Reminding immigrants of our great expectations

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Reminding immigrants of our great expectations
Sourse: Reminding immigrants of our great expectations
Requiring immigrants to accept Canadian values such as sexual equality, freedom of religion and tolerance of others' views is neither sinister nor threatening -- merely sensible.

The Leader-Post

Published: Friday, October 31, 2008

Quebec's plan to have immigrants sign a document agreeing to accept the province's social values has been -- predictably -- flayed by groups representing immigrants.

But this policy is far milder than its critics suggest and, truth be known, would probably eagerly be signed by most newcomers to Canada.

Moreover, it might well play a valuable role in squelching a racist backlash against immigrants.

There is general agreement that immigration is valuable -- consider how Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall was recently in Toronto, encouraging skilled immigrants to move to Saskatchewan and become part of our economy.

But there is also concern about a society's capacity to assimilate large numbers of immigrants if a few -- repeat few -- hang on to foreign value systems that clash with long-established Canadian mores around pluralism and tolerance.

In Quebec, this issue of "reasonable accommodation" boiled over in a series of heated -- sometimes hysterical -- hearings last winter.

This week, Quebec's government announced plans to ask immigrants to the province to sign a document indicating that they accept "the common values of Quebec society".

Some details are specific to Quebec, like the primacy of French. But others are broadly based and resonate in the rest of the country: immigrants are expected to acknowledge they live in a pluralistic and democratic society, and that men and women have equal rights. "Coming to Quebec is not a right, it is a privilege," the province's immigration minister said. "If you refuse to sign the declaration, you won't be able to come here."

Predictably, some people in the mini-industry that surrounds immigrants and multiculturalism have expressed shock. But why? Once immigrants have been accepted, there is no enforcement mechanism. Also, immigrants already receive instruction in life skills before getting their citizenship papers. Is Quebec's declaration form not merely an extension of the education and understanding that should precede landed-immigrant status?

If a few immigrants cannot accept concepts like respecting women, and letting others -- gays and rival ethnic groups, for example -- exist peacefully, then do we welcome them into Canada?

Incidentally, Quebec intends to balance this declaration with a second program: one that reminds Quebecers -- i.e, "old" immigrants -- about the value and rewards of welcoming new immigrants with warmth and tolerance. Perhaps both of these programs could be duplicated coast to coast.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
People come to Canada in general because the values of their home nation has failed them, so why on earth would they want to bring that here.

I say make them all sign it or go back, it's absolutely correct that admission is a privilege and not foregone conclusion .

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
People come to Canada in general because the values of their home nation has failed them, so why on earth would they want to bring that here.

I say make them all sign it or go back, it's absolutely correct that admission is a privilege and not foregone conclusion .
Yo, Boss.
I agree.
People will begin to talk.
oh well
scratch

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

Ohhhhhhhhhh, I dunno8O

I think most immigrants internalize our values really fast. Specially the part about "assistance" and education, and opportunity.

However, if you happen to see a woman buried up to her neck, surrounded by people with rocks, you might want to intervene......just a thought.;-) Obviously, something might have slipped through the Canadian values net.

Yah, makem sign the ****ing card or whatever.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Ohhhhhhhhhh, I dunno8O

I think most immigrants internalize our values really fast. Specially the part about "assistance" and education, and opportunity.

However, if you happen to see a woman buried up to her neck, surrounded by people with rocks, you might want to intervene......just a thought.;-) Obviously, something might have slipped through the Canadian values net.

Yah, makem sign the ****ing card or whatever.

Making them sign will weed out the dumb ones, the others will be persecuted by the law and sent back or locked up.

Nothing wrong with telling immigrants what we expect of them......so they aren't surprised when we kick their butt's out.:lol:

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto

They would sign anything so they wouldn't be sent back to the misery they came from, so basically it doesn't mean a thing.