PQ makes formal request to yank Maple Leaf

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
From: PQ makes formal request to yank Maple Leaf | News Talk 980 CJME

PQ makes formal request to yank Maple Leaf

(Parti Quebecois government makes formal request to yank Maple Leaf from assembly)

QUEBEC - The new Parti Quebecois government has taken steps to officially yank the
Canadian flag out of the provincial legislature. The ornate upper chamber of the legislature,
which is used for committee meetings and special ceremonies, is the last place in the building
where the Maple Leaf still hangs.

Yves Francois Blanchet, the government whip, made a formal request to remove the Canadian
flag yesterday, on the 36th anniversary of the election of the first PQ government in 1976.

That government, under then-premier Rene Levesque, was actually the first to put the Quebec
flag in the legislature chamber where the daily debates take place in 1976 and then the upper
chamber in 1983.

Since then, the Canadian flag has had a revolving-door existence in the upper chamber, better
known as the Red Room.

It was installed there by the federalist Robert Bourassa when he returned to power in 1985,
was then removed by successive PQ premiers, and was only brought back by Jean Charest
when he became premier in 2003. Bourassa did not put the Maple Leaf in the legislative chamber,
fearing a backlash from nationalists.

The PQ had the flag removed from the Red Room during its recent swearing-in but it reappeared
afterwards. The new government had not explicitly stated its intentions, before this week.

The Liberals say the current bid to shelve the Canadian flag is disrespectful to Quebecers who voted
to remain in Canada in two referendums.

Coalition party member Gerard Deltell says the rest of Quebec is concerned with other matters while
the PQ worries about flags.

I just find this weird, not only in that it seems petty overall, but that I stumbled across this on a news
service in Saskatchewan. I maybe should'a posted this in the Jokes area, but it seemed to fit better
here. I just shake my head, and carry on with my day....

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Just wait another fourt years and it'll be back in. I say the Liberals shouldn't waste time on this. Just abstain from voting on it, let the bill pass, roll their eyes and move on till next election. Not worth sweating over.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Is this even newsworthy in Quebec?

I doubt it. Even her coalition partners seem to think this is ridiculous.

It's like when she put the fleur-de-lys on her poppy. for crying out loud, you're never suposed to deface a poppy, whether with a Canadian flag, fleur-de-lys or anything else for that matter. Not even a cross!

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I really wish she would just shut her mouth. I wonder if Quebec has started to regret voting this idiot in yet?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I really wish she would just shut her mouth. I wonder if Quebec has started to regret voting this idiot in yet?

She won by less than 1%. The vast majority didnt want the PQ. I'm hoping this government is defeated quickly.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
While I don't like the PQ as an entity it must be examined how she got there at all and why I
hope she stays for a while.
One if you want to vote left of center you have one choice the PQ. In Quebec that is the way
it has been. The Liberals and others all tend to be at some degree on the right. the former
Liberal Leader was once a contender for the Federal Conservatives. This is a coalition in that
Province like the BC Liberal Party is really a coalition of Conservatives and Federal Liberals.
You know one of those coalitions the Federal Conservative loath.
I am hoping that the PQ will remain in power for at least a year, it will give the party time to become
less popular and secondly the provincial NDP will have formed by then and will start competing for
the left of center vote. At least they are a Federalist Party.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Actually, this particular one is much more annoying.

At least it spices up the political life and keeps news papers in business

This just in, Marois's stimulus package working
Popcorn flying off the shelves, Producers doubling usual yearly sells in Quebec & Canada confirmed.

Last edited: