Any Saskatooneers here?

hermite

Not so newbie now
Nov 21, 2007
950 Snowupthearse Rd. Can
Have you been to the Crooked Forest? This sounds like a very interesting place.
http://travel.sympatico.msn.ca/Myth...line=True&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc&date=True
This is Saskatchewan's Crooked Forest, "a botanical mystery" in which a group of wild aspens bend and loop around each other.
"What causes the grove of trees to grow this way? No one really knows," reads a sign in the forest, also known as the Crooked Bush, near Hafford, Sask.
"Some say a flying saucer flew over the area and changed the chemistry of the earth beneath the roots."
Visitors strolling along a boardwalk find themselves ducking to avoid limbs that have stretched across the path. And be warned: according to folklore there are reports of people getting dizzy and light-headed in the forest. "Only the brave go into the bush on the night of a full moon," reads the sign.

And then there's the ghosts in Battleford. Wow, I wanna go. 8O

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I once rode a trail in Highlevel, where trail grooming had cut a swath through young muskeg, and the aspens up to ten feet away from the clearing, all bowed down to try to reach the swath of sunlight. They are some of the most flexible, sun seeking trees I've ever seen. It would be no surprise that they could create a 'crooked forest', especially leaning into a walking path.

dirkdigler

Jan 17, 2009
anyone else kind of counting down the days to leave Saskatoon?

Housing more expensive than most western Canadian cities,
wages still lower, crime still higher,
not a lot to do, and sub par down town

The river is nice, but Winnipeg has 2 rivers, and a house costs you $100,000 less
We have Okanagan prices With Winnipeg Winters

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
I love Saskatoon, would move back in a second! But thats life!
Anyway hermite, here are some cool pictures of those trees that you are talking about.
The Crooked Trees

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
hermite; I've heard of the place but just never got the chance to go, never got to a Riders game either even though my wife went to school with one of the players. Lots of things you never see even when you lived there. Hazmart's pix are cool, when I retire and move back I'll try to visit the place, (and hopefully take in a Riders game among other things).

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
anyone else kind of counting down the days to leave Saskatoon?

Housing more expensive than most western Canadian cities,
wages still lower, crime still higher,
not a lot to do, and sub par down town

The river is nice, but Winnipeg has 2 rivers, and a house costs you $100,000 less
We have Okanagan prices With Winnipeg Winters

S'toon is a nice city, but I'm not a city dweller type, I'm more country folk. The nice thing is that you can be a bumpkin and live within a 20 minute drive from the city.

I'm counting down the days 'till I move back.:blob:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Sorry - just don't know how any of you can stay in those cold cold climates. Guess you had to be born there. I don't mean to insult any of you. It's just not for me.

hermite

Not so newbie now
Nov 21, 2007
950 Snowupthearse Rd. Can
Thanks, Hazmart, very cool pictures.

Looks like it would be a fun place to be at night when there's one of those big, bright full moons. Or a sunny day with snow. Lots of photo ops.

And, Islandpacific, there is a beauty to snow unlike any other. Unless, of course, you have to shovel it. :smile:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Ya Right! A Saskatoonian live in Regina?? Not going to happen!

...Sorry Ron....:-?

It's all right. I like living in the city who's name rhymes with fun. It's not for
everyone though, or else it would become overcrowded and loss some of
its dirty charm.

I like living in a city where I can commute from any point to any other in about
12 minutes in the summer (or 25 minutes or so in the winter). I like knowing that
if someone commits a personal crime against you (assault, etc...) that you'll eventually
run into them again under more favorable circumstances. I like knowing that when my
car was broken into and my coat (one of four in existence) was stolen....that it'll only
be a matter of time before I spot it and will peal it (and anything else on that person)
off to wash and wear it again....Saskatoon's a nice place to visit, but like you I've got
my preferences too.

P.S. It sounds like Dexter Sinister is somewhere in Regina also.

Last edited:

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
The nice thing about living in the S'toon area is that you only have to drive a couple or more hours North to find some absolutely spectacular fishing, Regina just adds about 3 hours more to the drive.:fish:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I know of what you're talk'n about here Bob. I myself do my best
fish'n in Superstore, but I lived in Prince Albert for may years and
always looked forward to the roadtrips that would take me up to
La Ronge (to the cannery....where you could buy a huge fresh lake
trout for a pack of cigarettes), or to Deschambault Lake where you
could trade a couple of watermelons (in the summer) for a 5G pail
of fresh fillets...or just haul someone's outboard motor (tangled up
by wild rice) to P.A. and back (going that way anyway) in exchange
for caribou or moose meat. If you were creative, everyone was happy
with the exchanges, and you ate very well.

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
No, but I do have a young relative who just moved there about 4 months ago, got
a job right away. Guess there is work there for the young people.
I would hate the climate, but I'm sure there are some things there that are nice,
afterall it is canada.
I will go through there in the fall when I take the 'great train ride', can't wait, don't
know if the train stops there for awhile, or not.