Emigrating to Montreal, best places to live?

levalencia

Nominee Member
Nov 24, 2008
Hello ALl

I am planning to migrate to montreal, in the next 2 years.

I would like to know which neighborhoods are good, whhich are bad, which are expensive which are not.

I would like to know montreal before arriving :)

Thank you!!!

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
You do want to live in a quiet area or would you prefer an area with lots of activity? In additon, do you prefer the English part of the city or the French part? The downtown area is generally very busy and is home to many students who study at McGill and Concordia. It is costly to live downtown, however if you're a student you can probably get some type of deal for on-campus accomodations. Another area that borders downtown is Westmount and it is the most expensive area in the city. It is a majority English speaking town.

If you prefer a quiet area, away from all the hustle and bussle, then there are many neighborhoods to choose from. Cote St.Luc is a nice quiet neighborhood in the west end of the city. The vast majority of the citizens there are English speaking and the area is more affordable than downtown. Another nice, quiet neighborhood is the borough of Saint Laurent. Area is also quite affordable.

Park Extension is probably the cheapest of the neighborhoods located in the center of the city. It is a multi ethinc area where lots of immigrants settle. However, the area is quite busy, particularly between Park Avenue (where the old train station is located) and TMR. TMR (Town of Mount Royal) borders with Park Extension, but is far more expensive to live there. It is a very quiet neighborhood. Nice thing is you got the subway close by.

Another area popular for immigrants is the CDN/NDG borough. CDN (Cote De Nieges) is a very busy neighborhood and proximitywise is located near the downtown area. The area is not as expensive as downtown.

If you want to live in an almost exclusively English speaking area of Montreal, then the West Island would be your best bet by far. It is very affordable and has numerous towns to choose from. I would suggest Pointe Claire, very nice town, particularly if you have a family. The drawback about the West Island though is public transit ... or lack of it. You would pretty much need a vehicle to get around.

If you want to live in a neighborhood with shopping facilities and public transit close by, then I would suggest, downtown (underground city and Saint Catherine Street), Cote De Nieges (Rockland Mall close by), Saint Laurent (Place Vertu Mall close by) or Park Extension (Rockland Mall close by). The West Island only has the Fairview Mall.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Why did you leave out Lachine, Beaurepaire, LaSalle, DDO, Roxsborough, Cartierville,Baie D'Urfe, etc., Guess you do not know them as you don't know half of downtown Montreal?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Hello ALl

I am planning to migrate to montreal, in the next 2 years.

I would like to know which neighborhoods are good, whhich are bad, which are expensive which are not.

I would like to know montreal before arriving :)

Thank you!!!

My brother has lived in Pierrefonds (west side, English speaking) for 30 years and likes it.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
You do want to live in a quiet area or would you prefer an area with lots of activity? In additon, do you prefer the English part of the city or the French part? The downtown area is generally very busy and is home to many students who study at McGill and Concordia. It is costly to live downtown, however if you're a student you can probably get some type of deal for on-campus accomodations. Another area that borders downtown is Westmount and it is the most expensive area in the city. It is a majority English speaking town.

If you prefer a quiet area, away from all the hustle and bussle, then there are many neighborhoods to choose from. Cote St.Luc is a nice quiet neighborhood in the west end of the city. The vast majority of the citizens there are English speaking and the area is more affordable than downtown. Another nice, quiet neighborhood is the borough of Saint Laurent. Area is also quite affordable.

Park Extension is probably the cheapest of the neighborhoods located in the center of the city. It is a multi ethinc area where lots of immigrants settle. However, the area is quite busy, particularly between Park Avenue (where the old train station is located) and TMR. TMR (Town of Mount Royal) borders with Park Extension, but is far more expensive to live there. It is a very quiet neighborhood. Nice thing is you got the subway close by.

Another area popular for immigrants is the CDN/NDG borough. CDN (Cote De Nieges) is a very busy neighborhood and proximitywise is located near the downtown area. The area is not as expensive as downtown.

If you want to live in an almost exclusively English speaking area of Montreal, then the West Island would be your best bet by far. It is very affordable and has numerous towns to choose from. I would suggest Pointe Claire, very nice town, particularly if you have a family. The drawback about the West Island though is public transit ... or lack of it. You would pretty much need a vehicle to get around.

If you want to live in a neighborhood with shopping facilities and public transit close by, then I would suggest, downtown (underground city and Saint Catherine Street), Cote De Nieges (Rockland Mall close by), Saint Laurent (Place Vertu Mall close by) or Park Extension (Rockland Mall close by). The West Island only has the Fairview Mall.
If you post a thread like this do not think someone (like me is not going to pick-up on it) is not going to question it.

levalencia

Nominee Member
Nov 24, 2008
Thanks to all,

I like very much night clubs, I like house music, techno.
We also like to go shopping.

Is it any neighborhood in montreal that I should go? I mean dangerous neighborhoods with high crime rates or something?

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Good Morning no color,

I wrote it to get your attention.

So what would you like to discuss?

My door is always open.

rgs
scratch

Last edited:

yuliya

Sep 28, 2009
hello, I am planning to migrate to Montreal form Vancouver, Canada. I wanted to know a good place to live if you have children. A place where a lot kids are so they can go outside and play with other kids.

jambo101

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2009
Montreal
This is the map I found of montreal but I dont see the neighborhoods you told me there.

Montreal | Discover | Neighbourhoods | Downtown | Old Montreal | Tourism Montreal

I saw some videos of club opera in montreal, where is it?

Not a good map you have there try this one
Université de Montréal There arent any dangerous areas per say in Montreal,just a few streets that should be avoided,Walkley and Plamondon come to mind,most areas are safe and the cities subway system connects most parts of the city,the southern part of the island is probably most affordable,St Henri,Pointe st Charles,Verdun and Lasalle,all are close to subway and busses and you can be downtown in minutes,if you are young single and are into the nightlife Outremont and the Plateau district seem to be hotspots for the younger crowd looking for accomodations. If you could give us some ore details on what you are looking for Montrealers could be a bit more precise in their information..

Last edited:

karimxx

Nov 2, 2010
morocco
hi everyone here i want to live in canada because i love this country but i do not know what i can i do for to move into there , any one have information please tell me

rookmeenee

Jun 18, 2012
Hi All,

I am planing to move to Montreal Quebec very soon and I wish if someone can help me to find where it is good to live.

I am bilingual speaking French & English - but I prefer English more than French and I wish my kids to go to English school rather than French, do we have school available where kids can learn English as well as French.

If someone is available can he/she give me some information please.

Thanks
Rook

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Hi All,

I am planing to move to Montreal Quebec very soon and I wish if someone can help me to find where it is good to live.

I am bilingual speaking French & English - but I prefer English more than French and I wish my kids to go to English school rather than French, do we have school available where kids can learn English as well as French.

If someone is available can he/she give me some information please.

Thanks
Rook
Yup. Move to an English speaking city. That means any city outside of Quebec. Immigrants in Quebec are automatically put in French schools.