Moving from the UK to Nova Scotia

kpnut

Jan 16, 2007
Wales UK
My family are thinking about moving from the UK to Canada and we are looking at Nova Scotia at the moment. We have 2 kids who are 6 and 9 and my husband is a truck driver. Just looking for any advice on jobs, Nova Scotia and how to get the ball rolling.
We've previously visited BC and fell in love with the province but know it is quite difficult to get in there.
Canada appeals to us as it seems very much family orientated and we feel that we could have a better standard of living.
Thanks to any-one who responds : )

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
A lot of people who live in the maritimes work in western Canada ie Alberta, Sask etc
I don't think truck drivers are a scarce profession in Canada??

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
My family are thinking about moving from the UK to Canada and we are looking at Nova Scotia at the moment. We have 2 kids who are 6 and 9 and my husband is a truck driver. Just looking for any advice on jobs, Nova Scotia and how to get the ball rolling.
We've previously visited BC and fell in love with the province but know it is quite difficult to get in there.
Canada appeals to us as it seems very much family orientated and we feel that we could have a better standard of living.
Thanks to any-one who responds : )

I was born & raised in Nova Scotia and just moved to Australia back in January. There are plenty of jobs if you know where to look & how to look. I left because there isn't many opportunities there for the work I do (Graphic Design) Many of the jobs in Nova Scotia are in the industrial area..... and truck driving would be something I'd personally put into that category.

If you are looking for work in Nova Scotia, start in Halifax. But if you want an area that is a good community and area for raising your children, I'd suggest the Pictou County area, in particular New Glasgow or surrounding towns (Westville, Stellarton, Pictou, etc.) ~ That's where I grew up, and is the 2nd most populated area of NS, next to Halifax/Dartmouth.

There are plenty of businesses & companies in Nova Scotia that rely on Truck drivers & deliveries..... it is true that the amount of available jobs in Nova Scotia are not as many as other Provinces out west, but they do exist and the other benefit is that the living costs in Nova Scotia are generally lower then most other Provinces, such as Ontario, Alberta, BC, etc.

The climate of Nova Scotia is generally similar to say the northern areas of Scotland (thus why it was named Nova Scotia, AKA: New Scotland)

The roads are a little more simpler to figure out and get around in Nova Scotia, compared to more densly populated Provinces, which would make it easier to adjust to driving on the other side of the road. I find the driving here in Melbourne Aus. a bit more complicated, due to many round-a-bouts, odd intersection layouts, and constantly changing speed limits along the same road (40km, then a few metres down the road, it goes to 50km, then 60, then back down to 40, etc.) ~ That and they're pretty strict with their speeding, with speed cameras all over the place and fining you if you're 3km over the speed limit.

My grandfather & his family at the time first moved to Montreal, Canada.... then later on, he visited Nova Scotia, fell in love with Pictou County and lived there ever since, which is where I was born.

My mother & her side of the family are from the south shore of Nova Scotia, wish is more of a fishing community. The Fishing industry isn't as good as it used to be, but again, there are jobs all around NS for truck drivers.... you just need to know where to look and where you'd like to live.

You have to put a little more work into finding a job and all that compared to other provinces, but when it comes to the climate, environment, community and place to raise your children, if things worked out for me with my Graphic Design stuff, I'd still be there and prefer it over any other province.

Good luck.

kpnut

Jan 16, 2007
Wales UK
Thanks to everyone for their comments.
Other reasons for leaving the UK is that it is so over crowded and becoming a nanny state where any common sense has been thrown to the wind.
The only people that seem to benefit in the UK are those who are on state benefits.
We were going to move to Alberta a couple of years ago but needed to sell our house but unfortunately we put it on the market just as the recession hit so unfortunately things fell through.
Thanks once again.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Nova Scotia is beautiful. Except for the North Coast in Winter, which makes any winter in Britain seem like the Rivera.

Sadly, it is a very poor province. Most of their kids end up leaving the province to find work. There is little industry that is not hurting badly,.

This has been a major problem for well over 100 years. My grandfather and his brothers all left Nova Scotia shortly after the turn of the last century (the three of them all went west between 1902-1905). Their family had been there since before the American Revolution, but there simply was no viable employment anywhere in the province.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I would re-think Nova Scotia, I was born there and I have a lot of rural property there but live there
I don't think so. I think if you are looking for some opportunity go to Alberta, Saskatchewan or to BC
that is where the growth is at the moment. Even Manitoba is a better choice.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
NS is a hell hole of broken dreams and useless people, apparently.

I am given to understand that nobody there has a job or does anything.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Halifax just got two new residents this morning at 4AM. My kid and her boyfriend arrived safely and both start work Monday morning.

Good luck Squirt!

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
NS is a hell hole of broken dreams and useless people, apparently.

I am given to understand that nobody there has a job or does anything.

A perfect example as to why you should ask people who lived in Nova Scotia, rather than someone who doesn't know wtf they're talking about.

I could toss out all kinds of ignorant generalizations about Alberta, BC, etc. too, but I won't and I'd rather let those who live there speak for themselves.

Sure there's all kinds of jobs out west.... but then the living costs cancel out any benefit and you're then stuck in a densly populated area in which you were originally trying to escape from..... one of the reasons why I didn't bother moving out west in the first place.

Besides, how does one actually go about creating more jobs and more opportunities somewhere when you're constantly told not to go there, but rather, work somewhere else? Gee, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that nothing will ever improve if you continually avoid that place and tell people to never go there.

Useless people indeed..... you arsepuckers out west sure don't have a problem with people in Atlantic Canada flying out west to work the crap-jobs in the oil sands nobody else there wants to do.

Considering how many people from Nova Scotia, PEI, Newfoundland & NB take the time to leave their families, fly out west and work the crap jobs, then fly all the way back across the country to be with their families again for a couple of weeks before doing it all over again..... it sounds to me that they work a hell of a lot harder for what little they get then say.... You do.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Alberta is still the place to be jobwise.

Working in Alberta is not easy, the employers are very demanding and they expect performance from their employees. This often means working overtime and not always under the best conditions. Working in the oil patch is the most demanding.
If your anywhere near petroleum vapors, you'll have to have a clean shaven face so you can wear an air mask.

Many of the younger guys who start out in the oil patch get out after being in it for a short while. They can't handle the pace.

Alberta is not the place to start work if your looking for an easy job. Best to stay on the east coast if you want a softer life.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
And in regards to jobs in Nova Scotia.... certain areas of employment are certainly struggling, such as my area of Graphic Design, etc...... but everybody everywhere needs truck drivers to deliver shipments and I can't remember seeing any reports or studies on mass layoffs of truck drivers in NS.....

While most other provinces rely heavily on trains for shipments, most of the shipments within the Maritimes rely heavily on transport trucks. In Halifax, many container ships come in every day and load up shipments on trains, but much more is routed through trucks due to train tracks no longer passing through most communities...... even if they do, they still need trucks to transport the shipment to the address in question.

For the original poster, perhaps this site may help find some work before you arrive:
Canadian trucking companies, trucking related companies in Canada

Specifically:
Nova Scotia trucking companies/Nova Scotia trucking/Find trucking company Nova Scotia NS

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
And in regards to jobs in Nova Scotia.... certain areas of employment are certainly struggling, such as my area of Graphic Design, etc...... but everybody everywhere needs truck drivers to deliver shipments and I can't remember seeing any reports or studies on mass layoffs of truck drivers in NS.....

While most other provinces rely heavily on trains for shipments, most of the shipments within the Maritimes rely heavily on transport trucks. In Halifax, many container ships come in every day and load up shipments on trains, but much more is routed through trucks due to train tracks no longer passing through most communities...... even if they do, they still need trucks to transport the shipment to the address in question.

For the original poster, perhaps this site may help find some work before you arrive:
Canadian trucking companies, trucking related companies in Canada

Specifically:
Nova Scotia trucking companies/Nova Scotia trucking/Find trucking company Nova Scotia NS

I know that Armour is busy and growing, and there are a lot of guys doing longhaul runs of seafood to New England, as well as tires from the Michelin plants, and lots of other stuff.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
If your anywhere near petroleum vapors, you'll have to have a clean shaven face so you can wear an air mask.

I have a beard, and I routinely wear a full face shield respirator at work when working with some of our chemicals, oxonia, formalin, trizol, virkon...the rubber seal is under my jaw line, so long as that area is kept free of stubble, then I'm fine. I passed the fit test with a beard, our HSE officer said so long as I keep that area clean shaven, there's no issue.