Where is best to move to?

zoe0411
Well Nanaimo it is then - thank you all for your advice!! Oh and Darkbeaver, I dont work after dark haha x

zoe0411
Jesus im turning blue too!!

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by zoe0411View Post

Well Nanaimo it is then - thank you all for your advice!! Oh and Darkbeaver, I dont work after dark haha x

You won't go too far wrong with that choice. All the best to you.

ironsides

Hi all, I am looking to move to Canada Christmas 2010. I have decided on Vancouver and Vancouver Island as my choices. Could anyone give me information on the best places I should move to? I am 24 yr old registered nurse who likes to party and meet new people. I also like a bit of peace. I would like to move where I have the best of both worlds - (if there is any such thing!) I have no children, love shopping and enjoy eating out. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

South Beach Miami Florida Party capitol of the world, No problem getting a job in nursing, and not an expensive place to live.

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

I cannot possibly even begin to comprehend that number attached to 900 square feet of living space. I am soooooooooo out of touch. I am hyperventilating, I have turned blue and I'm passing out again.

I have to agree. I was amazed that anyone would buy something so small for so much. They do not have children and do not ever intend to. Kind of too late now anyway. They are approaching their mid 40's. Still - I cannot see how they would spend that amount of money so they can live downtown Vancouver and I would never be able to live in such a small space. I live in a 1500 sq. ft. home that I want to sell because I find it too small. I won't be replacing it with anything like the cost of their home. My son just built himself a home here. It is about 4000 sq. feet and his cost is under theirs (he's a builder).

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by VanIsleView Post

I have to agree. I was amazed that anyone would buy something so small for so much. They do not have children and do not ever intend to. Kind of too late now anyway. They are approaching their mid 40's. Still - I cannot see how they would spend that amount of money so they can live downtown Vancouver and I would never be able to live in such a small space. I live in a 1500 sq. ft. home that I want to sell because I find it too small. I won't be replacing it with anything like the cost of their home. My son just built himself a home here. It is about 4000 sq. feet and his cost is under theirs (he's a builder).

It's uncanny how things change. I just got to thinking back to when I was a kid in a family of 6 who lived for years in a house 32' X 22' and when I first started working I worked with a guy who had a wife and 3 kids living in an 8' X 36' trailer, so families living in 900 sq. ft. aren't all that hard done by. There's an old saying that you grow to fill the space you have..............ain't it the truth?

JLM
P.S. Of course in those days we didn't have 55" T.V.s to take up valuable space either, but the radios were fairly big.

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

P.S. Of course in those days we didn't have 55" T.V.s to take up valuable space either, but the radios were fairly big.

First place I lived in on the Barkerville highway was a mere 175 ft square log cabin built in the Great Depression. It was quite comfortable. I moved from that into a 9' X 16' tool shed I fixed up and added a 7' X7' bedroom. I miss that place. It really showed me how silly people are. Oh ya! I only spent $200 dollars and lived in it for 5 years, no rent, taxes or utility bills. Life was really good back then.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

First place I lived in on the Barkerville highway was a mere 175 ft square log cabin built in the Great Depression. It was quite comfortable. I moved from that into a 9' X 16' tool shed I fixed up and added a 7' X7' bedroom. I miss that place. It really showed me how silly people are. Oh ya! I only spent $200 dollars and lived in it for 5 years, no rent, taxes or utility bills. Life was really good back then.

But where did you find room for the jacuzzi?

darkbeaver

I have gas lamps, very romantic.

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

But where did you find room for the jacuzzi?

The second year I was there I built a 8' X 12' sauna out of reject lumber, that cost $120 and seconded as a workshop for my leather work and other crafts. I also added a kitchen using standing dead logs and recycled lumber from an abandoned bunk house for nothing. Found a really nice wood cook stove in an abandoned cabin, so I upgraded from he Coleman camp stove I was using.

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by VanIsleView Post

They simply do not and cannot value their time, that much money here where I live would provide an efficient earthhouse complete with property generated power and fish ponds and greenhouses for life. You would never have to sell another minute of your life again, you would be as free as you can get.
If we taught in schools all the alternatives like Cliffy and JLM have mentioned can you imagine the hardships and slavery we could save our children and grandchildren from. My day is ruined now, I need a big hug with my green friend.

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

They simply do not and cannot value their time, that much money here where I live would provide an efficient earthhouse complete with property generated power and fish ponds and greenhouses for life. You would never have to sell another minute of your life again, you would be as free as you can get.
If we taught in schools all the alternatives like Cliffy and JLM have mentioned can you imagine the hardships and slavery we could save our children and grandchildren from. My day is ruined now, I need a big hug with my green friend.

I won't even tell you about the rest of their life and how much waste there is then. However - I may not be your green friend but - I'm sending a big hug your way. Enjoy your day.

darkbeaver
Thanks for the hug. Normally I don't solicit hugs over the interweb. Can I have another.