest, but probably the least traffic to contend with. The T.C.H. is probably the most direct route but there's two high passes Rogers and the Kicking Horse.

Thanks!!
 

Similar Threads

22
where to move to in SK?
by bw1 | Mar 15th, 2011
11
9
To move or not to move...
by Billy | Jun 1st, 2007
3
Mod on the move!!
by Cosmo | Jan 29th, 2006
no new posts