Need French to apply for job in Quebec? Even for interviews?

canadian07

Jan 5, 2008
Hi, I'm from Montreal, Quebec. I have so-so okay French. I just blew a job interview the other day because of my not so good French. I couldn't think of the right word to say for certain answers to questions. It then got me thinking.

Can I sent in my CV/application form in English instead? There's English speakers in QC too, so maybe it could work out? Then maybe the interview can be dong in English also...?

Help?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Quebec is pretty pissy about their protection of their "Herritage" to almost a retarded point. They don't care if there are English speaking people living in Quebec, they should be all speaking French if they come to Quebec, or else it's an attack on their cultural history...... or some crap like that.

For the most part, just about anywhere you go inside Quebec to work, speaking french is pretty much manditory, unless you can snag a business owner who speaks primarily english who moved there.... he/she might give you a fighting chance, but chances are you're fighting an uphill battle there.

I think it has to do mostly with their "Language Laws" of Quebec that make it pretty difficult to land anything decently there if you can't speak french very well:

The Language Laws of Quebec
http://faculty.marianopolis.edu/c.belanger/QuebecHistory/readings/langlaws.htm

Snippet:

"...... The law proclaimed French the official language in Quebec, set up a Régie de la langue française to supervise the application of the bill, mandated that all public institutions had to address the public administration in French, made French the official language of contracts, forced corporations to give themselves a French name, and to advertise primarily in French in Quebec, as well as to seek a certificate of francization that could only be obtained when it was demonstrated that the business could function in French and address its employees in French."

"..... The bill, as it was passed in the summer of 1977, proclaimed French as the official language in Quebec for just about every facet of life in the province: government, judicial system, education, advertising, business, contracts, etc. For example, the bill required that all advertising on billboards be done in French only and that all commercial signs in business establishments be in French alone. All public administrations and businesses had to address their employees in French. All government agencies were directed to use the Official language in their dealings with corporations and other governments in Canada. Government Ministries and Agencies, as well as professional associations in Quebec, were to be known by their French name."

In other words, if you're not one of them, and you can't be easily assemilated into their way of life, then you're not going to get very far, sorry to say. (Which is why I'll never go there ~ Uptight Arseholes.)

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Quebec is pretty pissy about their protection of their "Herritage" to almost a retarded point. They don't care if there are English speaking people living in Quebec, they should be all speaking French if they come to Quebec, or else it's an attack on their cultural history...... or some crap like that.

For the most part, just about anywhere you go inside Quebec to work, speaking french is pretty much manditory, unless you can snag a business owner who speaks primarily english who moved there.... he/she might give you a fighting chance, but chances are you're fighting an uphill battle there.

I think it has to do mostly with their "Language Laws" of Quebec that make it pretty difficult to land anything decently there if you can't speak french very well:

The Language Laws of Quebec
http://faculty.marianopolis.edu/c.belanger/QuebecHistory/readings/langlaws.htm

Snippet:

"...... The law proclaimed French the official language in Quebec, set up a Régie de la langue française to supervise the application of the bill, mandated that all public institutions had to address the public administration in French, made French the official language of contracts, forced corporations to give themselves a French name, and to advertise primarily in French in Quebec, as well as to seek a certificate of francization that could only be obtained when it was demonstrated that the business could function in French and address its employees in French."

"..... The bill, as it was passed in the summer of 1977, proclaimed French as the official language in Quebec for just about every facet of life in the province: government, judicial system, education, advertising, business, contracts, etc. For example, the bill required that all advertising on billboards be done in French only and that all commercial signs in business establishments be in French alone. All public administrations and businesses had to address their employees in French. All government agencies were directed to use the Official language in their dealings with corporations and other governments in Canada. Government Ministries and Agencies, as well as professional associations in Quebec, were to be known by their French name."

In other words, if you're not one of them, and you can't be easily assemilated into their way of life, then you're not going to get very far, sorry to say. (Which is why I'll never go there ~ Uptight Arseholes.)
Yo Prax, Good Morning.
I was born on the West Coast and my Dad was transferred to Quebec. I was one at the time and spent thirty-nine years of my life there.
Assimilation never entered my mind because I and others that I knew were Quebecers in every aspect.
So, with due respect to your opinion, you really cannot knock it until you've tried it.
Regards,
scratch

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Hi, I'm from Montreal, Quebec. I have so-so okay French. I just blew a job interview the other day because of my not so good French. I couldn't think of the right word to say for certain answers to questions. It then got me thinking.

Can I sent in my CV/application form in English instead? There's English speakers in QC too, so maybe it could work out? Then maybe the interview can be dong in English also...?

Help?
New here, well welcome to Canadian Content, the best site on the web. Do not be a stranger and post as often as you please.
Now on to your question (first read my response to Praxius). In Quebec there are Anglophones and Francophones and they are all Quebecers and the vast majority are bilingual. In your situation I would discuss your predicament with a friend who is fully bilingual and have them review your CV.
Ask this individual to help you in writing your CV in French and then in English. Send the CVs together with the French version appearing first to the person in charge of hiring.
This is standard policy in Quebec and being bilingual is a big bonus.
I hope that I have helped you in some way.
I wish you the best of luck in your job seeking and do not get down on yourself.
Sincere regards,
scratch

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair

Help?

I was born in and lived pretty much my whole life in Quebec (Montreal) and my French is very limited. I cannot read nor write French nor can I engage in a detailed conversation with someone in French. Yet due to the huge English speaking population on the west part of the city, I've had no problem working and living my day to day life soley in English. I've always sent my resumes in English only and have worked now for several different companies in Montreal. All of my past interviews were in English. As long as you are not involved in public service in Montreal, you generally don't have to be bilingual.

Let us not forget that there are some 800,000 plus English speakers living in Quebec. The vast majority of those live in Montreal.

dirtylinder

get dirty
Apr 24, 2007
vancouver island
When I moved to Ottawa, I was very excited to learn French, but then I got to meet some of them and they cured me.
I worked in a restaurant in the market area and one Sunday Brunch I had my whole section reserved out for a bus tour that was late...when they arrived they aproached me and in perfect english asked for a french speaking server...I told them to go stand in the line-up to get back in and when we had a section available with a french speaking server we will be happy to accomodate....needless to say they stayed, and had the buffet...I only had to find out who wanted jus de orange etc. The tip was included, so, needless to say I had a blast pretending that I comprehended nothing etc. MY boss called me into his office, I thought, here we go...he thanked me!
This is just one instance of run ins with the french who somehow think they are above the rest of Canada, I never quite understood it!

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
When I moved to Ottawa, I was very excited to learn French, but then I got to meet some of them and they cured me.
I worked in a restaurant in the market area and one Sunday Brunch I had my whole section reserved out for a bus tour that was late...when they arrived they aproached me and in perfect english asked for a french speaking server...I told them to go stand in the line-up to get back in and when we had a section available with a french speaking server we will be happy to accomodate....needless to say they stayed, and had the buffet...I only had to find out who wanted jus de orange etc. The tip was included, so, needless to say I had a blast pretending that I comprehended nothing etc. MY boss called me into his office, I thought, here we go...he thanked me!
This is just one instance of run ins with the french who somehow think they are above the rest of Canada, I never quite understood it!

^ Which is what I was sorta referring to... I have had a few family members, both from Canada and the US venture into Quebec for various reasons, and pretty much everytime they went out anywhere to buy something or to go eat, they always got a hassel, or they had some very seriously crappy customer service, because they couldn't speak french.

I just don't have the damn patience for it myself and I have no actual desire to head to Quebec for anything.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I was born in and lived pretty much my whole life in Quebec (Montreal) and my French is very limited. I cannot read nor write French nor can I engage in a detailed conversation with someone in French. Yet due to the huge English speaking population on the west part of the city, I've had no problem working and living my day to day life soley in English. I've always sent my resumes in English only and have worked now for several different companies in Montreal. All of my past interviews were in English. As long as you are not involved in public service in Montreal, you generally don't have to be bilingual.

Let us not forget that there are some 800,000 plus English speakers living in Quebec. The vast majority of those live in Montreal.

^ lol, that is also what I was referring to (ie: trying to find a decent english speaking part of Quebec where you might stand a chance)

jambo101

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2009
Montreal
Most of the french people i have to deal with are amazed when i tell them that the English speakers in Quebec number only 8%, Allophones another 8% the rest are French,for this paltry % of "Les Autres" they sure do get their knickers in a knot about anything concerning the elimination of this blight on their province/country.Trying to get a job here is difficult if you arent French even if you are fluently bilingual as most of the human resource personnel are French and will hire a person with a French name over some one with an English name,its a wink wink nudge nudge type of mentality.
And dont think for a minute we arent going to have another referendum on separation,separatism is alive and well here in Quebec its just not newsworthy at the moment..

soleilangela

Jan 16, 2010
Very true jambo101

I've been in Quebec since I was 11 and speak and write better French then most but still have always had a very hard time finding a job. The only way I can find a job here is if the person hiring is English or if I got VERY lucky. Couldn't even get a Mcdonald's interview !

People won't admit it but that's how it is and when you do get a job, you need to watch out for those English haters who will back stab you on the first occasion.

Wish i could just move but not easy with 2 kids. I'm in the Quebec city area so it's worse.

For now I'm selling stuff online but won't give my link just in case.

Canaduh

Derailing Threads
Mar 7, 2008
Southwest WA
Its far worse in Quebec than France. I had no trouble conversing with anyone in France in English and when I used French as broken as it was they all put in the effort to understand. In Quebec they are arrogant, either speak French or get treated like a second class citizen.

Canaduh

Derailing Threads
Mar 7, 2008
Southwest WA
Very true jambo101

I've been in Quebec since I was 11 and speak and write better French then most but still have always had a very hard time finding a job. The only way I can find a job here is if the person hiring is English or if I got VERY lucky. Couldn't even get a Mcdonald's interview !

People won't admit it but that's how it is and when you do get a job, you need to watch out for those English haters who will back stab you on the first occasion.

Wish i could just move but not easy with 2 kids. I'm in the Quebec city area so it's worse.

For now I'm selling stuff online but won't give my link just in case.

Welcome to CC, GL with the move.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Its far worse in Quebec than France. I had no trouble conversing with anyone in France in English and when I used French as broken as it was they all put in the effort to understand. In Quebec they are arrogant, either speak French or get treated like a second class citizen.
That's bull**** and probably just based yourself on one event.
Funny how its on the news that in Montreal it is actually hard to get serviced in french. Well enough to actually make the news . By the sound of it i doubt seriously that you stayed here to make an accurate assestment.
I have seen the americans come up here , a medium town near the border, be treated very politely.

Canaduh

Derailing Threads
Mar 7, 2008
Southwest WA
Funny how its on the news that in Montreal it is actually hard to get serviced in french. Well enough to actually make the news . By the sound of it i doubt seriously that you stayed here to make an accurate assestment.
I have seen the americans come up here , a medium town near the border, be treated very politely.

So you call me out about lack of knowledge yet you use 1 town to back up your argument?. Hows the hypocrisy working out for you. Your coment just further cements my view of quebecois.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
So you call me out about lack of knowledge yet you use 1 town to back up your argument?. Hows the hypocrisy working out for you. Your comment just further cements my view of Quebec's.
What hypocrisy? I live in this province, I mentioned what i see most often . Tho i could of given you a long list of all the towns I have lived and seen. I don't seriously remember a situation where there was a face to face conflict. Tho your arrogance seems a bit hypocritical yourself there buddy.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto

Several years ago I went into a restaurant in Quebec City. Of course the menu was in french, but I gave my order in English. The waitress told me in pretty good English that she wouldn't take my order in English.

This is one incident which proves you wrong.

FUBAR

Electoral Member
May 14, 2007
I stopped taking French after grade 10 so only have the basics left. I have no problem in France unless you are in Paris (but then they don't really like anyone, especially the waiters). Not sure why Quebec has such a snob value, they used to put French Canadian movies on Channel 4 here in the UK and one of my friends from Brittany used to watch them. He had a hard time following the French they spoke as he said it wasn't modern French but an old peasant style not used any more, a bit like watching Stallone do Hamlet in Chaucer's English. He could get the gist of what they were saying but had to fill in the rest...

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Several years ago I went into a restaurant in Quebec City. Of course the menu was in french, but I gave my order in English. The waitress told me in pretty good English that she wouldn't take my order in English.

This is one incident which proves you wrong.
no it doesn't
it proves you were there for just one incedent.
so by seeing one incedent you have a problem with the rest of the population ?

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I stopped taking French after grade 10 so only have the basics left. I have no problem in France unless you are in Paris (but then they don't really like anyone, especially the waiters). Not sure why Quebec has such a snob value, they used to put French Canadian movies on Channel 4 here in the UK and one of my friends from Brittany used to watch them. He had a hard time following the French they spoke as he said it wasn't modern French but an old peasant style not used any more, a bit like watching Stallone do Hamlet in Chaucer's English. He could get the gist of what they were saying but had to fill in the rest...
The European french are a pain in the a$$. We love to put them in thier place when they come here.