Health Insurance in Canada

bellbottom666

Feb 9, 2006
New Zealand
Hello all,

I've been browsing the internet for information on moving to Canada. Am currently sitting in sunny New Zealand contemplating (and looking forward to) a cold cold winter in Toronto at the end of the year.

I'm planning to move to Toronto mid-year using the Working Holidays Visa. I've already trawled through pages and pages of tax information, working visa regulations and apartment rentals sites. What I can't seem to find info on is health insurance. I know that I purchased compulsory health insurance for 4months when I worked in the U.S. but am unsure how things work in Canada? If I have a working visa, will I be able to use the health system like other Canadians? or will I need to fork out for my own private health care insurance?

Would appreciate it if anyone can let me know.

Thanks.

farasha1118

Jan 18, 2006
sorry to tell u. u need to buy your own insurance they have companies i beleive blue cross is one that u could look into...good luck

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
In order to qualify for medicare, you have to be a resident in the province for a certain period, I believe it is 3 or 6 months. You will need coverage until then, and you will also need to prove to the province when you established a residence here.

DaManIam

Sep 8, 2006
Montreal