How safe is Toronto? (Is Toronto Safe)

gc
It depends on what you mean by "safe", but here are some interesting statistics:

Statistics (external - login to view)

cadessi
hiAll, for a moment i just thought you were talking about Spain. Man, how can this crap be spreading that
far?. I love that evergreen of Canada seen on movies (Alberta, British Columbia, etc.); it's a shame that crime (ruled by stinky politics) doesn't play fair with that wonderful country.

I need to get the hell out of Spain (of Europe, indeed) ASAP, and i've been considering some places in Washington State like Sammamish, Bothell or Woodinville; and even some other places in Colorado: Boulder, Loveland or Fort Collins. As usual, i can't find any crime statitistics for Canada -by the way, you won't find anything usefull for Spain or the rest of Europe either as, you know, burocrats here are trying to hide our disgraces to the world.

Katt
Hello,

Someone said to avoid Saint James town. Is that where GeorgeBrown College is St.James campus(King street east?)

lone wolf
You were from Oakville? (three years ago) All you had to do was watch Channel 9....

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by KattView Post

Hello,

Someone said to avoid Saint James town. Is that where GeorgeBrown College is St.James campus(King street east?)

The St James campus is on King St. in downtown Toronto.

lone wolf
I had a warning on your link.

Liberalman
Toronto is the San Francisco of Canada and if you like that type of lifestyle then Toronto welcomes you with open arms

jaimergonzalezh
I am sure it beats the 5 largest Cities of any other Country in the Continent.

jaimergonzalezh
You want dangerous?
Try Southeast Mexico City.
Even the rats carry a knife.

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

Toronto is the San Francisco of Canada and if you like that type of lifestyle then Toronto welcomes you with open arms

that all depends where in Toronto you go...

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by RiykoView Post

My parents are refusing to let me go to Toronto because they don't feel it's a "safe" place to go and they say it's a foreign country blah blah blah. I'm going to be 20 soon so I don't think that's a problem.

So how safe of a place is Toronto actually? is it safe enough for a 19 year old girl or is it not that safe, but it's safer to go with someone?

I'd look at what the people who deal with the safety issue in Toronto for facts. Something like these people:

Toronto Police Service :: To Serve and Protect (external - login to view)

In 2008 people seemed to think it was a pretty safe cit:

Crime down in Toronto - thestar.com

I can't see any point in comparing it to other cities, though, because it really doesn't make any difference what the safety of another city is if you are in Toronto.

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaGView Post

I'd look at what the people who deal with the safety issue in Toronto for facts. Something like these people:

Toronto Police Service :: To Serve and Protect (external - login to view)

In 2008 people seemed to think it was a pretty safe cit:

Crime down in Toronto - thestar.com

I can't see any point in comparing it to other cities, though, because it really doesn't make any difference what the safety of another city is if you are in Toronto.

Toronto is safe. You just need to know the areas to avoid. I have lived in Toronto safely for over 30 years

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by RisusView Post

Toronto is safe. You just need to know the areas to avoid.

I think I just said that; and even added links to the evidence.

Spade
If you are twenty, you are an adult.

"When I was young and twenty,
I heard a wise man say,
'To save pounds and crowns and guineas,
From Toronto stay away!'"
A E Housman

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

Totonto is full of eastern Canadians. Better to pack heat when there.

Where is that place you speak of??? I've never even heard of Totonto. Is that a place where the Lone Ranger goes with Tonto and why he "packs heat"?

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaGView Post

I think I just said that; and even added links to the evidence.

Since he lives there - he should have a better idea of how things are over and above your links.

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by VanIsleView Post

Since he lives there - he should have a better idea of how things are over and above your links.

Since he probably has a limited experience with Toronto he cannot say what it is like in every neighborhood, he likely cannot give a general description of safety in Toronto, but only descriptions of a few specific areas. Do you know what every area of the Island is like?

Besides, one of the links I gave was from the Toronto City Police and I would imagine they live in Toronto, too.
Last edited by AnnaG; Mar 22nd, 2010 at 06:58 PM..

SirJosephPorter
Quote: Originally Posted by LittleRunningGagView Post

Well now, I wouldn't go that far. Weyburn, SK still qualifies as a city (I think) and the one murder they've had in the last five years was the talk of the town for months.

You are not comparing like with like. Weyburn is a small place, I had never heard of it before this. I looked it up, its population is 9433. It is hardly fair to compare it with a mega city like Toronto.

However, Toronto is much safer than big cities in the west, like Winnipeg, Calgary, Saskatoon or Vancouver.

Kreskin
From what I saw recently, it's much safer in downtown Toronto than downtown Vancouver. Drugs aren't nearly the problem as it is on the west coast.

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

From what I saw recently, it's much safer in downtown Toronto than downtown Vancouver. Drugs aren't nearly the problem as it is on the west coast.

Better climate (warmer winters and BC's law system is too easy going).

lone wolf
Too bad Riyko hadn't come back to tell us what she thought of Toronto....

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Too bad Riyko hadn't come back to tell us what she thought of Toronto....

Maybe got shot in Bangcouver?

no new posts