Canadian looking to move to the United States

NikkiMac

Apr 1, 2010
I am a Canadian citizen and I work for an American company here in Canada. I was wondering how I go by moving to the United States with my husband and child. What documents am I to fill out in order to work in the States and also would my husband be able to work there right away or what does he need to do for that to happen?

theconqueror

Time Out
Feb 1, 2010
San Diego, California
First you have to apply for a green-card and reside in the U.S. Which can take 3 years. Then after 7 years of residency you are eligible for citizenship.

You must have a green-card in order to work and live in the U.S. (Unless it's a temporary work visa for 1 year)

Just go to the U.S. Department of Immigration website and fill out the online form. Then you must show up in the U.S. for your appointment and 3 years later your in!

Piece of cake! no sweat really, just have a clean record.

theconqueror

Time Out
Feb 1, 2010
San Diego, California
Btw: It's a catch 22, you have to live in the U.S. to make your appointments but you also need the green-card at the same time in order to stay in the U.S.

Wierd. But thats how it happens.

NikkiMac

Apr 1, 2010
So how am I to live there and work at the same time? Someone mentioned to me to go for 6 months and come back for a weekend and go for another 6 months. Is that more what you are referring to? Or is that not allowed? Sorry to come off a little difficult for not understanding.

theconqueror

Time Out
Feb 1, 2010
San Diego, California
So how am I to live there and work at the same time? Someone mentioned to me to go for 6 months and come back for a weekend and go for another 6 months. Is that more what you are referring to? Or is that not allowed? Sorry to come off a little difficult for not understanding.

U.S. Law requires both a Green-Card and/or Citizenship with a Social Security card in order to work in the U.S.

The only way around it is if you did what you said and work under the table but, if they catch your company not reporting your social security card it could jepodize the business.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States

Have you asked your company for a transfer to their American branch? I know that works sometimes, they would do all the paperwork for you.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The best way is to have your employer work the paperwork for you.

What qualifications does your husband have? If he has certain qualifications, he should be able to get the paperwork relatively easily under Nafta.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Well - wrong pew or not - My bestfriend (62 yrs) wants to marry an American. He wants to move to Canada. He is about 67 (I think) and he has a little heart trouble. He is concerned that his health will prevent him from moving here. Neither of them has a clue what to do. Anyone know? This is one of those neat - met on line stories and they fell in love and now want to marry. They could both use the happiness. My friend had one bad marriage and has lived alone ever since. She's been alone now for about 30 years. Her new fellow is a divorcee. She just spent a two week vacation with him in the USA and he has been to her place here in BC a few times.