Canadians Working in the US

thehappycow

Jun 13, 2005
Hi! I'm new here, and not sure if this is quite the right forum, but it's close. :)

I'm living in Alberta, and I am wondering about the possiblities of taking a working holiday one summer to New York City. I'm an actor, and would love to be taking some dance and acting classes there for a couple of months. It wouldn't be through a registered school, so a J1 or F1 Visa is out.

I also work for a restaurant chain that has a location in New York, and they would be willing to transfer me.

Could anyone let me know my options here? Is there a Visa that could work? I'm confused, and information on this is scarce!

Jupitor

the best choice is to rethink your strategy about moving to the USA. From exp I realized it is not the place that matters but the opportunity itself which one gets and utilizes. Forget about the American dream ... all one can dream of is here in Canada. A message to <Newbie> have you thought of moving to vancouver? I hear movie studios are booming. Anyways good luck with all your future plans in New York or elsewhere.

I myself was aiming for an internship as a G Designer in the US but I let go of this plan...

stratochief

Nominee Member
Jul 1, 2005
I completely disagree. Working in another country is a valuable experience whether it's the USA, in Europe or elsewhere. It provides great perspectivein life. No decision is irreversible so you can work 'wherever' and being a Canadian return to Canada 'whenever'. I've worked in Germany, France and two stints in the USA (Nevada and Wyoming).

You don't want to be old and about to kick the bucket and wonder about the 'what ifs' in life. Go for it. This is a big world and Canada is a small part of all there is to experience. In a couple decades folks may find it amusing that the older generation was confined to national borders...self-imposed limitation.

Musicman

Electoral Member
Aug 7, 2005
Re: RE: Canadians Working in the US

stratochief said:
I completely disagree. Working in another country is a valuable experience whether it's the USA, in Europe or elsewhere. It provides great perspectivein life. No decision is irreversible so you can work 'wherever' and being a Canadian return to Canada 'whenever'. I've worked in Germany, France and two stints in the USA (Nevada and Wyoming).

You don't want to be old and about to kick the bucket and wonder about the 'what ifs' in life. Go for it. This is a big world and Canada is a small part of all there is to experience. In a couple decades folks may find it amusing that the older generation was confined to national borders...self-imposed limitation.

I love this response. Information frees the mind, as I say as a signature, and experiences provide information. Great outlook, Stratochief. Can I adopt it? Or at least take it home with me for a while? :lol:

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: Canadians Working in the US

stratochief said:

agree, Experience, exposure and education are a "wealth" that money cannot ever buy. (and nor can it be taken away from you)

LIVE the moment.......wherever that moment is......and keep broadening one's horizens. The destination/goal is one thing.....but the "journey" is magnificent on its own.