Immigrate to Canada

Mikedavidson

Nov 13, 2005
I currently live in England, but would like to immigrate to
Canada. Vancouver sounds a really great place for families.
I've also heard good things about Calgary.

Anyone got any thoughts on the best place to live in Canada?
What's the job situation like at the moment? What about house
prices?

Thanks in advance.

:lol:

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
If you choose Canada, I'd advise settling in Calgary Alberta.

The advantages are many ... low taxes, many jobs, good social climate, calgary stampede. Good place to raise a family.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
You should likely steer clear of Calgary...the place is crawling with rednecks and their provincial leader is a drunken hillbilly who signed one of the worst oil deals on the planet. There are also increasing connections between the oil and mining industry in Alberta and health problems.

BC is nice. So are Saskatchewan and Manitoba. So is most of Ontario, although I'd avoid the part that's full of smokestacks if you can.

You don't say what line of work you're in, Mikedavidson, but we need everything from doctors to tradespeople all over this country.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Calgary isn't that bad if you're going to Alberta. Edmonton is less personable I find. If you really want the frontier atmosphere, go to Ft. Mcmurray, or farther north to Yellowknife.

But if you want to stay in a similar climate with the UK, I would suggest the BC coast or the Maritimes. In the end it really depends whether you're looking for a rural experience or an urban one when living here. Then choose your terrain, we have pretty much everything here except the tropics.

Frappuccino Dibs

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2005
Some of you may or may not know that Mrs Dibs and myself put together our application from Immagration to Canada and sent it in arounf February this year.

We were hoping to possibly move to Vancouver Island (which I would personally say is a fantastic place).

The immagration application was a little bit of a headache to put together but not to bad. They do need to know a lot about your history and if your as bad at remembering dates as I am, that's a real problem.

Anyway the application is in and we received no receipt for it (as is expected). The only eveidince to say it was received by the powers that be was that somebody signed for it when the courier delivered.

As I said, that was in February. There is no contact with the immagration people - once it's in, all you can do is wait.

We received an email from a Canadian solicitor dude who was very helpfull with putting together the application. They say it could take about another 30 months to come to a decision on it.

What bollox is that? 30 months! We were hoping to have moved before our son starts school, but that looks unlikely and the chances of us moving at all are becoming less and less.

Canada's great - I would move there in a heart beat, but the Beuracracy and bullshit makes it damn near impossible unless you get a job sponsor or you've got a LOT of money to buy your way into the country.

bhoour

Electoral Member
May 10, 2005
earth
It really depends on what you are looking for. Canada offers it all ......big cities ,suburbs, rural communities, island living, wilderness living, as well as snow,sleet ,and/or rain and even sun in some parts at certain times of year .......... :roll:
Do a bit of research on all the provinces,and their climates, economics, job availability, housing.......etc......I'm sure you'll find something that strikes your fancy..............
keep us posted on your transplant.........

:canada:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Ontario will give you the most opportunity. All the good people in Canada live there.

Summer

Electoral Member
Nov 13, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio, USA (for now...)
Dibs, if you applied in February, you should have had some sort of acknowledgment by now. If I were you I'd check with someone on it. The processing may take some time, but you should at least have gotten a case number after this many months. Where did you apply through?

(Yes, I'm also planning a move to Canada... specifically the Toronto area.)

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
nada :? The dibs have already been to this here island to visit peapod and the rest of dat wotthehell gang, they already knows dis island is where its at... 8)

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: Immigrate to Canada

zenfisher said:
Jay said:
Ontario will give you the most opportunity. All the good people in Canada live there.

Hmmm...Isn't Parliment in Ontario ? :D :p :twisted:

yes........and that rules out the "good people" notion immediately..

;-)

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Immigrate to Canada

zenfisher said:
Jay said:

Hmmm...Isn't Parliment in Ontario ? :D :p :twisted:

True, but no one lives in there.

Can you imagine how bad things would be if Parliment wasn't in Ontario? :)

Summer

Electoral Member
Nov 13, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio, USA (for now...)
I'll trade you all the goons in Washington, D.C. :pukeleft: for your Parliament.

Ontario is full of nice people, from what I can tell. I have a few friends there, and everyone I've met when I visit seems to be very friendly. :thumbright:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I'm sorry, but as a supporter of fair trade I cannot accept your offer. You have far more goons in Washington than we have in Canada which would lead to a flooding of our market and a devaluation of goons in developing nations that are also part of the goon market. :)