Starting a credit history in Montreal

sud-west

Oct 12, 2005
Atlanta
Hi! I'm planning to move to Canada (Montreal) in a couple of months. So, I'm trying to figure out how to arrange my life in Montreal. To start a credit history in Canada what bank should I choose?

sud-west

Oct 12, 2005
Atlanta
That's what it all about. Choosing the right bank with right account. Let's say I need a checking account with no annual fee, with at least somewhat interest rate, preferably with free on-line service and free checkbooks. I know, I can find such things in US banks, but is it possible to find the same in Canada?
What is your preference while looking for a bank to open an account in?

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Re: RE: Starting a credit history in Montreal

sud-west said:
That's what it all about. Choosing the right bank with right account. Let's say I need a checking account with no annual fee, with at least somewhat interest rate, preferably with free on-line service and free checkbooks. I know, I can find such things in US banks, but is it possible to find the same in Canada?
What is your preference while looking for a bank to open an account in?

Should be able to get that at all the major banks... check online to see what the terms are. In terms of preference, if the options are relatively the same, go with the bank with the most convenient branch close to where you live or work. Might be tricky if you're not sure where you will live. Good luck.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
I've always had good experiences with the Royal Bank in Montreal prior to moving down to the US. The CIBC and ScotiaBank are other good choices.

From a customer service point of view, I would stay away from the Laurentian Bank, the National Bank and the Bank of Montreal.

sud-west

Oct 12, 2005
Atlanta
What can you say about a secured card. I heard it is the only way to gey a credit card if you have no credit history. Is it right?

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
You should enquire at your bank when you open an account. Many banks will allow you to get a card through them. Till then, your US credit card will do fine.

p.s. try to stay away from the Credit Unions there. Many of the popular ones are affiliated with Seperatists.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Starting a credit his

They want to separate. Their relationship with credit unions has nothing to do with that and more to do with the BQ being a centre-left party.

I'd still go with a credit union if I were you, sud-west. The returns tend to be higher, especially on chequing accounts, and the service tends to be much more personalised and friendly.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Do you have credit in Atlanta? Do you have a credit card now? Who's it with? Who's your bank now?

There are some banks in the US that are owned or affiliated with Banks in Canada. That might help.

I really like HSBC, because I get personal helpful service. But that's probably just my tremendous personality.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Yep! Credit Unions or Caisse Populaires[in french] are the way to go. Our local branch even shared all the profits with its members.

sud-west

Oct 12, 2005
Atlanta
Nope, I don't have a credit card in US. I use my husband's card instead.
Here's the story: I am in USA on visitor visa. Having no SSN (Social Security Number) I can't open an account and can't get a credit card of my own. It drives me crazy :( That's why the first thing I want to do at my arrival to Montreal is to open a bank account and to start my credit history.

EternalSunshine

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2004
Montreal
First, you'll have to come here, find a place to stay. Then you should open your bank account. Personally I've had a good experience with all of them (Laurentian Bank included), they all more or less offer the same thing. Without a credit history or a job you might not get a credit card right away, but sometimes stores will give you a card (Canadian Tire or Bay) anyway, and then those appear on your credit record. Also, you should have at least one of your household bills in your name (phone or electricity, for example) where your record could be checked - this could be helpful if a landlord wants to check if you have a habit of paying your bills on time before renting you an apartment.

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006
CsL, Mtl, Qc, Ca, NA, Er, SS,MW, Un
When I didn't have a credit card, one of the bank's (TD's)represantative gave me an option to deposit $1000 and get a credit card. This is like you are using you own money. You'll have credit history. But, if you need this money, you apply to another bank's credit card. Once you got another credit card, you withraw your 1000 and your previous card will be cancelled.

It worked with me.

McDonald

Nominee Member
Jan 23, 2006
Chicoutimi, Québec
www.myspace.com
Desjardins is the big caisse pop in Montreal and indeed in Quebec as a whole. It's the way to go. All the other banks are run by souless capitalists and are fee-charging bastards. Banking in Canada hasn't exactly caught up with the competitive no-fees banking atmosphere ofthe US. There are also no "debit" cards other than those of the Interac network, which is not affiliated with any credit card company. This will make online shopping a pain in the ass.