A few questions for the locals, from an Aussie chick

sair_86

Jun 14, 2005
Au
Hey All,
I'm moving to Canada at the end of the year for a 12month working holiday!!! I'll be working in Banff and a friend of mine will b in Kamloops British Collumbia. I'd appreciate it so much if someone could give me some info on train connections between these two Cities!!!!??!?!?!?! How long would the trip be? is there one single connecting train line? pls help me out here!! :)
Also any general info on ANYTHING CANADA, would b sooo fantastic!! oh, and our jobs will finish in April so if anyone would like to offer us work to start from April2006 onward go right ahead!!! :)
Ta muchly!!
Sara

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
sair_86 said:
Hey All,
I'm moving to Canada at the end of the year for a 12month working holiday!!! I'll be working in Banff and a friend of mine will b in Kamloops British Collumbia. I'd appreciate it so much if someone could give me some info on train connections between these two Cities!!!!??!?!?!?! How long would the trip be? is there one single connecting train line? pls help me out here!! :)
Also any general info on ANYTHING CANADA, would b sooo fantastic!! oh, and our jobs will finish in April so if anyone would like to offer us work to start from April2006 onward go right ahead!!! :)
Ta muchly!!
Sara

The national rail service is done by Via Rail of Canada

http://www.viarail.ca/en_index.html

Unfortunately, their service West in on one line. The line that goes through Kamloops (The Canadian) runs north through Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Edmonton, Jasper and then onto Kamloops and Vancouver. There is not passenger service between Banff and Kamloops also there is not rail service between Banff and Jasper.

The is a rail company Rocky Mountaineer

http://www.rockymountaineer.com/

that runs vacation trains from Calgary, Banff to Kamloops and onto Vancouver. However this is not like a passenger train, it is more like a vacation tour train and it isn't cheap.

The southern Via Rail route through Winnipeg, Regina, Calgary, Banff and Vancouver closed some years ago, perhaps now over 10 years ago.

sair_86

Jun 14, 2005
Au
oh shit! your kidding! damn that!! ehhhh...
ok what about bus services or something, anything like that u could suggest...i can't even hire a car, u gotta be 21 right???

thanx ne way dasfx

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Re: RE: A few questions for the locals, from an Aussie chick

sair_86 said:
oh shit! your kidding! damn that!! ehhhh...
ok what about bus services or something, anything like that u could suggest...i can't even hire a car, u gotta be 21 right???

thanx ne way dasfx

Greyhound Canada

http://www.greyhound.ca/en/

There are a few buses each day going either way. Shortest trip is about 7.5 hours, cost is about 150$CDN.

As for Car rentals, I believe 21 is the minumum with a credit card and then they charge you extra as well for being under 25 in some places.

sair_86

Jun 14, 2005
Au
THANK-U soo much Das for all your help!! I'm real surprised at how frequent and comprehensive the bus services seems over there!!!! Thinking thats prolly gonna be my best option, also seems slightly cheaper too :) I haven't been able to find info like this by serching the net on my own so i really apreciate your help! Lata

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
You don't have to be 21 to drive a car, you should be atleast 16.. but usually to rent a car, the only viable option is to be OVER 25. Some companies won't even rent to people under 25, but those that do will charge you a ridiculously high premium for insurance.

Your best bet is to use CoachCanada or Greyhound. There's also some carpool-for-40$ companies in Ontario and Quebec that I've heard of; maybe they are out in BC/Alberta too.

Good luck! Come back and enlighten us on your status and experiences :)

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
DON'T TAKE THE TRAIN, It's no longer than driving if you share the ride with someone. And anyways you'll spare yourself the discrimination of the conductors at VIA who assume that anyone that looks under 26 is nothing but trouble and not worth helping. The only good parts of the cross canada train trip is the maritimes and BC. Everything in between sucks monkeyballs, you're not allowed to do anything like visit domecarts or the resturant parts for anytime longer than 15 min. (maritimes and BC exempt of that choice though :wink: ) and delays are never explained, even when the train has stopped in the middle of nowhere for 12 hours.