Moving to Montreal

Gonzalo

Aug 29, 2013
Hello.
I´m thinking about moving to Montreal, mainly to learn french. I´m have a bachelor in political science and I´ve been working for the last four years for energy companies and helping the improve their relations with the local communities around their projects.
I´vee been gathering many information but a first hand opinion is always helpful. Is it to expensive to live? are there job offers to foreigners (considering under the canadian government Young Professionals VIsa)?
I´ve read all the threads in this forum, but still I would really appreciate any additional help.
Thanks!

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Hello.
I´m thinking about moving to Montreal, mainly to learn french. I´m have a bachelor in political science and I´ve been working for the last four years for energy companies and helping the improve their relations with the local communities around their projects.
I´vee been gathering many information but a first hand opinion is always helpful. Is it to expensive to live? are there job offers to foreigners (considering under the canadian government Young Professionals VIsa)?
I´ve read all the threads in this forum, but still I would really appreciate any additional help.
Thanks!
we were forced to learn French at school in Toronto. you don't have to go to montreal to learn French.

Gonzalo

Aug 29, 2013
Sure, I can also go to Paris. The thing is that I would really like a place were I can work in english/french environment and learn not necessarily in a regular course

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
Sure, I can also go to Paris. The thing is that I would really like a place were I can work in english/french environment and learn not necessarily in a regular course
Montreal is probably the only place in Canada where you have a significant number of both English and French speakers. You will surely get a chance to use both languages. Montreal is unique in that although there are two common languages, many of us are not bilingual (myself included). You will find many of us speak only English or only French, however we usually don't work in the public service. Many Montrealers are however fully bilingual. Good choice if you really want to use both languages in your day to day activities.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Ottawa is good too. Lots and lots and lots and lots of French speaking people.

Nice thing is you can, say, put up a sign in English and French and the language police don't fine you.

Quebec is intolerant of non Francophonies.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Anything east of the center of Ottawa as you head towards Montreal, your going to run into lots of French.

If you want a professional, grown up responsible uptight I'm a snob, life style, Ottawa is for you.

If the night life is importent to you & what your looking for,
Montreal is by far your location of choice to party like a animal.

Gonzalo

Aug 29, 2013
Thanks for all the tips! Do you really think it´s possible to learn french this way? Sound like Montreal it´s the city I´m looking for. The canadian government has a special visa called young professionals, but you must get a job first in Canada. Any tips on good web pages for job hunting?