Compulsory English education and Bill 101; contradictory?

How to balance the need for English vs defense of French in Quebec?

• Allow a few second language options and adjust Bill 101 as needed as a counter-balance

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
It would seem to me that the French language in Quebec being threatened by the English language is partially the fault of the Quebec government itself! Right now in the province of Quebec, everyone is required to learn English either as a language of instruction or as a second language, thus meaning that, at least in theory, assuming every student learns English well, there are two common languages in Quebec, thus giving everyone the option, should they wish to do so, to be understood in English, thus putting French in a precarious position requiring Bill 101 to defend it. Thus Quebecois's freedoms are restricted on two contradictory fronts; on the one hand, they are required to learn English, and on the other are restricted form using it.

It would therefore seem to me that, if Quebec is concerned about the threat of the English language to the French language, it would only make sense that the government give students a choice among at least two, three or four languages to choose from as the second language they would learn, thus ensuring that French would effectively become the only common language in the whole of Quebec, thus reducing the need for such tough legislation as bill 101. I'm not suggesting that that alone would suffice to counter the threat of Bill 101, but would at elast reduce the need for it, thus perhaps allowing the Bill to be softened a little in the future, or if that's not possible, at least ensure that it won't need to be strengthened anytime soon, thus granting more, not less, freedom to both francophones and anglophones. What are your thoughts on this one?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
RE: Compulsory English education and Bill 101; contradictory

Sorry, I'd included three options in the poll, with other as a third option. I don't know why it's not showing up in the poll. So if it is other, then please just don't vote and express your option in the thread. Thanks.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Re: RE: Compulsory English ed

Numure said:
It is demanded by the federal goverment that we be instructed in english as a second language.

Ah, this is federal law? I see; I hadn't realized this before, so that puts a whole new spin on things. So what is your personal view; that it ought to be compulsory or not?

So if it's a federal law, then I suppose it's fair to say that the threat to the French language in Quebec is partially the federal government's doing, with Bill 101 merely trying to provide a counter-balance to that. So when the federalists complain that Bill 101 takes away personal freedoms, then I suppose fair is fair, seeing that it's the very federal government they support which is creating the need for Bill 101 in the first place by taking away the personal freedom to choose among a few second languages in school. One impositional law to counter-balance another impositional law.

Well, if we have a country in which federal laws and Quebec provincial laws are just meant to counter-balance one another and try to undermine the intended effect of the laws passed by the other, then heck, even I'd have to support sovereignty. Becasue after all, what's the point of having a federal government and provincial government wasting all that money to just undermine each others' plans?

Thanks for sharing that bit of information, Numure. I think that alone is pushing me in the direction of sovereignty. Don't get too excited though, I'm just saying that my leaning is changing, not that I'm suddenly going to become a wholehearted supporter of it.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario

English, even if it were a choice, would still be learnt by the majority of Quebecois. It just makes sense to learn English; it is the most useful language to know in today's world.

It isn't because of English that French is in a precarious position in Quebec; it is because French isn't very useful internationally.

Technology, globalization and the decisions of other foreign government that encourage English are the real threat. Independence or no independence, English will still be a huge factor in Quebec.

"As of 1999, French was the 11th most common first language in the world, with 77 million first language speakers and another 51 million second language speakers.

For the same year, Rapport sur l'état de la Francophonie dans le monde (2) offers more detailed figures:

113 million Francophones - Speak French (as a native or adopted language) fluently and use it on a regular basis.
61 million "occasional" Francophones - Live in a francophone country but do not speak French regularly, due to limited knowledge.
100-110 million students of all ages - Do not live in a francophone country, but have learned/are learning French in order to communicate with Francophones. "

"English has official or special status in at least seventy-five countries with a total population of over two billion. English is spoken as a native language by around 375 million and as a second language by around 375 million speakers in the world. Speakers of English as a second language will soon outnumber those who speak it as a first language. Around 750 million people are believed to speak English as a foreign language. One out of four of the world's population speak English to some level of competence. Demand from the other three-quarters is increasing."

"English is the main language of books, newspapers, airports and air-traffic control, international business and academic conferences, science, technology, diplomacy, sport, international competitions, pop music and advertising.

Over two-thirds of the world's scientists read in English. Three quarters of the world's mail is written in English. Eighty per cent of the world's electronically stored information is in English. Of the estimated forty million users of the Internet, some eighty per cent communicate in English"

In the end, Quebecois will be at a disadvantage globally if they don't learn English. French is a much nicer and more beautiful language but in terms of practicality, English is tops!

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Re: RE: Compulsory English education and Bill 101; contradic

DasFX said:
English, even if it were a choice, would still be learnt by the majority of Quebecois. It just makes sense to learn English; it is the most useful language to know in today's world.

It isn't because of English that French is in a precarious position in Quebec; it is because French isn't very useful internationally.

Technology, globalization and the decisions of other foreign government that encourage English are the real threat. Independence or no independence, English will still be a huge factor in Quebec.

"As of 1999, French was the 11th most common first language in the world, with 77 million first language speakers and another 51 million second language speakers.

For the same year, Rapport sur l'état de la Francophonie dans le monde (2) offers more detailed figures:

113 million Francophones - Speak French (as a native or adopted language) fluently and use it on a regular basis.
61 million "occasional" Francophones - Live in a francophone country but do not speak French regularly, due to limited knowledge.
100-110 million students of all ages - Do not live in a francophone country, but have learned/are learning French in order to communicate with Francophones. "

"English has official or special status in at least seventy-five countries with a total population of over two billion. English is spoken as a native language by around 375 million and as a second language by around 375 million speakers in the world. Speakers of English as a second language will soon outnumber those who speak it as a first language. Around 750 million people are believed to speak English as a foreign language. One out of four of the world's population speak English to some level of competence. Demand from the other three-quarters is increasing."

"English is the main language of books, newspapers, airports and air-traffic control, international business and academic conferences, science, technology, diplomacy, sport, international competitions, pop music and advertising.

Over two-thirds of the world's scientists read in English. Three quarters of the world's mail is written in English. Eighty per cent of the world's electronically stored information is in English. Of the estimated forty million users of the Internet, some eighty per cent communicate in English"

In the end, Quebecois will be at a disadvantage globally if they don't learn English. French is a much nicer and more beautiful language but in terms of practicality, English is tops!

I hate to agree here. But I do on many points. One point I would contend, however, is that while English is the most practical language in the world, it is false to believe that Englihs alone will pull a country through!

Here in China, for instance, translators and interpreters between Chinese and Polish can earn a salary five times higher than is the case for English, due to a shortage of interpreters in the field. This shortage itself is partially due to the myth that everyone int he world speaks English. Now while my Polish example above might be a little extreme, French interpreters likewise can get a salary almost twice that of English interpreters, and the same applies to many languages here in China. English has just become a dime a dozen, with many fluent speakers losing it after a few years out of university since their employer has no use for it.

Granted the situation in Quebec is radically different, with Quebec, unlike China, being surrounded by English-speakers all over North America.

So while I'd agree that English is crucial in Quebec, I'd argue that it's only partially due to the global role of English, with the North American regional context being much more crucial.

So then I suppose the question could be, does Quebec focus on the regional or the global market, if it wants to be able to stand on its own in the international community? Just as in BC schools, students have seven languages to choose from as their second language. In this respect, I'm not disagreeing that Quebec needs English speakers, and that most Quebecois would probably choose English anyway, even if they did have other language options to choose from.

The advantage, however, would be that even if only a few schools teach another language instead, then this could provide Quebec with a wider base of language resources to do business with the non-English-speaking world as well (again, some Quebecois might need to go abroad and be able to comunicate with the locals or other prominent people who might speak neither English nor French).

And as I'd mentionned before, not everyone in Quebec (from my experience living in a few small towns there as well as Montreal, plus other cities I'd visited) need English in their daily lives. So what's the point of having every Quebevcois learn English when the market doesn't even need that, with most eventually just forgetting the language after a few years anyway (what a waste of money!). So it would seem to me that it might make more sense to focus on expanding the province's language base, which then might give Quebec entrepreneurs new opportunities worldwide which they hadn't had before. This summer, for instance, I might be striking a deal to export traditional Chinese garments to Quebec, and it's no thanks to my knowledge of either English or French. Most Quebecois simply wouldn't have the necessary language skills to accomplish the task (i.e., missed opportunity due to overfocus on English) Quebec's job ought not to be to make anglophones' lives easier, but rather to expand into foreign markets. Does BC require all students to learn French through their school years? No, because again, they're focussed on world markets, not making the francophones' lives easier in BC.

So in conclusion, yes, I do agree with much of what you said. I'd just say taht it's somewhat oversimplified.

Gabre34

Jan 3, 2005
United States

I study in a Québec french high school. I would have studied in English right from the start, but the 101 law restricts me from it.

On-paper, yes: It says that english is instructed in Québec

BUT

In some classes (In most schools province-wide), the quality of the english classes are lacking at best. Some don't even go through the whole program and sticks to putting movies for the students and joke around. Just to say, that it isn't all serious.

I learned english while I was a little kid (My father was Jamaican therefore I learnt the language). I master it perfectly. Even if I study in french, I don't use the language on a regular basis (I only use it in school: Anywhere else, english is of use)

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Gabre34 said:
I study in a Québec french high school. I would have studied in English right from the start, but the 101 law restricts me from it.

BUT

In some classes (In most schools province-wide), the quality of the english classes are lacking at best. Some don't even go through the whole program and sticks to putting movies for the students and joke around. Just to say, that it isn't all serious.

I learned english while I was a little kid (My father was Jamaican therefore I learnt the language). I master it perfectly. Even if I study in french, I don't use the language on a regular basis (I only use it in school: Anywhere else, english is of use)

No surprise here. When I tought in La Malbaie, one teacher of English couldn't even speak it!

Same applies all over China.

Long live English!

Reivilo

May 20, 2005
Saint-Hyacinthe, Québec

Machjo said:
Gabre34 said:

BUT

No surprise here. When I tought in La Malbaie, one teacher of English couldn't even speak it!

Long live English!

Long live English? Unfortunately, I need to agree with you. English will maybe, one day, being the only one language to be speak as a mother-language in the whole world. This is being said, I'm very sad if it would have to happen; English is one of the ugliest (spelling?) language in the world; there is not much more grammatical stuff (verb tenses, etc) and that makes English a very unprecised language if we compare it to two beautiful and romantic language: Spanish and French...

LONG LIVE FRENCH!

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Reivilo said:
Machjo said:
Gabre34 said:

BUT

Long live English!

Long live English? Unfortunately, I need to agree with you. English will maybe, one day, being the only one language to be speak as a mother-language in the whole world. This is being said, I'm very sad if it would have to happen; English is one of the ugliest (spelling?) language in the world; there is not much more grammatical stuff (verb tenses, etc) and that makes English a very unprecised language if we compare it to two beautiful and romantic language: Spanish and French...

LONG LIVE FRENCH!
\

Actually, Reivilo, that opinion is quite biassed. Consider that French 'h' is usually silent, unless preceded by 'c'. Then we have o, au, aux, and eau, all pronounced the same way. On, om (if followed by b or p) are likewise pronounced the same way. Same with en and em, an and am, ai, ais, aix and aient. The plural can take s or x if fallowed by au or eau. The simple present of 'be' can be either suis, est, sommes, etes, or son. The adjective usually follows the noun except beau and other exceptions. One must memorize the gender of every noun, plus the masculine and feminine singular and plural form of every word. So please don't tell me the Romance languages are much better.

Just as English as a world language gives an unjust advantage native English speaker in an already sufficiently unjust world, French would merely do the same for native speakers of French the world over, thus continuing the inherent injustice of such a system and the conflicts with come with it.

Now let's compare the above to Esperanto. One letter, one sound. One sound, one letter. The simple present for 'be' is 'estas' in all cases. All adjectives add 'a', all nouns add 'a', thus eliminating the need for noun/adjective word order. The plural is the same in all cases without exception, and there is no gender for inanimate objects, and for animate objects, gender is always logical. Result? Esperanto, while just as precise as French, is much easier, at least five times easier, to learn. As for tenses adding to precision, that's false. If I say "Mi estas", one knows that estas must be first person because of the pronoun 'mi'. Thus the French suis, est, etc. are really just redundent sinse the pronoun will indicate the person anyway, non?

I'd challenge you to prove that French is a easy to learn as Esperanto, or even renotely easier to learn. Just try:

http://www.lernu.net/

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Reivilo said:
Machjo said:
Gabre34 said:

BUT

Long live English!

LONG LIVE FRENCH!
\

Actually, Reivilo, that opinion is quite biassed. Consider that French 'h' is usually silent, unless preceded by 'c'. Then we have o, au, aux, and eau, all pronounced the same way. On, om (if followed by b or p) are likewise pronounced the same way. Same with en and em, an and am, ai, ais, aix and aient. The plural can take s or x if fallowed by au or eau. The simple present of 'be' can be either suis, est, sommes, etes, or son. The adjective usually follows the noun except beau and other exceptions. One must memorize the gender of every noun, plus the masculine and feminine singular and plural form of every word. So please don't tell me the Romance languages are much better.

Just as English as a world language gives an unjust advantage native English speaker in an already sufficiently unjust world, French would merely do the same for native speakers of French the world over, thus continuing the inherent injustice of such a system and the conflicts with come with it.

Now let's compare the above to Esperanto. One letter, one sound. One sound, one letter. The simple present for 'be' is 'estas' in all cases. All adjectives add 'a', all nouns add 'o', thus eliminating the need for noun/adjective word order. The plural is the same in all cases without exception, and there is no gender for inanimate objects, and for animate objects, gender is always logical. Result? Esperanto, while just as precise as French, is much easier, at least five times easier, to learn. As for tenses adding to precision, that's false. If I say "Mi estas", one knows that estas must be first person because of the pronoun 'mi'. Thus the French suis, est, etc. are really just redundent sinse the pronoun will indicate the person anyway, non?

I'd challenge you to prove that French is a easy to learn as Esperanto, or even renotely easier to learn. Just try:

http://www.lernu.net/

Shiva

Electoral Member
Sep 8, 2005
Toronto

Hi guys, I'm new. I hope you don't mind, I'm just going to jump right in on the conversation.

With respect, I don't agree with the premise of the thread to begin with. The idea that French is threatened due to the number of people who speak English in addition to French is not at all accurate. Take the example of a country like India where the number of polyglots truly puts us Canadians to shame. It's quite common for people there to speak their mother tongue, speak Hindi (fluently or a smattering), in addition to English- in fact, the curriculum is designed to teach three languages to students. People commonly do speak three languages, usually two Indian languages plus English (originally as a result of colonial history, and then as a strategic move as the world's lingua franca of trade and politics). The result is that you have a nation where people easily move one language to another, as a part of their daily lives, all according to the context of the task at hand.

Want to talk to a loved one or a family member? Use your mother tongue. Talking to a neighbour? Use Hindi. At work and dealing with an international client? Why, use English! It's not such a big deal, languages are not dying out.

The real indicator of whether French is dying would be whether people are actually using it. Is it still the language of the family? Is it still the language to express emotions? Is it the language whose unique idioms and ideas, the culture it expresses, still the language people bond over? I'm not from Quebec, so I can't answer those questions, but they would be a far greater indicator of the long term sustainability of French as the Quebec language in my opinion.

Vitamin C

Nominee Member
Sep 14, 2005
Ontario
Re: Compulsory English education and Bill 101; contradictory

I think the important issue here has less to do with people whose native tongue is quebecois, than it has to do with people who move to Quebec from other places (Canada or International migrants).

The reason the law is there is so that if someone from outside Quebec moves to Quebec, they learn quebecois.

It has already been illustrated in this thread that people in Quebec think that it is an advantage to speak english, and it is a job skill they need to have.

Imagine if all people who moved to Quebec and thought the same thing decided to learn english and not quebecois? Bientot la langue va evaporer.....

Another issue....

In Ontario it's obligatory that we take french classes from grade 4 until grade 10 or something like that. I think that is wrong. When I was in high school I hated french, probably because I was forced to take it. Also, most of our french teachers didn't even speak french.

Now as an adult I have decided that I WANT to learn french, and I am in the process of doing so. I think it is impossible to learn a language unless you WANT to learn it, so forcing students who don't want to learn it is pointless.

In fact I think people who teach a language in a classroom with textbooks, drills, and notes should be jailed. To learn a language one should learn about the music, films, etc.....That's how I am learning quebecois now and it is an immense pleasure. There's a lot more to Quebec than a language.

For those interested in learning french I highly recommend this: http://elf.uqac.ca/general_information/site-map.php There are tonnes of government programs where you can get money to learn french....look into it....make it happen....

In Quebec I think it's wrong to force students to learn English for the same reason. The difference is that in Quebec there is more reason for people to learn english (jobs etc....)

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Compulsory English ed

Also, most of our french teachers didn't even speak french.

Same out here. That was the strange part. Like, wtf? Why even teach it if you can not have someone qualified to teach it?

I did not want to learn it either. You can not and will not learn anything if you don't want to. When you are 11, 12,13 etc these things don't interest you, I was more intersted in watching girls .

I did take a semester of Spanish in grade 12.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

That is why the situation in Quebec is ridiculous. You have two laws that contradict each other. Everyone mush learn English, yet you have Bill 101 restricting it.

The irony here is that Bill 101 has not required everyone to learn French in Quebec. How can the folks there make it their day-to-day language if not everyone speaks it? Many folks in parts of Quebec (mainly Montreal) still speak only English. This is especially true for those folks living in the West Island. I don't think this is going to change anytime soon. I never did learn French and did my elementary, secondary, College and University education all in Montreal.

I had also worked in Montreal for many years before eventually moving to the US without ever requiring the need for French. I did not move as a result of language, that was not the reason since I was not affected by any language issues there. I moved to live in a conservative based society.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Shiva said:
Hi guys, I'm new. I hope you don't mind, I'm just going to jump right in on the conversation.

With respect, I don't agree with the premise of the thread to begin with. The idea that French is threatened due to the number of people who speak English in addition to French is not at all accurate. Take the example of a country like India where the number of polyglots truly puts us Canadians to shame. It's quite common for people there to speak their mother tongue, speak Hindi (fluently or a smattering), in addition to English- in fact, the curriculum is designed to teach three languages to students. People commonly do speak three languages, usually two Indian languages plus English (originally as a result of colonial history, and then as a strategic move as the world's lingua franca of trade and politics). The result is that you have a nation where people easily move one language to another, as a part of their daily lives, all according to the context of the task at hand.

Want to talk to a loved one or a family member? Use your mother tongue. Talking to a neighbour? Use Hindi. At work and dealing with an international client? Why, use English! It's not such a big deal, languages are not dying out.

The real indicator of whether French is dying would be whether people are actually using it. Is it still the language of the family? Is it still the language to express emotions? Is it the language whose unique idioms and ideas, the culture it expresses, still the language people bond over? I'm not from Quebec, so I can't answer those questions, but they would be a far greater indicator of the long term sustainability of French as the Quebec language in my opinion.

And where did you get the statistics for that?!

Last I'd checked, 1% of East Indians speak English as a native langauge, with an additional 6% who are at least competent in it. That makes 7% in all, ranging from basic competence to fluency, not to mention that many Europeans, with the exception of native speakers from Britain perhaps, can't understand them because of their pronounciation!

Most East Indian businessmen here in China likewise complain about how it takes alot of time for their Chinese collegues, who only learn British or US pronunciation, to learn to understand their English. And from my own observations, most local Tamil speaking children here in China will communicate with their Hindi-speaking classmates not in Hindi, but in English. Another friend of mine had observed that in the big cities in India, English is becomming the de facto lingua franca, with the local dialects becomming increasingly unimportant, thus building a language barrier between the higher classes of the metropolitan areas who can speak English but whose traditional languages are slipping, and those from the countryside for whom English is still strictly a foreign language taught in school.

So while it might be that some are bilingual or trilingual, it's certainly not the norm, not to mention that bilingualism and trilingualism can sometimes be limitted to certain fields (for example, while a person might be fluent in Hindi for general daily purposes, can he have a higher level academic discussion in the language if all of his higher education should have been conducted in English? One friend of mine had told me that, though both English and Hindi were her native languages, her Hindi was reserved for non-academic discussion, with English being her only means of higher level conversation!

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Nascar_James said:
I had also worked in Montreal for many years before eventually moving to the US without ever requiring the need for French. I did not move as a result of language, that was not the reason since I was not affected by any language issues there. I moved to live in a conservative based society.

Of course, I fully agree with you here. If everyone is required to learn English, then of what use is French?

Shiva

Electoral Member
Sep 8, 2005
Toronto

Machjo said:
And where did you get the statistics for that?!

Last I'd checked, 1% of East Indians speak English as a native langauge, with an additional 6% who are at least competent in it. That makes 7% in all, ranging from basic competence to fluency, not to mention that many Europeans, with the exception of native speakers from Britain perhaps, can't understand them because of their pronounciation!

And on what are you basing your statistics, since we're comparing notes?

All the 'good' schools in India teach through the medium of English. For many millions of Indians, into the hundreds of millions, English is the only language of education they've ever known.

And if you want to talk about accents, there are many Americans who have difficulty following British speaking people or Australians. Some can't even understand them and sometimes you see subtitles on American programming when people from Britain and Australia speak! It's ridiculous...but it goes to show that just because Indians have thick accents that make it difficult for Americans or Brits to understand them, doesn't mean that they're particularly unique in that regard.

The International Herald Tribune puts the number of Indian speakers of English at 350 million.

TESOL also mentions the number of 350 million English speakers though they believe the number is somewhere between an overly conservative 9% figure of 100 million and a perhaps too liberal 33% figure of 350 million.

ABC news puts India as the country with the largest number of English speakers in the world, surpassing the U.S. and the U.K. combined.

Machjo said:
Most East Indian businessmen here in China likewise complain about how it takes alot of time for their Chinese collegues, who only learn British or US pronunciation, to learn to understand their English. And from my own observations, most local Tamil speaking children here in China will communicate with their Hindi-speaking classmates not in Hindi, but in English.

Yes, of course they would. There are two linguistic divisions in India corresponding to geographical realities. There is the north of India, where Indo-European languages predominate (eg. Hindi, Rajasthani, Punjabi, Bengali, etc.) and the the South where Dravidian languages dominate (eg Kannada, Tamil, Malayalam, Telegu). People in the North who speak two or three languages would be likely to learn their local language+Hindi or some other northern language, and rarely do Northerners learn South Indian languages. The reverse is also true that people in the South often speak their mother tongue and will learn some other Southern language among those I've already mentioned. This is the case because it's easier to learn languages that are a part of the same language family as your mother tongue. The result is that people in the South will definitely use English to communicate with those in the north and vice versa. There's also the added political dimension that people in the south are fiercely proud of their languages and resent the national imposition of Hindi on them through gov't, such that they will purposely use English to talk to Northerners to avoid using Hindi.

Machjo said:
Another friend of mine had observed that in the big cities in India, English is becomming the de facto lingua franca, with the local dialects becomming increasingly unimportant, thus building a language barrier between the higher classes of the metropolitan areas who can speak English but whose traditional languages are slipping, and those from the countryside for whom English is still strictly a foreign language taught in school.

There is undoubtedly a class issue related to English that dates back to colonial times. English was imposed on India as the court language of the English Empire, and as such, those belonging to the upper classes of India were the first to learn it and use it in their interactions with the colonial administration. Consequently, even today, the middle class and upper class are more likely to speak English than the lower classes. This is largely due to economics where the middle and upper classes can afford to send their children to good private schools where the medium of instruction is English, as opposed to public schools used by poor people where English is taught as a second language.

No matter what, though, there is instruction in the local languages, and as you've pointed out the number of native speakers of English is quite small in India (though it is huge, in the hundreds of millions, as a second language). There has even been a revival of Hindi lately with hindi becoming increasingly popular throughout India despite gov't intervention to promote the language, largely due to Bombay cinema (Bollywood) which is hugely popular. It also can't be forgotten that while certain areas have less pride in their local languages, others do, and fiercely use their language as opposed to English except when speaking to people from other states in India, or other countries.

Machjo said:
So while it might be that some are bilingual or trilingual, it's certainly not the norm, not to mention that bilingualism and trilingualism can sometimes be limitted to certain fields (for example, while a person might be fluent in Hindi for general daily purposes, can he have a higher level academic discussion in the language if all of his higher education should have been conducted in English? One friend of mine had told me that, though both English and Hindi were her native languages, her Hindi was reserved for non-academic discussion, with English being her only means of higher level conversation!

Bilingualism certainly is normal in India, and is often necessary for economic survival. The only language group that often does not attain fluency in another Indian language (but still learns English) is the Hindi speaking belt throughout Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Dehli, etc., and that's because they're such a huge population. As I mentioned before, it is the common curriculum in India, enforced by law, that all schools must offer the local language+Hindi+English (or Hindi as the local language+Sanskrit or some other Indian language+English) as languages of study.

Your friend is a good example where the study of language is sometimes lop-sided. She is representative of many people who went to private English medium schools in the Hindi speaking belt, who lay less emphasis on their local language. The reason for that is that good English indicates social class, and facilitates upward mobility, such that her family has decided not to stress her learning of their mother tongue. This is characteristic of the region in question. This is sadly quite common in some Hindi speaking families, but other parts of the nation are fiercely proud of their local language and culture and consider speaking their mother tongue a necessity. This kind of situation is also quite common among the NRI (non-resident Indian/ex-pat) community, who do not live in an environment where their mother tongue surrounds them on a daily basis. Some languages have waned in India, others are in a revival. Anyone aware of India is aware of how many people there are bilingual or polyglots...do word searches on those two words in association with India and see the huge number of articles that come up. ;)

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

But Shiva. The kind of trilingualism you're talking about there is one in which two trilinguals mignt speak six languages among them! It's not the kind of bilinbualism/trilingualism/plurilingualism of which I was thinking (though that's my fault for not explaining clearly). Their motivation for learning two or three languages has to do with survival motivation. To achieve the same in Quebec, we'd need to adopt a policy which would actively promote language chaos just to get people to learn three languages and still not be able to communicate with another trilingual Quebecois. I don't think that would be desirable.

From that standpoint, I still think one common language plus diverse second languages would be the ideal. That way, they could have the best of all worlds (i.e., still be able to communicate with all Quebecois, learn a second language, and not have the French language threatened as a result of their second language, since it would not be a common second language, with only one common language, French, for all Quebec).

Roger

Nominee Member
May 2, 2006
Atlantic
www.exporail.org

I live on both sides of the border, and I read what you are all saying and I can't believe that Quebec is a part of the Democratic Industrialized world.

Let me ask all of you something. If France is so much smaller than Quebec, surrounded by people speaking English, Spanish, Italian, German and Flemish, WHY DOES MOTHER FRANCE NOT PERCIEVE A THREAT TO IT'S CULTURE?

I have people in Quebec complaining to me that they don't get any tourists from the States and they ask me why. I tell them what people tell me in the States; "I went and I couldn't communicate with anybody outside of the hotel. They were rude to me in the bank and the restaurants. To hell with it!" Isn't that sad?

If I want to work in Quebec, I have to learn French. Why would anyone want to limit their career opportunities for a lifetime, by being limited to being able to work on only one spot? Quebec has it's own professional glass ceiling that prevents people from getting better work in their fields in other Provinces, and other Countries. English may be required, but how many people actually learn it and retain the skill?

Any Francophone with a higher education must learn English to survive in the business world, because sorry folks, Quebec may be 4X bigger than Texas, but in the scope of the world, it's a drop in the bucket. Don't you want Quebec to grow and prosper? Well, if you don't speak German, Russian, Polish or Italian, the common language of the international business community is English. It's not by design, or a conspiracy against French Culture, it was evolution.

People who learned French outside of Canada complain that they can hardly understand the Quebecoise. It's not a useful language to invest the time to learn unless you live in Eastern Canada.

What happened to the Canadian concept of "We're all in this together as neighbours, so we all have to pull together."? Nobody wants to see Quebec fail. If Quebec fails, all of Canada fails. If you saw the outside world encroaching on you the way it really is, the Anglophone and Separatist Francophone would grab each other and hang on for dear life.

Roger.