Trying to figure it out

willqccan

Nominee Member
Aug 7, 2011
Gatineau
I'm posting this into "Quebec Regional Chat" because I don't want to disturb too much, I know my posts lack subtlety sometimes...

I'm confused about your point of view in the west about Quebec. Some of you guys seem to think: "Let them go, screw them, we're already paying too much for them". I mean... we're sending our kids to Afghanistan too, we're paying taxes to the provincial and federal governments too, what's really different? Why are we pictured as worthless crybabies? I never asked anything to anyone, I'm just doing my job and enjoying breaktimes and hollidays and all, like probably all of you too.... Why do we look like lazy basterds to you? I'm not complaining about anything here, and if I'm not welcome, I'll leave you to your site. It's called "Canadian Content" after all, not Quebec Puzzled Twits lol. I'm just trying to think about how we can work together, if such a thing is possible. That's why I came here in the 1st place and I can leave if you guys don't like my presence. I knew there would be sparks between us but I like the community here even if sometimes knives are thrown. By the way, please don't place me in the same bag as some others here who are not making sense, I change my mind often but I'm not totally dumbo... well I hope :p

Comments welcome.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Firstly, that's not a view of Quebec as a whole, that's a view of separatists. Not all Quebecois are separatists.

someone on here once put it brilliantly in comparing the provinces to squabbling siblings. People get annoyed at the perception that Quebec is always threatening to leave, much in the same way that you'd get frustrated at that one family member who always threatens to stop coming around if everyone doesn't do what they want. and so, much like bitchy siblings, they say 'fine, go'. But, ultimately, most westerners I know don't want Quebec gone.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm posting this into "Quebec Regional Chat" because I don't want to disturb too much, I know my posts lack subtlety sometimes...

I'm confused about your point of view in the west about Quebec. Some of you guys seem to think: "Let them go, screw them, we're already paying too much for them". I mean... we're sending our kids to Afghanistan too, we're paying taxes to the provincial and federal governments too, what's really different? Why are we pictured as worthless crybabies? I never asked anything to anyone, I'm just doing my job and enjoying breaktimes and hollidays and all, like probably all of you too.... Why do we look like lazy basterds to you? I'm not complaining about anything here, and if I'm not welcome, I'll leave you to your site. It's called "Canadian Content" after all, not Quebec Puzzled Twits lol. I'm just trying to think about how we can work together, if such a thing is possible. That's why I came here in the 1st place and I can leave if you guys don't like my presence. I knew there would be sparks between us but I like the community here even if sometimes knives are thrown. By the way, please don't place me in the same bag as some others here who are not making sense, I change my mind often but I'm not totally dumbo... well I hope :p

Comments welcome.

First of all I judge people as individuals, and like anywhere else, I think many Quebeckers are decent, industrious citizens. We don't like the fact that some Quebeckers think they should be treated as a distinct society............we are all distinct societies. I'm not sure if the media treats Quebec fairly but we do hear of a lot of rioting. We don't like that you are forced to hang only French signs in Quebec- that to me goes against a basic freedom. It seems that Quebec students think they should pay less for their education than other Canadians, so yes I do get the impression that Quebec has more than it's share of whiners and spoilt brats. It's probably a case of the minority spoiling things for the majority. BUT my impressions are only formed from listening to the media. Perhaps the media IS the problem.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Comments welcome.

I agree with the comments made here by both Karrie and JLM. I have always stated and always will that my Canada includes Quebec. If that means putting up with a few nutballs from time to time..........well we do not lack our share of the same here in the West.

willqccan

Nominee Member
Aug 7, 2011
Gatineau
Thank you for your answers. Karrie, when you say:
Firstly, that's not a view of Quebec as a whole, that's a view of separatists.
Do you mean my post or the group of people I mentionned?

And JLM: I think the medias do a good job in general. My opinion on the students crisis is that maybe their tuition increase was a little bit disproportionate but I don't approve free tuition like what the most radical students were asking for, I'm not that far to the left politically speaking.