Hi Canadians!

Brandeburg
#1
I came to this great forum to be more informed about Canada. I f***ing love Canada and I hope that I for year or two final visit to Canada for a few months. Later if I had the good fortune, to live and work in Canada, then I would be honored.
From an early age I was crazy for North America and always would love to live there, it's my dream, and I hope it will be for a couple of years and fulfill this dream. I weighed a lot which country is better for live, Canada or USA, and after much reading and information about these two countries I have decided that Canada is definitely the better option.
 
shadowshiv
#2
Welcome to CC, Brandeburg.
 
Brandeburg
#3
Hi!


I'm from the Croatia.
I'm planning to move to Canada, all of which I have heard about Canada only positive comments, and I read a lot about canada, and I try to learn better english, canadian culture,...
I have been thinking a lot whether it is better Canada or United States...
It seems to me that people in Canada have a much better mentality than Americans and also people say that Canadians are tolerant on ˝broken english˝ of foreigners and that are people more friendly that them.


I have a few questions:
1. Otherwise I am currently studying professional study of entrepreneurship in the second year of polytechnic (I do not know if there is such an institution in Canada or you may call it differently, in essence, it's kind of college)
Now I plan to go to Canada for a year or two, so I wondered if perhaps ˝I walk into an emptiness˝, because I'm not sure if will admit my acquired college education If I finish (graduate) on college in Croatia.
Then I do not know will I have to turn again to go to college (or university) in Canada???




2. The second question, many people who have worked in Canada tell me that the night clubs, pubs are open until only 2 to a maximum of 3 in the morning!
Why is this so, I think such a law is more like as if it is a conservative Arab country????
I never would have even thought of such a law exists in Canada, again I ask myself why is this so? (of course this does not diminish my desire to come to Canada)
...anyway I heard it once nightlife in Canada was very good, and that is why night clubs, pubs are open until the two hours is due to the police, a law that was supposedly because they had a party and nightlife, and of course with a lot of drugs and crime. But again I say it is so everywhere in the world, in my opinion because of that the law seems so strict.







I thank you in advance if someone can answer on my questions!
 
cranky
#4
Just wondering, what are the imigration policies like for croatians that want to live in Canada? Is it a difficult process? Are you free to visit on vacation?
 
cranky
#5
LOL I really don't know why we don't have bars that run all night. Most cities, I can speak specifically for Calgary, have 'illegal booze cans' ie after hours bars that operate without the apropriate licenses. They can be scummy and expensive, but often they are just expensive.
 
Brandeburg
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by crankyView Post

Just wondering, what are the imigration policies like for croatians that want to live in Canada? Is it a difficult process? Are you free to visit on vacation?

We are free to visit Canada on vacation, we donīt need Visa if we go on vacation.

But of course it is for immigration to Canada a difficult process as much as for everyone else who wants to come live in Canada.
 
Cliffy
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandeburgView Post

We are free to visit Canada on vacation, we donīt need Visa if we go on vacation.

It helps to have a certificate of insanity as most people are insane (including me) but most are not willing to admit it and prefer to remain in denial. Hope you can fit in.
 
cranky
#8
Brandeburg, if you are interested in immigrating. Please look into immigrating to Quebec. It might be easier to pass all the french language certifications for Quebec than it is to pass the English requirements. Atleast keep in mind that there are two languages here, and two ways for you to imigrate.
 
Brandeburg
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Hope you can fit in.


I hope so.

Quote: Originally Posted by crankyView Post

Brandeburg, if you are interested in immigrating. Please look into immigrating to Quebec. It might be easier to pass all the french language certifications for Quebec than it is to pass the English requirements. Atleast keep in mind that there are two languages here, and two ways for you to imigrate.


But unfortunately I do not even know the word French, so that I could not live there because it is still predominantly French there.
And for the English language I go on courses to be better mastered the language.
 
Brandeburg
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by crankyView Post

LOL I really don't know why we don't have bars that run all night. Most cities, I can speak specifically for Calgary, have 'illegal booze cans' ie after hours bars that operate without the apropriate licenses. They can be scummy and expensive, but often they are just expensive.

It is great.
Also I guess, that you replace all that with house parties.


But pls do you know answer on my first question?
 
lone wolf
#11
Welcome aboard!
 
Mowich
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandeburgView Post

It is great.
Also I guess, that you replace all that with house parties.


But pls do you know answer on my second question?

This link should help you, Brandeburg.

Welcome to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (external - login to view)

As for the hours our bars are open, one of the reasons you hear such great things about our country is probably because our bars are not open 24 hrs. You don't get to be a great country by spending all your time partying.

I will not get into them vs us on the issue of which country is better - the U.S. or Canada. Each country has its own merits and demerits. As the line in a song says, people are people wherever you go - the choice is up to you and research will help you make your decision.
 
Andem
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandeburgView Post

I hope so.

But unfortunately I do not even know the word French, so that I could not live there because it is still predominantly French there.
And for the English language I go on courses to be better mastered the language.

I assume you mean "as for the English language, I will be attending courses to improve my language skills".

Welcome aboard. I'm sure we can help out.

Quote:

people say that Canadians are tolerant on ˝broken english˝ of foreigners

Unfortunately, that might be Canada's undoing. The language problem here gets worse and worse as more foreigners (and more importantly and even worse, their families) are allowed to settle.

As a Crotian, I'm very sure your English will improve rapidly if you give it a try.
Last edited by Andem; Jul 13th, 2011 at 10:05 PM..
 
Mowich
#14
Just asking........but do we need two threads on this topic?
 
Andem
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by MowichView Post

Just asking........but do we need two threads on this topic?


Good point, threads merged.
 
Brandeburg
#16
Thanks for the welcome.


Quote: Originally Posted by MowichView Post

This link should help you, Brandeburg.

Welcome to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (external - login to view)

As for the hours our bars are open, one of the reasons you hear such great things about our country is probably because our bars are not open 24 hrs. You don't get to be a great country by spending all your time partying.

I will not get into them vs us on the issue of which country is better - the U.S. or Canada. Each country has its own merits and demerits. As the line in a song says, people are people wherever you go - the choice is up to you and research will help you make your decision.


I know for that website, but thanks.

You're right, partly because of the fact you are one of the most developed countries in the world.

Grrrr I'm so dumb, correction, do you know the answer to the first question, I wrote wrong, .
 
Ariadne
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandeburgView Post

You're right, partly because of the fact you are one of the most developed countries in the world.

Look at that! Your English has improved already.
 
Brandeburg
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

Look at that! Your English has improved already.

Haha, ofc I know english, but I still not know enough words, so when I don't know some word I use google translator.





Quote: Originally Posted by AndemView Post

I assume you mean "as for the English language, I will be attending courses to improve my language skills".

Welcome aboard. I'm sure we can help out.

Thanks, that is right, I go on courses because I want to improve my language skils.



Quote: Originally Posted by AndemView Post

Unfortunately, that might be Canada's undoing. The language problem here gets worse and worse as more foreigners (and more importantly and even worse, their families) are allowed to settle.

As a Crotian, I'm very sure your English will improve rapidly if you give it a try.

You're right.

Tnx, I hope also that my english will improve rapidly, because of that I go on courses, courses are expensive,but worth it.

Yes it is so sadly. Whole families come to Canada, and they do not know even ˝e˝ of English.

I think that language is learned best when you are in an environment where the language is official.
If I was lucky and I manage to immigrate to Canada, I'll come down here then in Canada alone, not my whole family. Only me.




Then ... pls does anyone know the answer to my first question,because it's important that I know that!!!
 
YukonJack
+2
#19  Top Rated Post
First of all, WELCOME!

But tell me what are you trying to accomplish by this:

"I f***ing love Canada"

in your first post. Trying to be a genuine Canadian?
 
karrie
#20
Welcome Brandeburg.
 
Ariadne
#21
There are Polytechnics and Technical Institutes across Canada. For example: University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT) | Oshawa, Ontario, Canada. (external - login to view) . Every province has one or two of these government funded institutions. The programs are 2 year study periods that teach trades and technical skills. Any diploma from a Polytechnic that you have will be somewhat recognized in Canada, however many new immigrants run into two problems when seeking work: language barrier, finding work in their field. I have met many professional engineers from Eastern Europe that came to Canada for work, but were unable to find work in their field. Some of them apply the Catholic Immigrant Society for assistance, where they are screened for job skills. Some are accepted into a job placement program where they receive some free upgrading and job training. It is not necessary to be Catholic to be accepted into the job placement programs: Catholic Immigration Centre of Ottawa (external - login to view) . It would be worthwhile exploring some job placement and new immigrant programs to see what is available to you given your job skills and training.

Keep in mind that although Canada's economy is not as weak as the US (at this time), projections are that with the economic crisis in the US, Canada's economy will suffer. When jobs dry up, some preference is given to Canadian citizens. I have met new immigrant dentists that deliver pizza and engineers that work at the gas station because they cannot find work in their field.
 
Brandeburg
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

There are Polytechnics and Technical Institutes across Canada. For example: University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT) | Oshawa, Ontario, Canada. . Every province has one or two of these government funded institutions. The programs are 2 year study periods that teach trades and technical skills. Any diploma from a Polytechnic that you have will be somewhat recognized in Canada, however many new immigrants run into two problems when seeking work: language barrier, finding work in their field. I have met many professional engineers from Eastern Europe that came to Canada for work, but were unable to find work in their field. Some of them apply the Catholic Immigrant Society for assistance, where they are screened for job skills. Some are accepted into a job placement program where they receive some free upgrading and job training. It is not necessary to be Catholic to be accepted into the job placement programs: Catholic Immigration Centre of Ottawa . It would be worthwhile exploring some job placement and new immigrant programs to see what is available to you given your job skills and training.
Keep in mind that although Canada's economy is not as weak as the US (at this time), projections are that with the economic crisis in the US, Canada's economy will suffer. When jobs dry up, some preference is given to...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
Tnx a lot for informations.

As you say Canada is in a better situation than USA, because Canada is not so much in the economic debt, while Americans are in debt to lots of countries.
I know that the crisis is everywhere, and there is less work everywhere., especially in my profession, which means today is everywhere very few jobs for those who will have the economic profession, like me.

Otherwise I am a certified technician for shipbuilding, but never I have not worked in the profession. So, in high school I educated as technicians for shipbuilding. It would be logical if I had I continued to educate for engineer of shipbuilding. But I was switched to something else entirely... in Polytechnic university at business department (professional study of entrepreneurship).
As you can see I'm going to college at completely different than what I was educated in high school.

I am aware of what I ended up in high school, I know that in Canada really does not jobs for my profession. I also know that when I finish professional study of entrepreneurship, so it will be difficult to find employment in the economic profession in Canada.

But it does not matter, if need be I will start the delivery of pizza in the beginning.
 
Mowich
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandeburgView Post

But it does not matter, if need be I will start the delivery of pizza in the beginning.

Now that is a great attitude, Brand.......... take any job you can get until you can get the job you want.
 
Durry
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandeburgView Post

Tnx a lot for informations.

As you say Canada is in a better situation than USA, because Canada is not so much in the economic debt, while Americans are in debt to lots of countries.
I know that the crisis is everywhere, and there is less work everywhere., especially in my profession, which means today is everywhere very few jobs for those who will have the economic profession, like me.

Otherwise I am a certified technician for shipbuilding, but never I have not worked in the profession. So, in high school I educated as technicians for shipbuilding. It would be logical if I had I continued to educate for engineer of shipbuilding. But I was switched to something else entirely... in Polytechnic university at business department (professional study of entrepreneurship).
As you can see I'm going to college at completely different than what I was educated in high school.

I am aware of what I ended up in high school, I know that in Canada really does not jobs for my profession. I also know that when I finish professional study of entrepreneurship, so it will be difficult to find employment in the economic profession in Canada.

But it does not matter, if need be I will start the delivery of pizza in the beginning.

Ummm, I'm not sure why you thunk Canada will let you immigrate here.
I mean, what do you have to offer Canada ??
As you say, you don't have much education, yet; you have no other working skills,,,, so ???

In Canada, we have something like 7% unemployment, why would Canada want more unskilled people to come into our country? Our government has it's hands full trying to find employment for our people.

Our universities are full, we don't even have enough room for our own citizens, why would we take in students from other countries unless it's for exchange purposes.

So, unless you have done your homework, looks to me like your going to have an up hill battle immigrating here.

Just a heads up for you!!
 
lone wolf
#25
We let you stay didn't we?
 
Ariadne
#26
I have met many professional engineers that came to Canada because the economy was booming, but before they found work, the economy took a dive. They had an expectation that Canada should provide for them because they came here with the understanding that there were jobs - they had uprooted their families. The economy is stable, a little weaker than 2 years ago, but could become worse with the current economic problems in the US.

Canada is not going to offer immigrants and their families papers unless they have skills that are needed and there are jobs in that field. A diploma in entrepreneurialship, how to start a business, would not go very far unless a new, innovative and needed business was going to be started. That may be the best ticket for a work permit, but, if that's the case, capital investment has to be in place.
 
Durry
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

We let you stay didn't we?

Yes, but the mistake Ontario made is they let you stay.
Well, Ontario makes a lot of mistakes so I guess it's not surprising!!
It's just too bad the West has to support such incompetence!!

Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

Canada is not going to offer immigrants and their families papers unless they have skills that are needed and there are jobs in that field. A diploma in entrepreneurialship, how to start a business, would not go very far unless a new, innovative and needed business was going to be started. That may be the best ticket for a work permit, but, if that's the case, capital investment has to be in place.

Your absolutely correct.

There are millions of people out there that would like to immigrate here, but you gotta have something to offer otherwise it's an up hill battle.
 
china
#28
DOBRE UTRO BRATKO ,

Try Australia ,Lived there for 6 month , healthy economy .Many Croation businesess there . They make good bucks. Unfortunately there's no hockey and / or maple syrup -obviously something to consider .
 
lone wolf
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

Yes, but the mistake Ontario made is they let you stay.
Well, Ontario makes a lot of mistakes so I guess it's not surprising!!
It's just too bad the West has to support such incompetence!!

Ontario's mistake is Ontario's mistake. I'm glad to see you recognize the West has its own great burden. I'm probably much cheaper to maintain - and a lot less mouthy about it.
 
Ariadne
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

There are millions of people out there that would like to immigrate here, but you gotta have something to offer otherwise it's an up hill battle.

An immigrant ship headed for Canada was just headed off this week in Indonesia. There are new procedures in place since the last ship of 500 sneaked into the Victoria port. Canada has forged ties with counrtries around the immigrant trouble areas. There are indeed millions that would like to benefit from all that Canada has to offer and, although Canada is a large country, growth has to be managed not invaded.
 

Similar Threads

18
What Canadians want
by Nuggler | Sep 22nd, 2008
0
Why Canadians ?
by akritas | Sep 20th, 2007
no new posts