British Columbian citizen, now living in Québec city! help?

Clark

Dec 30, 2010
Hi, my name is Clark im 24!

Nice to meet all of you! :), Québec city is a beautiful very very beautiful place to live, but there arent many english speaking people though hehehehe, I know I know I can handle myself in french, not as good I hoped but I can handle myself, directions to bathroom, merci et beaucoup hahahaha jkz.

we'll I would like to have some english speaking friends so I can feel a little less out of place hehehe

thanks! :p

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I lived in Montreal for 8 years, became 'officially bilingual', but honestly seldom had to use the language.. loved it all, the night life, institutions, joie de vivre.. the beautiful Quebec countryside.. I live in B.C now, which has its charms, but i'll never regret my time spent in Quebec.. but allow me a dig at your title.. i am a 'CITIZEN' of Canada.. a 'resident' of whatever province i happen to live in.....

Clark

Dec 30, 2010
hahahaha thanks coldstream! the citizen thing well I am a citizen of Canada, I just meant to say I was born and raised in BC that's all hehehehe dont get upset.

So Coldstream you lived 8 years in Montreal, that is good what brought you there and what brought you to BC now?

thanks for the welcome lone wolf.

Clark

Dec 30, 2010
Work brought me to Québec. I was supposed to be sent to Ottawa but I was needed here so, here I am.
What about you el barto? where are you? me im in Charlesbourg

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I was born and raised here in the eastern township 2 hours south of you .
It used to be a very anglo area. Sherbrooke area has a high concentration of english community.
Sparrow is about an hour away

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Je ne parle pas francais. Whoo Hoo. Mais je parle une peu al a meird. But I speaky enngy real good. j/k.
Welcome. We have people from all over the globe here.

Clark

Dec 30, 2010
Nice, well I'm in Québec city (charlesbourg) pretty much french 100% kind feels like a different country really, I've been here for 8 months now and its starting to catch up with me, we can only stick our heads into our jobs for so long until we realize that well we need a social life as well.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
est to soak up your surroundings while you can....... I lived a year and a half in T.O. 20 years ago and only last year did i go visit there , well outside of T.O. and just loved the country side . I was way too into my work at the time

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I lived in Montreal for 8 years, became 'officially bilingual', but honestly seldom had to use the language.. loved it all, the night life, institutions, joie de vivre.. the beautiful Quebec countryside.. I live in B.C now, which has its charms, but i'll never regret my time spent in Quebec.. but allow me a dig at your title.. i am a 'CITIZEN' of Canada.. a 'resident' of whatever province i happen to live in.....

There is a big difference in the 'mentality' of those living in Quebec City compared to those living in Montreal. You can't even compare the two...

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
There is a big difference in the 'mentality' of those living in Quebec City compared to those living in Montreal. You can't even compare the two...

I think that might be right. Montrealers, English and French, tend to think of themselves as that first, Quebecers second. It's got its own language 'ghettos', the west, English.. the east, French.. but.. there's a lot of overlap, especially amongst young people.

Most take pride in the bilingual and diverse nature of the city, rather than their own English or French roots. Its great arts traditions and many of its 'institutions' come not from the two founding cultures but from interlopers.. especially Jewish.. but Greek, Italian, Haitian.. you name it.

Quebec City i would think would be more 'vrai laine'.. culturally and politically. As i said, living in Montreal for 8 years, i was more or less steeped, on one side, in a very self protective old order British culture, that has long since disappeared elsewhere in Canada.. and this vibrant, mixed, free spirited, cosmopolitan, bilingual culture on the other side. It's quite unique.

Last edited:

Clark

Dec 30, 2010
I agree with you Risus, Montreal is more of a multi-cultural area, people are used to having all types of people from all over the world, Quebec city is a bit more conservative when it comes into adapting to the new multicultural world. But hey we all go through denial before acceptance right? so... I'm just desperate to find someone that speaks English so that I can feel a little less solo hahahaha.

i've been in Montreal as well for 1 year.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Quebec city they seem more open and not afraid to look at you, Montrealers tend to be in thier own world .
Been to the Montreal Jazz festival many years back and those that were there that seem to have some life in them didn't come from Montreal .....I asked them where they came from, the lively ones .
I always love the feel of Quebec city....Montreal , wishe we could just float that island down the St Lawrence

Clark

Dec 30, 2010
hahahaha

I am a HUGE movies fan and no cinema in english that too hum...

but I have to say though! the POUTINE from ashton here OH MY GOD! this was absolutely the food of gods for sure! im going to get some right now. ps: but very high in calories hehehe so for every Regulière that you eat run for 30 minutes minimum hehehe

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Food of god????
unless you mean it will shorten your life and you get to see your maker , then ummm yeah

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Welcome to Quebec. I would like to help you but I really don't know that much about the English Community in Quebec City. I have visited the city often but never lived there. However I do believe you would have a better chance of meeting English speaking people in Quebec City than in Charlesboug. Depending on where you work, some must know where you could go to meet people.

Best of luck and I hope you find some friends.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Quebec city they seem more open and not afraid to look at you, Montrealers tend to be in thier own world .
Been to the Montreal Jazz festival many years back and those that were there that seem to have some life in them didn't come from Montreal .....I asked them where they came from, the lively ones .
I always love the feel of Quebec city....Montreal , wishe we could just float that island down the St Lawrence

I have lived in Montreal for several years, and have visited Quebec City a number of times. In Montreal, those who speak french will make a good attempt to speak English to an English speaking visitor. That does not happen in Quebec City. Too bad because Quebec City is a great place.

Last edited: