Differences between canadian & french accounting

nono_banou2003

Oct 10, 2011
France
Hye everybody,

I'm a French student who have a "licence" (bachelor) in economics and management (but I had french accounting courses as well).

I want to work as a certified management accountant in Canada. So i'm contemplating a move to Canada in order to apply to an accounting program accredited by the CMA-Canada order.

My question is: since canadian and french accounting are different, do I have to apply to a bachelor or to a master?

All advices are welcome!!!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
All accounting designation/certification programs in Canada only require a bachelors degree, so if they recognize the degree (don't know why they wouldn't but personally don't know about foreign degrees) you will be able to register for the CMA program. There is an entrance exam and you need 60% or greater to be accepted.

Provinces

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
You might have to take some more bachelor-level accounting courses that cover North American standards; your best bet is to check with the board.

nono_banou2003

Oct 10, 2011
France
Thank you very much! Here in France there isn't an order for management accounts. It's not as regulated as it is in Canada. I suppose the laws of taxation and internal audit also aren't the same. I'll contact the CMA order and the universities for further datails. I think i'll also have to take the TOEFL exam. Thx!

In fact i was planning to move to Quebec or Ontario since my favourite universities (Concordia, McGill, York and Toronto) are located in these provinces. I had no clue they wanted to merge the accounting boards into one. Does it mean the entrance exam and the accredited CMA-diplomas will change?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Thank you very much! Here in France there isn't an order for management accounts. It's not as regulated as it is in Canada. I suppose the laws of taxation and internal audit also aren't the same. I'll contact the CMA order and the universities for further datails. I think i'll also have to take the TOEFL exam. Thx!

In fact i was planning to move to Quebec or Ontario since my favourite universities (Concordia, McGill, York and Toronto) are located in these provinces. I had no clue they wanted to merge the accounting boards into one. Does it mean the entrance exam and the accredited CMA-diplomas will change?

If you follow the link in my first post it will take you to the CMA webpage, the link in my second post is for CICA (Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants) and there is a news release/posting on the merger.

I work in a small CGA firm in Ontario but don't hold a designation myself.

Best of luck.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
thx! i'll read the posting on the merger. Broadly speaking, what are the main tasks of a CGA?

In a nutshell, in Canada only Chartered Accountants can do audited financial statements. I know there has been talk for years of changing that, but I can't honestly tell you how far that's gone. CGA (Certified General Accountants) generally perform the same work, public accounting, but our office only does Notice to Reader not Assurance. But the CA's set the standard in Canada, which is the reason I posted the link to CICA, they produce the handbook.

To the best of my knowledge, GAAP is pretty consistent almost worldwide (or is intended to be) but I do know there are differences with US GAAP and I'm not aware of how different it may be to what you are used to in Europe.

nono_banou2003

Oct 10, 2011
France
In a nutshell, in Canada only Chartered Accountants can do audited financial statements. I know there has been talk for years of changing that, but I can't honestly tell you how far that's gone. CGA (Certified General Accountants) generally perform the same work, public accounting, but our office only does Notice to Reader not Assurance. But the CA's set the standard in Canada, which is the reason I posted the link to CICA, they produce the handbook.

To the best of my knowledge, GAAP is pretty consistent almost worldwide (or is intended to be) but I do know there are differences with US GAAP and I'm not aware of how different it may be to what you are used to in Europe.
thanks for your informations. I really appreciate that!

By the way, do you think Certified Public Accountants are more well-rounded than CMAs and CGAs?