A Little Tied Up

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
By the way, it is not DEAD

I would really hate to be the one to try and rescue him.

I am pretty sure this qualifies as one of the things that
really P.O.'s a badger...

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I hope he was freed, that is so pitiful, if there was someone to take the
picture, then there was someone to cut him loose.

If you have ever been around an angry badger, you would know it would take someone with a death wish to cut that puppy loose. They have to be only second to a wolverine in nasty disposition. And I'm sure this fellow is in one foul mood.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
If you have ever been around an angry badger, you would know it would take someone with a death wish to cut that puppy loose. They have to be only second to a wolverine in nasty disposition. And I'm sure this fellow is in one foul mood.

so, then what was done, just leave him there to die?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I hope he was freed, that is so pitiful, if there was someone to take the
picture, then there was someone to cut him loose.

Not necessarily. A person going by may have had a camera on them but nothing to cut the ties. It looks pretty thick and would probably slice a person's hand if they tried to pull it by hand.8O

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Not necessarily. A person going by may have had a camera on them but nothing to cut the ties. It looks pretty thick and would probably slice a person's hand if they tried to pull it by hand.8O
-
Nahh - it's that plasticy thin blue and white stringy stuff isn't it?? Not so easy to break but I think you could burn it if you happen to be a smoker and you were the one taking the picture. I hardly think anyone would be cruel enough to take a picture and then walk away and tell about it. You would have to cut that string from the other side of the big loaf of hay so the creature could run free without caring where you were. Either that or climb on top of the hay (and have a roll in the hay hay hay) while you cut the critter loose.:lol:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Honestly, I got these pic's as an Email so I don't know the final
outcome of that Badger, but it's caught in a bale so I know these
pic's are from at least last fall.

I know I wouldn't want to be the one to cut it loose. Badgers are
a tough nasty animals with evil tempers. I would assume whomever
owns that land would put a bullet in its head before trying to cut it
loose. This makes for a good Rorschach test though with peoples
reactions.

I've seen Badgers from a distance, and have never had to deal with
one myself, but living out on the Prairies I've heard enough antidotal
stories, that I wouldn't want to be anywhere near it if I didn't have to
be. I know several people that have claimed to have run over Badgers
in fields and on gravel roads, and that doesn't usually kill them either.

Our Dispatcher say's she would have freed the critter with a hedge
trimmer from the hood of a truck. Our Consultant (who farmed for
years) say's he'd shoot it and then cut it loose. All I can say is, I'm pretty
sure some tourist passing thought didn't find this Badger and cut it
loose, or it would have made the news at some point as one of those
Darwinian Award type stories.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
If he was cut loose, he probably would be stressed and confused for a short while,
and probably couldn't do much, anyone would have time to flee.
We remain the most dangerous animal alive, and it didn't even take a gun to do it.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I expect that badger hasn't long to live at any rate. That sort of compression usually results in some mortal internal injuries.

To free it I would grab it by the scruff and cut the ties from the back to the front and then once the last let go fling it away so that it's flight instinct could kick in and it would run for ground.

A badger is no match for a human. Granted most humans have no idea of their own power and so a badger can look pretty intimidating.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
well, surely someone who know badgers could tell if he is injured, or confused
or disoriented, but maybe all connected with the situation would rather see him
dead anyway, but he shouldn't suffer like that.
Badgers don't show injury very well. It's hard to say if they have a broken limb or just a nasty in a paw. They are extremely tough little things. Farmers like the little buggers cuz they are a very efficient rodent exterminator.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I expect that badger hasn't long to live at any rate. That sort of compression usually results in some mortal internal injuries.

To free it I would grab it by the scruff and cut the ties from the back to the front and then once the last let go fling it away so that it's flight instinct could kick in and it would run for ground.
Much safer to stick pole out the window and snip the bailing straps. Why invite a problem?

A badger is no match for a human. Granted most humans have no idea of their own power and so a badger can look pretty intimidating.
Given that the human has the same intelligence, in hand to paw combat a badger is no match. People have nasty things like guns, though. It'd be dead meat and human would likely me mangled a bit. Most farmers are smart and back off, though.