Does "quebec resident" have any special meaning?

mr.flibble

Dec 16, 2006
I want to get my Quebec licence since it'd allow me to drive and provide a form of ID. I know I can just use an international drivers permit, but using the drivers licence as ID sounds handy.

According to http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/driver_licence/exchange/conditions.html#condition , I can transfer my Australian licence so long as I take a test; the only thing I'm not sure is it requires being a "Quebec resident". What I would like to know, is if that has any special meaning for the purposes of driving; do I just have to be living in Quebec?

For instance, according to http://www.mcgill.ca/student-records/documents/por/ , (one of the ways) to qualify for a Quebec resident, requires proof of living in Quebec for a year. But I'm not clear whether that applies to getting a drivers licence, or whether that's for governement assistance and study fees and whatnot. It links to http://www.mels.gouv.qc.ca/ens-sup/ens-univ/2005-06-22_Guide_SRQ_universite.pdf
and on page 8 it lists the various conditions for residency status. Most of the conditions seem to be about being born there, or to parents that were Quebec residents etc which isn't applicable to me, however, the 7th condition is --

il réside au Québec depuis au moins 3 mois sans avoir résidé dans une autre
province durant plus de 3 mois;

My French isn't perfect, but that seems to be saying (correct me if I'm wrong) that if I've lived in Quebec for the last three months without having lived in another province for more than three months(durant ... not clear what it means).
Now that seems like the quickest way, but I'm wondering whether the fact that I lived for 3 years in Winnipeg as a kid ... 20 years ago or so... would invalidate me from going that route.

Or should I just land in another province / territory, get a licence there, and then go to Montreal?

Thanks

Mr.Roboto

Ballroom dancing champion
Nov 24, 2006
Quebec City
Quebec Resident just means that you are a resident of Quebec. It's not like say a nationality. So, it probably means that you will have to show a proof of living in Quebec, like a appartment contract or something similar. Thats what I think it means, that you have to residein Québec to have a Quebec License...like living in Ontario to have a Ontario license. I'll have to get back to you for more info.

One of my girlfriend's friend is from Guadeloupe, thus she is a french citizen, and she just got a car...so probably the license to go with it lol. And another girl also had a license to drive and she was just studying here. To come back to the first one, she works at Baie Comeau but she dosen't have a canadian citizenship. But probably just the fact that you live in Quebec is enough. Should'nt be to much trouble to get one.

But i'll ask a couple of questions and give you more if I can.

Mr.Roboto

Ballroom dancing champion
Nov 24, 2006
Quebec City
il réside au Québec depuis au moins 3 mois sans avoir résidé dans une autre
province durant plus de 3 mois;

My French isn't perfect, but that seems to be saying (correct me if I'm wrong) that if I've lived in Quebec for the last three months without having lived in another province for more than three months(durant ... not clear what it means).
Now that seems like the quickest way, but I'm wondering whether the fact that I lived for 3 years in Winnipeg as a kid ... 20 years ago or so... would invalidate me from going that route.

Word per word, He resides in Quebec for at least three months without having lived in another province for more than 3 months...so you got it good mr.flibble :read2:

«Durant» = «while», but said otherwise in the context of this phrase

Did you know that you also had the english pages for the SAAQ?
if no, heres the link:
http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/driver_licence/index.html

m_levesque

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
It is quite simple. It means, to quaify for a license in the province, that you must live in Quebec for at least three moths prior to applying.

mr.flibble

Dec 16, 2006
Thanks

Okay, sounds reasonable, I just wanted to make sure. Thanks Mr Roboto and m_levesque.
Thanks.

ammar1

Oct 23, 2010
hello,
actually am a canadian student outside canada, am looking forward to come back to canada after i finish my bachelor next june
so i would like to know if i lose my quebec residant or not and if so i would like also to know how can i get it back, and if applying to loans is related to my residant.
please confirm me back

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
A friend of mine, a British citizen and landed Canadian immigrant, held an international driver's license for over ten years. He owned the vehicles he drives and are registered in NS. His reasoning for not getting a NS license was what he could get away with. He was stopped so many times for doing 140kmh on the highway that the RCMP members knew him by name. The paperwork involved in issuing a ticket was not worth their effort, he was told to slow down and sent on his way each time. He now has a NS license, I wonder if he's slowed down yet.