Another Graduate on his way over lookin for advice

Denis

Feb 16, 2006
Dublin
Hey,
I'm a wee 22yr Irish fella that has had it in his head to land in Canada since his first year of college. And now almost four years of a BSc in Computer Application in Dublin City Uni behind me I have a 12 month student visa! I have several guiding factors for my trip the two main ones are to continue to play rugby and the second is to finally live beside the piste for a while!

I'm finishing my degree in June of this year and must head to Canada to start the visa before the end of 2006. I have plans to head to Fiji on a scuba expedition during the summer but am not sure if I should head to Canada instead of leaving it till November, which was my original plan.

I have been doing a bit of surfing and found very little info on jobs etc. can anyone point me in the right direction? I did manage to find a junior web development position in Lake Louise opening but am sure by the time I arrive it'll be filled.

Can anyone tell me if the fact that I'm on a 12 month student visa will go against me when looking for graduate placements? Most of my friends and stuff I have read about so far relates to summer jobs/bar work etc.

I know there’s allot of rugby played in Toronto but what about the skiing/piste areas?

Are there many graduate opportunities in the ski resorts? I have both IT qualifications/experience and management experience (I have managed a student complex of 70 beds for 3 years).

Looking back through the post I see allot of questions. I'd appreciate any help with any of them! And/or a point to where I can get some more info myself.

Regards,
Denis

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Well, a very warm welcome to you, Denis. There is nothing as irresistable as a wee Irishman, and I'd like to see a lot more of them around here.

Whereas I can't give you much help with your questions, I'm sure many people here will be able to help you. Stick around, post some more . . . post a joke in the joke forum, you Irish have a wicked sense of humour.

<edited to apply a spot o' Guinness to a misspelled word>

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Denis, good luck to you. Check out Blue Mountain resort in Collingwood ON, one of the biggest in southern Ontario. Or the big hills in Banff, Alberta. I gotta think a lot of development has been happening at the hills, so there may be opportunity for whatever your skills are. Workopolis might be a good site to check, or Monster.ca.

lisa_19

Mar 18, 2006
Canada
Ottawa can be the place for you...

Wouldn't know about Rugby but you might be lucky to find some teams around here, you have Mont Trembland, not far from Ottawa, well it can be, about 2 hours drive, Sky Resort, best known place to be, very popular, and if your looking for find a job you can always find a Temporary Contract with the Government, good benifits to join the Government, heres the site

http://www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/centres/empl_e.htm

not to far, there is a link that can direct you to post graduate recruitment program, hope this helps

Lisa