Disgusted American (me) needs to jump ship. Any help is appreciated.

CaliNic

Sep 29, 2008
Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
So hello,

The short: I was born in California to my Canadian dad and American mom. I found out this morning (during my research) that this makes me automatically a Canadian
citizen (?!). I just have to apply for some certificate thing, wait 11 mos. and pay $75CAN. Then apparenly once in Canada, I get my official citizenship after 3 yrs. of residency. Groovy.

My questions:

1. I have no idea about Canada. I mean, my knowledge is typically American i.e. I know what SouthPark depicts about Canada, and I know you guys have a large French population, free healthcare, legalized pot and gay marriage. And it's freezing where my Dad is from (Saskatchewan). That's it.

2. I have a minor criminal record. A 2 year old DUI and some drunk-in-public/open-container-in-public/obstructing justice charges. Yes, I know, this makes me about as appealing a citizen as a vinegar popsicle. I don't drink or cause mayhem anymore but I'm worried that unless I get the record expunged (highly unlikely, expensive, and time consuming) then they will somehow deny me. Anyone know about this? My local consulate in Dallas couldn't give me any answers and I can't call internationally from where I'm at.

3. How hard is it going to be for me to get a job in Canada? Although I have extensive experience in the healthcare field and did go to college (unrelated music major) I am assuming I'll only be able to get a minimum wage job right off the bat. My ultimate goal is to go back to college for law and work in the non-profit industry, but I would need to live in Canada for a few years to pay the CA citizen fees as opposed to foreign national fees. Can some live on minimum wage in Canada if they take public transportation and live modestly?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Nicholle

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
Well, your honest enough- I took this from Immigration Canada-
Could I be a Canadian citizen and not know it?

In general, if you were born in Canada, you are a Canadian citizen. You are also a Canadian if you were born in another country after February 14, 1977, and one of your parents was a Canadian citizen at the time of your birth.
If you were born in another country after February 14, 1977, to a Canadian parent who was also born in another country to a Canadian parent, you may need to take steps to retain your citizenship before you turn 28 years of age. If you think this applies to you and you need more information, contact the CIC Call Centre or visit the CIC website at www.cic.gc.ca.

So if your Dad was a Canadian when you were born and your under 28, you too are Canadian.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
CaliNic

you should find this useful:

Citizenship and Immigration Canada
www.cic.gc.ca

Skip to content | Skip to institutional links
Common menu bar links
Home > Media Centre > Backgrounders – 2007
Institutional links
Backgrounder

Sample scenarios: How the proposed amendments to the Citizenship Act would affect different people

People who would obtain citizenship would include:

1. People born abroad who resided outside Canada for 10 consecutive years or more

Fictional case: In 1945, Ingrid, who was born in the Netherlands, married Robert, who was born in Canada. They had a son (Hans) in the Netherlands in 1946. In November 1946, Ingrid arrived in Canada with Hans to join Robert. Ingrid automatically became a citizen when the 1947 Canadian Citizenship Act came into force. In 1952, she returned to the Netherlands and has lived there ever since.
Ingrid ceased to be a citizen in 1962 because she lived outside Canada for 10 consecutive years before 1967.
People who left Canada for 10 consecutive years or more between 1947 and 1967, and who were neither born in Canada nor born abroad to a Canadian parent, automatically ceased to be citizens under the 1947 Act.
Citizenship status: This bill would restore citizenship to Ingrid back to the date she lost it in 1962.
2. People born abroad before 1947 to a Canadian parent (after the parents married)

Fictional case: Hans, son of Ingrid and Robert, automatically obtained citizenship on January 1, 1947, when the 1947 Canadian Citizenship Act came into force, as he was born in wedlock to a father who was born in Canada and who had also become a citizen on the same date. Hans returned to the Netherlands with his mother in 1952 and then moved to the U.K. in 1968 where he continues to reside.
Hans lost his citizenship on the day after his 24th birthday in 1970 because he was not residing in Canada on his 24th birthday, nor did he file a declaration of retention between his 21st and 24th birthday.
Citizenship status: This bill would restore citizenship to Hans back to the date he lost it in 1970.
3. People born abroad to a Canadian parent between 1947 and 1977

Fictional case: Pierre’s parents, grandparents and great-grandparents were born in Quebec and resided in a town near the U.S. border. In 1960, Pierre’s mother gave birth to him in the nearest hospital across the border.
She returned to Canada with him shortly after his birth. Pierre has lived in Canada his entire life. Pierre’s parents were not aware of the requirement to register his birth with citizenship officials. Pierre has Canadian ID such as a health card, driver’s licence and SIN card, and pays taxes and votes. He is not aware that he is not a citizen today.
Citizenship status: Pierre would obtain citizenship automatically under this bill, back to his date of birth in 1960.
4. People born abroad to a non-Canadian mother and a Canadian father (unmarried) between 1947 and 1977

Fictional case: Jennifer was born outside Canada in 1972 to a Canadian father and a non-Canadian mother. Her parents never married. Jennifer has always resided outside Canada but spends summers with her paternal grandparents in Canada. Jennifer and her non-Canadian spouse had a son (Edwin) in 1992 outside Canada. They are considering moving to Canada permanently. Jennifer has never taken any steps to acquire Canadian citizenship.
Citizenship status: Jennifer would obtain citizenship back to her date of birth under this bill. Since Jennifer is the first generation born abroad, her son Edwin is a second generation child and so will not obtain citizenship under this bill.
As a citizen, Jennifer can sponsor her spouse and any dependent children to come to Canada under immigration rules.
5. Adult dual citizen took an oath to another country between 1947 and 1977

Fictional case: Daniel was born in Alberta in 1952 to U.S. citizen parents. He was a dual citizen at birth since he was born in Canada and he obtained U.S. citizenship through his parents.
In 1974, he applied for a citizenship certificate from the U.S. authorities to have proof of his U.S. citizenship. When he picked up his certificate from the U.S. consulate in Canada, he signed a U.S. form in which he renounced all other citizenships. As a result, he automatically lost his Canadian citizenship.
Daniel has lived all his life in Canada. He contacted the CIC Call Centre to ask about his citizenship status and it was determined that he had lost his citizenship in 1974 when he got his U.S. citizenship certificate. Daniel was invited to apply for a special grant of citizenship and became a citizen in the spring of 2007.
Citizenship status: Though Daniel is a citizen today, this bill would restore citizenship to him back to the date he lost it in 1974.
6. People who lost their citizenship between 1947 and 1977 by becoming citizens of another country (adults and minors)

Fictional case: Jamal and his parents were all born in Canada. The family moved to the U.S. in 1951 and all became U.S. citizens on March 1, 1956, when Jamal was 10 years old. Jamal lost his Canadian citizenship when his parents chose to make the family U.S. citizens. Jamal remained in the U.S. and is now 61 years old with a wife, children and grandchildren who are U.S. citizens, having been born there.
In 2005, the Act was amended to allow people who lost citizenship as minors to resume citizenship without first becoming a permanent resident and residing in Canada (Bill S-2). Jamal applied for and resumed his Canadian citizenship in 2006.
Citizenship status: Though he is a citizen today, this bill would restore citizenship to Jamal (and his parents if living) back to the date they lost citizenship in 1956.
Jamal’s children are the first generation born abroad and would automatically obtain citizenship under the bill back to their date of birth.
His grandchildren born in the U.S. would not obtain citizenship under the bill since they are the second generation born abroad.
7. People adopted by a Canadian parent outside Canada between 1947 and 1977

Fictional case: Kathleen, who was born in Canada, moved to Australia in 1969. In 1973, she adopted Ruth, who had been born in Australia earlier that year. Ruth never became a Canadian citizen.
Citizenship status: Under this bill, Ruth could apply for citizenship because she was adopted by a Canadian after January 1, 1947.
8. Second or subsequent generation born abroad after 1977

Fictional case: Maria is a fourth-generation Canadian born abroad:
  • Maria was born in Belize in 2001 and has never lived in Canada.
  • Maria’s father was born in Belize in 1978 to a Canadian mother (Maria’s grandmother).
  • Maria’s grandmother was born out of wedlock in Belize in 1955 to a Canadian mother (Maria’s great-grandmother).
  • Maria’s great-grandmother was born in Belize in 1937 to a father who was born in Ontario in 1915 (Maria’s great-great-grandfather). Maria is a citizen today and must take steps and apply to keep her citizenship before she turns 28.
Citizenship status: Under this bill, Maria would remain a citizen and would no longer be required to apply, before her 28th birthday, to retain her Canadian citizenship.
If Maria has children abroad after the bill comes into force, her children would not be citizens. People who would not obtain citizenship would include:

1. Adult who renounced his citizenship to the Canadian government

Fictional case: Carlos was a 25-year-old dual citizen who obtained a job at a foreign consulate in Canada and became a diplomat. To accept the job offer, he had to formally renounce his Canadian citizenship. He applied to the Canadian government to renounce his citizenship in 2000 and it was approved by a citizenship judge later that year. Today, Carlos is not a Canadian citizen.
Citizenship status: This bill would not restore citizenship to Carlos. He can apply to resume citizenship after qualifying for and becoming a permanent resident and after residing in Canada as a permanent resident for one year.
2. People whose citizenship was revoked for fraud

Fictional case: In 1980, Nolan was convicted of theft and assault with a weapon in a home invasion in the U.S. Nolan did not disclose his conviction to immigration officials when he applied for and obtained permanent residence in Canada in 1990. He became a citizen in 1995.
In 2000, it was discovered that he lied at the time he applied for permanent residence and that the information was material to the decision to grant him status in Canada. In 2002, citizenship revocation proceedings began and Nolan’s citizenship was revoked in 2003 as his permanent resident status had been obtained as a result of fraud. Nolan was deported in late 2003.
Citizenship status: This bill would not restore citizenship to Nolan.
3. People born abroad before 1947 to a Canadian parent (before parents married)

Fictional case: Paula was born in Wales in 1943. Her father was born in Canada. Her parents married in 1945. The family moved to Canada in 1946 and have lived there ever since. Paula’s parents never applied for citizenship on her behalf and assumed she was a citizen. After hearing about problems some people had in proving their citizenship, Paula applied for a proof of citizenship.
After a review of Paula’s application, it was determined that she was never a citizen, but that she had lived in Canada as a permanent resident since her arrival in 1946. Paula was invited to apply for a special grant of citizenship and became a citizen in the spring of 2007.
Citizenship status: This bill would not have an effect on Paula. Paula was born before 1947 and did not acquire citizenship in 1947 when Canada’s first citizenship act came into effect. However, Paula would remain a citizen as she was granted citizenship in 2007.
4. Second generation born or adopted abroad after 1977

Fictional case: Ali was born in Turkey in 1979 and has resided outside Canada all his life. Ali’s mother (Janine) was born in the U.S. in 1955 to Canadian parents but Janine’s parents never registered her birth with citizenship officials. Ali and his mother applied for proof of Canadian citizenship in 2002.
As a result of her 2002 application, Janine was registered as a citizen born abroad. Since Janine’s birth was registered after 1977, Ali is considered second generation born abroad and needs to take steps to retain his citizenship before turning 28. Ali turned 28 in 2007 and never applied to retain citizenship. Ali automatically lost citizenship when he turned 28.
Citizenship status: This bill would not restore citizenship to Ali. Ali can apply to resume citizenship after qualifying for and becoming a permanent resident and after residing in Canada as a permanent resident for one year.
5. Second generation born or adopted abroad after 1947

Fictional case: Ruth was born outside Canada and adopted by a Canadian citizen in 1973. Ruth gave birth to Myron in 1999 and adopted Stephanie in 2001 outside Canada.
Citizenship status: Once this bill comes into force, Ruth could apply for and be granted citizenship.
As the second generation born or adopted abroad, Myron and Stephanie would not obtain citizenship under this bill. 6. Former British subjects born or naturalized in Canada

Fictional case: Joan was born in New Brunswick in 1925, before Canadian citizenship existed, and was therefore a British subject. In 1935, Joan and her family moved to the U.S. When the family became U.S. citizens in 1940, Joan and her father lost their British subject status. As a result, Joan did not become a Canadian citizen in 1947 when Canada’s first citizenship act came into effect.
Citizenship status: Joan would not obtain citizenship under this bill since she has never been a Canadian citizen.
Note: Any person who would not become a citizen under the bill or meet the requirements to be granted citizenship as an adopted person can either:
  1. apply for permanent residence in Canada under immigration rules; after living in Canada as a permanent resident and meeting all the requirements for citizenship, a person can then apply to become a citizen; or
  2. in situations of special and unusual hardship, a person may request consideration for a special grant of citizenship. Such applications are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
People whose citizenship would not be affected would include:

Selected examples
1. War brides and their children

Fictional case: Margaret was born in the U.K. In 1943, Margaret married Guy, a Canadian soldier born in Canada. Their daughter Emily was born in England in 1944. In 1946, Margaret and Emily arrived in Canada and have lived here ever since.
On January 1, 1947, both Margaret and Emily automatically became Canadian citizens when the Canadian Citizenship Act came into force. Citizenship status: Like almost all war brides, Margaret and her daughter Emily have been citizens since January 1, 1947. This bill would have no effect on them.
2. People born abroad to a Canadian parent between 1947 and 1977 (registered birth)

Fictional case: Isabelle’s parents, grandparents and great-grandparents were born in Saskatchewan and resided in a town near the U.S. border. In 1960, Isabelle’s mother gave birth to her at the nearest hospital across the border. She returned to Canada with her soon after her birth. Isabelle’s parents registered Isabelle’s birth with citizenship officials two months later. Isabelle has resided in Canada her entire life.
Citizenship status: The bill would have no effect on Isabelle since she is considered a citizen by birth and has never lost citizenship.

Date Modified: 2007-12-10

Top of Page

Important Notices

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/department/media/backgrounders/2007/2007-12-10b.asp

If you seek work, consider Saskatchewan or Alberta. If you want to make money, go to Fort Mc Murray.

http://www.sasknetwork.gov.sk.ca/html/Home/saskjobs/saskjobs.htm

http://www.healthjobs.ab.ca/

http://www.ability.ab.ca/

You are welcome.

Officially marijuana is illegal in Canada and if you smoke marijauna flagrantly you will get busted. Unofficially, if you stay out of a cop's face, don't cultivated or sell it, be polite an respectful, they will probably leave you alone even if they become aware you smoke it.

CaliNic

Sep 29, 2008
Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
Cool, thank you Lester! I hope my criminal record doesn't make Canada decide they don't want me.

And speaking of criminal record, I have no idea what a 'yardarm' is unless it's Canadian for bong. In which case, I'll just out myself and have to admit that I smoke zero pot and hope never to do so again. I'm one of "those" Americans that was a prodigious user of alcohol and substances and got into a whole lot of trouble while in college and beyond for partying. I'm in a 12-step program and hope never to see the inside of a jail cell or rehab again. So yeah, at 25 I'm a big old washed up loser. Say what you will.

And this is just the prespective of an American living in and travelling through some of our poorest states:

America meets all the criteria of a third world country in some areas and we're the only ones who refuse to acknowledge it. I live in one of the most economically depressed states (Louisiana) and rode out a hurricane Gustav and Ike. No power, sewage in the water, tornado warnings, no food to be had, mandatory curfews and looting. The works. Don't get me started on healthcare. I worked in the private sector before my drinking got really bad and they s***canned me and so I know exactly what Michael Moore is talking about in the documentary Sicko. I'm 5 1/2 months pregnant and have been denied medical care. No joke. I'm supposed to show up to the emergency room (12 hour wait last week) for my OB visits. It's part of the reason I have to go back to Cali, besides very badly wanting to get the F out of here.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
So hello,

The short: I was born in California to my Canadian dad and American mom. I found out this morning (during my research) that this makes me automatically a Canadian citizen (?!). I just have to apply for some certificate thing, wait 11 mos. and pay $75CAN. Then apparenly once in Canada, I get my official citizenship after 3 yrs. of residency. Groovy.

My questions:

1. I have no idea about Canada. I mean, my knowledge is typically American i.e. I know what SouthPark depicts about Canada,

Well there's a poor start on education :p

and I know you guys have a large French population,

Not really large as in the entire country, but the Province of Quebec is mostly all french, New Brunswick is bi-lingual or however you spell it, and a few small pockets here and there are french. For the most part, the majority of Canada speaks english.

free healthcare,

Well, "Universal Healthcare" which in a sense is free when you goto the hospital, but you make up for it in various taxes..... fill out your form for your MSI Health Card and once you have that, you're good.

Just sit back, get a good book and wait half your life to get seen by a doctor.

legalized pot and gay marriage.

It was decriminalized for something like a day, before the US decided to put pressure on our government to re-criminalize it, or face tougher security at the borders and longer lines...... then 9/11 happened and it didn't matter what we did.... we still have tougher security and longer lines at the borders. (Pussy ass government :angry3:)

And it's freezing where my Dad is from (Saskatchewan). That's it.

Only in the winter time. Summer can be more then hot enough. But Sask does usually get much of the colder temps compared to the rest of southren Canada (Away from the artic)

it's certainly not like we're covered in ice year round like some might make you think. 90% of Canada gets all 4 seasons much like Maine, New York, perhaps Northern Cali. (Not sure how much snow that area gets.) But the seasons arn't all that bad. My GF is from Australia and she hasn't froze to death yet.

2. I have a minor criminal record. A 2 year old DUI and some drunk-in-public/open-container-in-public/obstructing justice charges. Yes, I know, this makes me about as appealing a citizen as a vinegar popsicle.

No, that just makes you sound like a typical Canadian, welcome aboard. :p

I don't drink or cause mayhem anymore but I'm worried that unless I get the record expunged (highly unlikely, expensive, and time consuming) then they will somehow deny me. Anyone know about this? My local consulate in Dallas couldn't give me any answers and I can't call internationally from where I'm at.

Perhaps you can check this out:

How to Become a Canadian
http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/resources/publications/howto-e.asp

You cannot become a Canadian citizen if
  • you are in prison, on parole or on probation
  • in the past four years, you were in prison, on parole or on probation for a year or more
  • you were convicted of an indictable offence or crime, or an offence under the Citizenship Act in the three years preceding your application
  • you are currently charged with an indictable offence or crime, or an offence under the Citizenship Act
  • you are under a removal order (instructed by Canadian officials to leave Canada)
  • you are under investigation for, are charged with, or have been convicted of a war crime or a crime against humanity
  • your Canadian citizenship has been taken away (revoked) in the past five years
I don't think getting drunk and roudy is covered in the above, but they will check your criminal record to determine if your case is a serious issue when applying for this. It may not look good, but depending on the details, you could still be approved. If not, you can always appeal the decisions.... I think.

3. How hard is it going to be for me to get a job in Canada? Although I have extensive experience in the healthcare field and did go to college (unrelated music major) I am assuming I'll only be able to get a minimum wage job right off the bat. My ultimate goal is to go back to college for law and work in the non-profit industry, but I would need to live in Canada for a few years to pay the CA citizen fees as opposed to foreign national fees. Can some live on minimum wage in Canada if they take public transportation and live modestly?

If you have post secondary education and have been working in the health care field, then you shouldn't have any issues getting a decent job starting off, and you shouldn't have to worry about getting minimum wage. It will perhaps depend on how many years you have under your belt, but it shouldn't be an issue.

Avoid working for minimum wage at all costs. Depending on where you move to, it's hardly enough to cover rent, let alone food and other supplies..... Where I live you usually need two people on minimum wage living in the same place in order to just barely make it by.

But then again Terrance, if you don't mind living off of Kraft Dinn'a, then everything should be sweet.... *pfft*

But if you're moving to Sask. then chances are, you're not going to have to worry about Minimum Wage.... but it sure does get fk'n cold out there come December/January.

You're only major issue might be the minor criminal record, but I don't see that being anything big and they should let you through. The fact that your father is Canadian should be the green light however, and I don't think there's much they could do to not let you in, if that was the case.

CaliNic

Sep 29, 2008
Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
AWESOME! I'll fit right in.

I, however, don't share Terrence and Philip's love of Kraft products. My British grandfather (who has dual Canadian citizenship) worked for Kraft for something like 35 years and emigrated to the US because of his job with them. (hence, Daddo came and me being born here). We had lots of Kraft growing up. That s**t sucks.

I speak fluent Spanish, but I doubt that will be in great demand up there. But in Cali, you make on average $3-5 more an hour and sometimes up to $18K more a year. We'll see what kind of use Canada has for me. I eventually want to get a law degree, but not use it in a for-profit venture. I'd either work as a public defender or private criminal practice giving reduced-cost or free legal representation for those with drug/alcohol related charges.

CaliNic

Sep 29, 2008
Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
Thank you thank you thank you, Earth as one. This info will keep me busy all day, besides packing stuff up. It's been enormously helpful.

Wow, seems like Canadians don't share the same sentiments as Americans do about immigrants. We like to shoot and beat those who have the audacity to want to be here before we deport them (please note sarcastic tone). I'm excited already about coming.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Cool, thank you Lester! I hope my criminal record doesn't make Canada decide they don't want me.

And speaking of criminal record, I have no idea what a 'yardarm' is unless it's Canadian for bong. In which case, I'll just out myself and have to admit that I smoke zero pot and hope never to do so again. I'm one of "those" Americans that was a prodigious user of alcohol and substances and got into a whole lot of trouble while in college and beyond for partying. I'm in a 12-step program and hope never to see the inside of a jail cell or rehab again. So yeah, at 25 I'm a big old washed up loser. Say what you will.

Meh, if you're shoving it all down your throat then the drugs and alcohol (Well, they're all drugs) control you.... if you avoid them all and try your best to not touch them ever again, then the drugs are still controlling your life.

Life is about balance, knowing yourself and know what is best for you is the only way to know control. Everybody's allowed to have fun once in a while, so long as it is not at other's expenses. But you gotta make sure that you're doing things not because of what others want you to do, but because of what you want for yourself.

Take care of yourself first, then you're able to take care of others.

As it goes for myself.... sure I had my wilder years in my youth (being 28 now :p ) and I drank a lot.... enough to give me ulcers. I still will drink once.... in a while.... perhaps once every two months, lol.....

hell, I did Acid, E, Shrooms, Hash, Oil, Salvia, weed, etc. etc.... of course none of the hard stuff, I'm not stooo'pid ;-)

Now all I do is smoke cigs and green.... sometimes I'll have some coffee. I perhaps went a little overboard with some things in the past, but I've taken lessons from those days, and so long as your lessons you are living by now, match what feels right for you, then there's not much more one can do..... enjoy.

But give up weed? 8O

And this is just the prespective of an American living in and travelling through some of our poorest states:

America meets all the criteria of a third world country in some areas and we're the only ones who refuse to acknowledge it.

*points finger* SEE EVERYBODY!! I TOLD YOU SO!!

*Grumbles* nobody ever listens to me :angry3:

I live in one of the most economically depressed states (Louisiana) and rode out a hurricane Gustav and Ike. No power, sewage in the water, tornado warnings, no food to be had, mandatory curfews and looting. The works.

Just on that alone, I'd be moving my ass too.

Don't get me started on healthcare. I worked in the private sector before my drinking got really bad and they s***canned me and so I know exactly what Michael Moore is talking about in the documentary Sicko. I'm 5 1/2 months pregnant and have been denied medical care. No joke. I'm supposed to show up to the emergency room (12 hour wait last week) for my OB visits. It's part of the reason I have to go back to Cali, besides very badly wanting to get the F out of here.

Yeah I seen Sicko...... one thing about that movie however, is he exaggerated the greatness of our health care.... sure you can walk in, get treated and walk back out without worrying about paying much, if anything (Perscriptions still cost currently, as do ambulance runs last I checked)

But depending on where you go to get treated, you could be sitting around for a few hours waiting to be seen.

Now if it is an emergency, then you go right on in and get treated, that's not a worry. If you're pregnant, then don't worry, all the difficulties are covered and nobody's gonna pass you a big bill for something.

Now if you're like my girlfriend who's not a citizen yet, you will have to pay. Since she's not able to get a health card and not a citizen, she has to pay for any medical expenses...... which sucks at the moment, but wouldn't be any different if I moved to Australia.... I'd have to pay.

But since you're a child of a Canadian Citizen, besides a bit of paper work, you could probably move to Canada anytime you want.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
AWESOME! I'll fit right in.

I, however, don't share Terrence and Philip's love of Kraft products. My British grandfather (who has dual Canadian citizenship) worked for Kraft for something like 35 years and emigrated to the US because of his job with them. (hence, Daddo came and me being born here). We had lots of Kraft growing up. That s**t sucks.

Oh, I'm not a big fan either.... the only large fan base for Mac & Cheese is with the kids who's parents want something cheap and quick to feed them.

That and college students..... in fact, that's how I grossed myself out on them.... eating them just about everyday in college.... blech.

I speak fluent Spanish, but I doubt that will be in great demand up there. But in Cali, you make on average $3-5 more an hour and sometimes up to $18K more a year. We'll see what kind of use Canada has for me. I eventually want to get a law degree, but not use it in a for-profit venture. I'd either work as a public defender or private criminal practice giving reduced-cost or free legal representation for those with drug/alcohol related charges.

Well sounds like you're going to head into some fields where there is a demand last I checked.

I just draw perddy pictures.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Thank you thank you thank you, Earth as one. This info will keep me busy all day, besides packing stuff up. It's been enormously helpful.

Wow, seems like Canadians don't share the same sentiments as Americans do about immigrants. We like to shoot and beat those who have the audacity to want to be here before we deport them (please note sarcastic tone). I'm excited already about coming.

Well I never got the attitude myself..... Everybody besides Native Americans are immigrants.... they have no right or say in who should be allowed to enter the country or what jobs they can get.

Hell there's plenty here who have no problem with Iraqi war dodgers from the US living here to avoid fighting in what they don't believe. Granted there are a good portion who don't like them being here, out of military principle, but for me, so long as anybody wants to live here to work, start a life, enjoy their life and not cause harm to others around them, then come on over.

CaliNic

Sep 29, 2008
Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
I'm definitely coming to Canada to work. I don't want to mooch off the gov't here any more than I want to there. But it looks like it takes 11 mos. to get the citizen card so it'll be a bit before I really have to worry about what the hell people wear in sub-zero temperatures and which province to live in etc. I'm just ecstatic to get the ball rolling and it seems like Canadians don't hate Americans all that much. As evidenced on this board.

Muchas gracias para toda la ayuda,

Nicholle

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I'm definitely coming to Canada to work. I don't want to mooch off the gov't here any more than I want to there. But it looks like it takes 11 mos. to get the citizen card so it'll be a bit before I really have to worry about what the hell people wear in sub-zero temperatures and which province to live in etc. I'm just ecstatic to get the ball rolling and it seems like Canadians don't hate Americans all that much. As evidenced on this board.

Muchas gracias para toda la ayuda,

Nicholle

Oh don't get me wrong.... I hate the US.... I can't fk'n stand the place, the president, or many of the people who allow him to continue on his monkey way, all the while ignoring all the real issues and thinking everything is just super, so long as everybody "stays the course."

But there are diamonds within the rough. ;-) Not because you simply want to move and work here, but because you expressed a mentality that seems to understand that there are things really wrong.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
You do know that your noningestion of cannibis will have to be reviewed. We Canadians are the worlds #1 pot smokers on this planet, well all planets actually. We will tolerate your sobriety, politely, but it's not the sort of thing we encourage.:lol:

CaliNic

Sep 29, 2008
Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
Funny, dark one!

You know how there's the type of girl that gets drunk off two drinks and then sleeps with someone she doesn't know or even moderately like? Or the girl that maybe has 8 too many every couple months and starts puking on people and then crying... and her friends/boyfriend hate to bring her out in public? Or my favorite, the one who has precisely three cocktails and turns into the c**t from hell telling everyone exactly what she thinks of them? Well, that's what we usually think of when we think 'girls with drinking problems.'

None of those girls usually wake up out of a blackout in jail in another state with assault and battery charges on a police officer. That's the kind of drunk I am. I have tried every conceivable method of cannabis injestion that doesn't involve me winding up drunk. I've had to give it up. I am not now, nor will I ever be the girl who gets giggly or stupid, funny, or amorous when drunk. I get violent, and mean. I know, it sucks.

But not to fear, Dave B. started the Canadian branch of AA in 1944 and it's alive and well. I promise to stay only with the canucks who like the sober me. <Insert smiley here>

P.S. I'm not one of those harpy ex-drunks who wants all drugs and alcohol to be banned. To each his own, I hate to argue against my ex-favoritest-thing-to-do-in-the-world. AA is for people who want it, not need it.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Funny, dark one!

You know how there's the type of girl that gets drunk off two drinks and then sleeps with someone she doesn't know or even moderately like? Or the girl that maybe has 8 too many every couple months and starts puking on people and then crying... and her friends/boyfriend hate to bring her out in public? Or my favorite, the one who has precisely three cocktails and turns into the c**t from hell telling everyone exactly what she thinks of them? Well, that's what we usually think of when we think 'girls with drinking problems.'

None of those girls usually wake up out of a blackout in jail in another state with assault and battery charges on a police officer. That's the kind of drunk I am. I have tried every conceivable method of cannabis injestion that doesn't involve me winding up drunk. I've had to give it up. I am not now, nor will I ever be the girl who gets giggly or stupid, funny, or amorous when drunk. I get violent, and mean. I know, it sucks.

But not to fear, Dave B. started the Canadian branch of AA in 1944 and it's alive and well. I promise to stay only with the canucks who like the sober me. <Insert smiley here>

P.S. I'm not one of those harpy ex-drunks who wants all drugs and alcohol to be banned. To each his own, I hate to argue against my ex-favoritest-thing-to-do-in-the-world. AA is for people who want it, not need it.

Agreed then, you may pass in peace, but you have to kiss the National Animal who we love and adore above all else.:smile: