Moving to Canada: Help!

Iron Maiden

Jul 27, 2005
SA
Hey there.

Im 16 year old dude who is moving to Canada from South Africa with entire family.

I just need to know a few things like:

Education system for high schools?
im gonna be in my final year next year..do i need to repeat grade 11 because our education system is different?
School dress code?...casual?
stuff like that plz...will be apppreciated if u can help.

Garth Brasseur

Jul 27, 2005
Yellowknife
The education system for high school varies depending on where you are moving. The public education system is controlled by provincial governments. If you could tell me where you are moving, it would make it easier to supply you with information.

I have had students from South Africa before and they did not have to repeat grades though in one case did have to take an extra Math class.

The school dress code is primarily casual. Where I teach, there is a dress code but it is hardly onerous and most students follow it without thinking.

Garth Brasseur

Jul 27, 2005
Yellowknife
I'm out West. But, schools in Canada offer Mathematics (you shouldn't have a problem in Ontario as they have only recently changed programs and is catching up to the rest of the country), Calculus, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Social Studies, English (Language Arts). I'm not sure about the others. French is not compulsory in the West in high school but I'm not sure about Ontario. Maybe, a teacher from Ontario could provide you with more precise advice.

When you arrive in Canada, go to the nearest high school and check it out, visiting with the Guidance Counsellor. Most schools have counsellors available before the School Year officially starts. If you are going to live in a larger centre, go to more than one high school and check out what each offers. Schools don't necessarily offer exactly the same program.

Shiva

Electoral Member
Sep 8, 2005
Toronto
Re: RE: Moving to Canada: Help!

Iron Maiden said:
Ontario is where we are gonna be moving.

What subjects do most schools offer and is french compulsory?

French is compulsory for grade nine in Ontario, and is part of a learning programme started in grade four. You can continue it optionally till your last year in high school.

You may have to take French since one language credit is considered compulsory for the attainment of your O.S.S.D. (Ontario Secondary School Diploma/high school diploma). Since you're coming from South Africa, maybe you've taken a language credit in Afrikaans or some other language? You might want to see if you can use that type of experience to cover the language requirement. It might be possible.

Note that I'm speaking here as someone who's gone through the system, not as a teacher, though. ;) As already mentioned, the easiest way to get this information is to contact your local school. They'll be happy to provide you the details.

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
Perhaps you might find this helpful, too.

A link to the Government of Ontario — Ministry of Education: English Language page.

Once you know the city (District) to which you are moving, check out the “Find a school or school board” link and you will be able to find a link to each School Board and School in Ontario, where perhaps you can obtain more precise information.

If you need a specific exchange of information, most school boards as well as schools have a website with an email address listed.

Good Luck & Welcome.

lisa_19

Mar 18, 2006
Canada
you see, if you do come in Ontario for good, it might be best to learn french while you are at it, because seeing that the Government is taking people that are bilingual, its always good to learn it now and not later, some places you would be lucky to find a job later on in life, as for school, its casual, lots of different styles, just dress the way you dress, just stay yourself, you are allowed to express yourself freely, don't worry about, we don't bite,