Two more teens charged in death of senior in Regina

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Two more teens charged in death of senior in Regina

By Barb Pacholik, Leader-PostDecember 15, 2008

REGINA -- Two more teens charged with murdering a Regina senior made their first appearance in Youth Court on Monday, while the prosecution indicated it will be seeking an adult sentence for a third youth if he’s convicted.

Two males, aged 15 and 16, appeared briefly before Judge Leslie Halliday, who formally read them the charge they face: Second-degree murder in the death of Joseph Victor Perrault.

Halliday remanded them in custody while they arrange to speak to a Legal Aid lawyer. They are to return to court Tuesday morning.

The two were arrested separately, without incident, Friday evening, according to Regina police.

Meanwhile, a 15-year-old boy, who first appeared on the same charge last week after his arrest Wednesday, returned to court Monday morning. The matter was adjourned to court Dec. 22, and he remains in custody.

The Crown filed a notice of intention in his case to seek an adult sentence if he is convicted. Prosecuted in the youth system, the teen would be subject to a maximum seven-year sentence for murder. But if sentenced as an adult, a murder conviction for a youth carries a life sentence with no possibility of parole for seven years.

None of the teens can be identified under the Youth Criminal Justice Act unless they are sentenced as adults.

Perrault, 69, was found dead in a vacant lot on the west side of the 1400 block of Garnet Street shortly before 11:30 a.m. on Dec. 7. Regina police have not released any information about how he died. He is the city’s seventh homicide victim this year.

A family member described Perrault, who is survived by eight children, as a generous man.

“Victor was a man who would give the shirt of his back,” said the relative, who requested anonymity. “Not one family member can understand why he would be killed.”

The relative remembered him as someone who could be relied upon, was always laughing, and could tell a good joke.

“He loved life, and he loved his family,” the relative said.
Perrault’s death came 24 years to the day of the slaying of his former sister-in-law Carol Josephine Ford. The 42-year-old woman, who had been stabbed repeatedly in the neck and chest, was found draped over a kitchen chair in her Regina home on Dec. 7, 1984. Her unsolved homicide is among the Regina Police Service’s cold case files.

bpacholik@leaderpost.canwest.com
© Copyright (c) The Regina Leader-Post
Source: Two more teens charged in death of senior in Regina

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
A Youth, sentenced as an Adult, charged and convicted of Murder, would get a MAXIMUM
of seven years of incarceration (keep in mind that remand time counts as double time).

A Youth, sentenced as a Youth, charged and convicted of Murder, under the "Youth Criminal
Justice Act" could get a MAXIMUM of a seven year sentence. the "Youth Criminal Justice Act"
states that HALF of the seven years would be served as incarceration (keep in mind that remand
time counts as double time....& court & wait times can and usually do take 12-18months), and the
other HALF of the seven years would be served out in the community stabbing your Parents when
they're not stealing you Sisters car or breaking into Your garage.

If charged as an Adult, they can be named. If charged as a Youth, they can't be named.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
A Youth, sentenced as an Adult, charged and convicted of Murder, would get a MINIMUM
of seven years of incarceration (keep in mind that remand time counts as double time).

A Youth, sentenced as a Youth, charged and convicted of Murder, under the "Youth Criminal
Justice Act" could get a MAXIMUM of a seven year sentence. the "Youth Criminal Justice Act"

I think you made a little mistake there

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
OP's...You're right. I was pretty choked (OK...p*ssed-off) as I was banging that post out.
that MINIMUM should have been a MAXIMUM. Thank You Karrie.

No....I was right. Even if charged as an Adult, a Youth would still only get the MAXIMUM
of seven years...BUT...it would be incarceration (not 1/2 incarceration & 1/2 in the community).
I could be wrong, but I don't think I am. I've a Lawyer (Family Member) I'll bounce this off
of, but I won't see Him until sometime Thursday night. I'll get clarification, but I think I'm
correct on this one.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think you made a little mistake there

I think (and again, I'll confirm this Thursday night) that if Harper could have pushed
through his Crime Legislation, You would be right and I would be wrong, but he
didn't.

I believe, currently still, that even if charged as an Adult, the maximum Youth sentence
would still apply, but not the 1/2 in & 1/2 out provision, and a name could be released.
Karrie, you've got me second guessing myself though...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
No, you're wrong... your article clearly states (you highlighted it in red) that, if sentenced as an adult, it's a life sentence, without eligibility for parole for seven years. That means a MINIMUM seven year sentence, possibly more if they don't make parole.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
No, you're wrong... your article clearly states (you highlighted it in red) that, if sentenced as an adult, it's a life sentence, without eligibility for parole for seven years. That means a MINIMUM seven year sentence, possibly more if they don't make parole.

If I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time, and I appreciate your pointing that out.
I think (through you have got me second guessing myself) that it's just goofy
wording in the article, and part of what had me so choked. I'm going to bounce
this off someone (up on a Reserve in Northern Manitoba for a couple of days)
in a couple of days.

If I'm wrong, Thank You for correcting me. I'm not so sure I am wrong though
and it ties back to the "Youth Criminal Justice Act" even though a Youth is
charged as an Adult, their age would still factor in. Again, I could be wrong and
I want to confirm this with someone who swims in this sort of thing for a living.

A life sentence for a Youth is seven years. Charged as an adult, he'd still only
get the Maximum of seven years, but no parole in that seven years. I will come
back to this in 2&1/2 days.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Karrie, You are right and I was wrong (and misguided). I got an answer
back faster than I expected. I am very glad that you are right and I was wrong.
Thank You for catching that 'cuz I was pretty upset at a lenient sentence, when
I was interpreting things incorrectly. I feel better (as much as someone can in light
of this crime) knowing that I was wrong.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
well, don't get too excited yet, it's IF he gets sentenced as an adult, which isn't guaranteed.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I wish they would get rid of the double time served for time spent in remand. If they get sentenced to 10 years in prison before parole and spent one year before they got sentenced, then they should still have to serve 9 years, not 8 years.

Hopefully they'll get tried as adults.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I wish they would get rid of the double time served for time spent in remand. If they get sentenced to 10 years in prison before parole and spent one year before they got sentenced, then they should still have to serve 9 years, not 8 years.

Hopefully they'll get tried as adults.

Personally I think double time in remand is fair. It gives extra incentive to the legal system to not have someone sitting to await trial for a year. That kind of wait is counter intuitive to a person's right to a trial.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Personally I think double time in remand is fair. It gives extra incentive to the legal system to not have someone sitting to await trial for a year. That kind of wait is counter intuitive to a person's right to a trial.

The legal system shouldn't make anyone wait anyhow. If justice is to be served, or if justice is to be spurned, it should be done quickly either way.