A few questions about Canadian culture(?)

Agata

Dec 29, 2012
Hello, My name is Agata and I'm from Poland. Currently I'm working on a small term paper about multicultural Canada. I've read a few articles and some official stuff(like government websites or sth) about it and it made me think. Is this real side of Canada? Is multiculturalism such an important part of life? I'd like to ask how you feel about it;) Because to me it looks like Canada is only kind of packaging for a different nationalities that live in this area. Do you really feel that there's a mix of cultures that works and creates something special, some unique Canadian culture? Do you feel Canadian? What about Quebec? Do Quebecois sill want to gain autonomy? And one more thing: immigration. I've done some research about it and the procedures are quite strict - emigration to Canada is possible only if you have something to offer for the country. Is it too strict in your opinion or maybe suitable to reality and needs? I'm sorry if that sounds dumb, I've never been to Canada(though Vancouver is on my 'Places to Visit Before Death' list:) )so it's hard to imagine;) I decided to ask here because I want to hear what ordinary citizen has to say:) Thank you in advance for any opinions Greetings, Agata

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Good grief, I don't have the kind of time to answer this honestly, so here's the same bull crap line you'll get from the Kool Aid Drinkers <--Google Jonestown Massacre if your not familiar with the term Kool Aid Drinker.

MULTICULTURAL WORKS WONDERFULLY. WE ALL GET ALONG FAMOUSLY.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Hi Agata! Welcome to Canadian Content Forums!!!

...And one more thing: immigration. I've done some research about it and the procedures are quite strict - emigration to Canada is possible only if you have something to offer for the country. Is it too strict in your opinion or maybe suitable to reality and needs?...

It's less strict if you 'loose' you passport in transit to Canada & then claim refugee status.
I'm by no means advocating this, but just pointing it out.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Hello, My name is Agata and I'm from Poland. Currently I'm working on a small term paper about multicultural Canada. I've read a few articles and some official stuff(like government websites or sth) about it and it made me think. Is this real side of Canada? Is multiculturalism such an important part of life? I'd like to ask how you feel about it;) Because to me it looks like Canada is only kind of packaging for a different nationalities that live in this area. Do you really feel that there's a mix of cultures that works and creates something special, some unique Canadian culture? Do you feel Canadian? What about Quebec? Do Quebecois sill want to gain autonomy? And one more thing: immigration. I've done some research about it and the procedures are quite strict - emigration to Canada is possible only if you have something to offer for the country. Is it too strict in your opinion or maybe suitable to reality and needs? I'm sorry if that sounds dumb, I've never been to Canada(though Vancouver is on my 'Places to Visit Before Death' list:) )so it's hard to imagine;) I decided to ask here because I want to hear what ordinary citizen has to say:) Thank you in advance for any opinions Greetings, Agata

Hi Agata and welcome to CC.

Multiculturalism is just a part of who we are as Canadians - it does not define us. There are many cultural celebrations in Canada that all Canadians are free to and do, take part in.

There will probably always be a faction in Quebec that wants to separate but the latest statistics are not favorable to them. The younger generation has a more global view of their place in Canada. And my Canada includes Quebec.

As to our immigration policy - I honestly am not fully informed about it but do believe that coming to our country means that you should be ready to fully participate in our society meaning that having something to offer is important.

Vancouver is a wonderful city but our country has much more to offer than a single city.

I love my country - warts and all. Thanks for your interest and good luck with your paper. :canada:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Hi, Agata. Welcome to Canadian Content. :)
The way I see it is that Canada is a container for a variety of cultures (heterogeneous), rather than a monocultural country, where everyone starts out being homogeneous, or a "melting pot", where everyone becomes homogeneous. To me, people are just people and everyone has differences. It's usually politics or religion that cause people trouble because of these differences. I try to see past that and accept people as just being human beings. I think the differences make people interesting. So I just feel like me.
I think immigration policies are fair, but I don't think the CIC (Canada's immigration services) are very good.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This is a wonderful country where even those who don't get along are at least civil to each other.
I think we have a giant land mass that is more part of the cultural makeup of the nation. There
are five distinct regions. For example you mentioned Vancouver as a place that you would like
to visit. If you were travelling by car for example and you landed in Nova Scotia say Halifax, it
would take you the better part of a week to drive to Vancouver,
Within that context you soon begin to see that people view the fabric of the nation differently as
you progress across the country.
The Eastern Maritime have a long history and were part of the formation of Canada as we know
it. Quebec is very much a part of the Country and the majority of Queber's are Canadian in their
feelings.
Ontario still thinks its the center of the Universe or at least that is the opinion of western Canadians.
The Prairie Provinces and British Columbia have more in common and more of the natural resources

All of these things play a part in the cultural makeup of the Country. In many cases people have
accepted the cultures of other nations that are far more different than their own. For example many
people equate Calgary with a Red Neck attitude, but the truth is they are a city with a Muslim Mayor
and he is extremely popular.
I am really lucky I have neighbours who are Chinese, and they are involved in the Multicultural
Society. They have gatherings that share food and yes I live right next door.
We complain about each other at times but let anyone else say something about our neighbour and
Canadians rally. Not all perfect but I think its the best place on the planet to meet the world and its
varied cultures if you are so inclined. Welcome to the Canadian Content Forums by the way.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
8O we ARE the center of the universe... just kidding...:p

Welcome Agata...Canadian culture does vary greatly from region to region and that is part of the beauty of our country...:canada:

Other than that...pretty much what Grumpy said.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Hi Agata. You broach a number of topics but I'll add my opinion in on them, although some will be similar to earlier posters.
I've read a few articles and some official stuff(like government websites or sth) about it and it made me think. Is this real side of Canada? Is multiculturalism such an important part of life?
Yes and no. A lot depends on where you live and your demographic. Growing up in rural Alberta, multiculturalism was something that was always vague to those who I lived around, and it generated resentment because of the funds it required (or seemed to) from the government coffers. When you move into the larger centers, there is more diversity but in the West, there still seemed to be a sense that the government programs were largely unnecessary, as those who wanted to preserve aspects of their culture would find ways to do so without governmental assistance.
I'd like to ask how you feel about it;) Because to me it looks like Canada is only kind of packaging for a different nationalities that live in this area. Do you really feel that there's a mix of cultures that works and creates something special, some unique Canadian culture? Do you feel Canadian?
Well, there are definitely "cultural enclaves" or pockets of the country that are relatively homogeneous.If you look at the populace of Alberta, aside from the Native population, it is largely Northern European, with heavy German, Scandanavian and Slavic populations, as well as the ever present British influence. This is reflective of where the Canadian and British governments advertised to attract immigrants, back decades: they concentrated on Northern Europe because they felt immigrants from this region would be best able to meet the challenges of the climate. Now a culture has evolved, that uses a common language (English) and laws, and focuses on how one can meet the challenges of people everywhere (food, clothing, etc) in a common setting. As an Albertan, who has spent a lot of time in the US, I find the two countries almost indistinguishable until you get into the specifics of the political process.
What about Quebec? Do Quebecois sill want to gain autonomy?
I really can't comment much on Quebec. I have never been there (never had a reason or real desire to go there) and am not close to anyone from there, so my information comes mainly from the media or internet forums such as this one. And, to be honest, after all the media hype and attention,I really don't care much about the wants of the Quebecois.
And one more thing: immigration. I've done some research about it and the procedures are quite strict - emigration to Canada is possible only if you have something to offer for the country. Is it too strict in your opinion or maybe suitable to reality and needs? I'm sorry if that sounds dumb, I've never been to Canada(though Vancouver is on my 'Places to Visit Before Death' list:) )so it's hard to imagine;) I decided to ask here because I want to hear what ordinary citizen has to say:) Thank you in advance for any opinions Greetings, Agata
Immigration is always a touchy subject. There are always xenophobes who don't want any, but the reality is we are a nation built on the backs of various generations of immigrants, and we continue to need those new people coming into the country, to satisfy manpower and other needs. I think our overall policy needs fine tuning more than an actual overhaul, especially when dealing with refugees.

Agata

Dec 29, 2012
Thank you for your kind words:)

The way I see it is that Canada is a container for a variety of cultures (heterogeneous), rather than a monocultural country, where everyone starts out being homogeneous, or a "melting pot", where everyone becomes homogeneous. To me, people are just people and everyone has differences. It's usually politics or religion that cause people trouble because of these differences. I try to see past that and accept people as just being human beings. I think the differences make people interesting.
Great words!:thumbright:

For example many people equate Calgary with a Red Neck attitude, but the truth is they are a city with a Muslim Mayor and he is extremely popular.
Now that's interesting. And there are no problems with getting along with people?

When you move into the larger centers, there is more diversity but in the West, there still seemed to be a sense that the government programs were largely unnecessary, as those who wanted to preserve aspects of their culture would find ways to do so without governmental assistance.
Why is that? Is the West naturally more open for diversity?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Thank you for your kind words:)

Great words!:thumbright:

Now that's interesting. And there are no problems with getting along with people?

Why is that? Is the West naturally more open for diversity?

West is a funny definition. It depends on where you start from.
The majority in the west now have come from elsewhere. But it has traditionally been a place for the more hardy types where one had to do for themselves or do without until a few years ago when all the rich retirees infested the area.(west coast)
I grew up in a logging camp where people from probably a dozen nations are crammed together so they had to get along even though they were killing each other not many years before coming here.