need some advise

immortal55

May 20, 2007
hi guys i'm a newcomer i'm dentist, i'm married ,one kid, living in toronto, i need to study and pass some tests then go to university for couple years to get a licience, the life expenses are so expensive here in toronto , and hard to find a nice job here because of the language , the only jobs i got were in labour , high rate of competion and long distaces to go esp i don't have a car right now,it was hard 4 me to work in labour and study at the same or kind of imopssible, anyway i'm thinking to move by myself out of ontario to find a job (doesn't require alot of physical effort like carrying heavy weights) and affordable place to live so i can work and study and if everything goes along so my wife and kid gonna follow me , so any ideas and thanx alot guys

daisygirl

Electoral Member
May 28, 2007
Ontario
How about just moving further outside of Toronto? The further out you go, the cheaper it is and you could take your wife and son with you. Towns like Lindsay have small houses that start in the $150,000 range or you could rent. There are towns around that maybe one of the local job help places like Manpower or something like that could hook you up with some work and you could drive in with someone. Just a thought.

Last edited:

immortal55

May 20, 2007
thanks daisygirl for your response, i'm thinking about that, but ontario is so big and huge, and i don't know where to go so thats what i'm waiting for ,some suggestions, so is lindsay located north-east of toronto near peterborough and can u tell about this town like r there malls stores or schools and thanks again

daisygirl

Electoral Member
May 28, 2007
Ontario
There are malls, etc. in Lindsay and Peterborough and both cities have their advantages. In the summer, Peterborough has a terrific free concert series every Wednesday and Saturday. Everyone takes lawn chairs and some water or pop and goes to listen for the evening. They also have treats you can buy at the concert if you get hungry, but we always go for dinner at one of the many little restaurants just around there. After the concert, there are about 10 minutes of fireworks.

I personally prefer Peterborough but I think Lindsay is less expensive. It is not as large as Peterborough but everything is pretty well concentrated around the downtown area. Both cities have hospitals, btw.

I don't know the schools other than to say that the country kids are bussed into the high schools in the two cities. The curriculum would obviously be that of Ontario and I certainly haven't heard anything bad about any of the schools.

The air is good up here and you can see the stars at night. When it is not rush hour, you are only about an hour and a bit from the Don Valley and 401 intersection. Drive 10 minutes out of the city and you will see all sorts of beautiful wildlife. We live in the country and often see deer, wild turkeys, foxes, rabbits and we have even seen a wolf and a bear here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brat

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Immortal, check out the Kitchener Waterloo area. It's a huge community and only an hour from Toronto. They have an excellent bus system, two universities and various colleges. Just google it.

daisygirl

Electoral Member
May 28, 2007
Ontario
Sal, let him know about the cost of living there as well as job prospects, too, please, since all that stuff is important.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Thank you Sal - I hope someone would have the idea to let the fella know to use the computer to his advantage - with whole communities available for his investigation.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Sal, let him know about the cost of living there as well as job prospects, too, please, since all that stuff is important.
Morning Daisy,
I can't give him that info because it is way too general. That's why I said to google it. That way he can hone in on specifics. It is way cheaper than TO but any city around there likely will be.

There will be rooms to rent and affordable living because of the size of the community with two universities. Therefore they will cater to single life style way more than TO. But other than that he needs to go into say Monster.com and search job boards in areas he thinks look appealing.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Thank you Sal - I hope someone would have the idea to let the fella know to use the computer to his advantage - with whole communities available for his investigation.
Moring Curio,

Monster.com will also help with the job search. In fact that might be the place to start first come to think of it immortal.

daisygirl

Electoral Member
May 28, 2007
Ontario
Uh, I think that goes without saying, Curiot...we're all trying to help the man and his family. What are your suggestions, eh?

immortal55

May 20, 2007
hey

thank you hun for the info but just one more question whats about the transportaion? do i need a car or the buses there r so good? and r there many stores all over there ? or i have to go to downtown for shopping so i must have a car
There are malls, etc. in Lindsay and Peterborough and both cities have their advantages. In the summer, Peterborough has a terrific free concert series every Wednesday and Saturday. Everyone takes lawn chairs and some water or pop and goes to listen for the evening. They also have treats you can buy at the concert if you get hungry, but we always go for dinner at one of the many little restaurants just around there. After the concert, there are about 10 minutes of fireworks.

I personally prefer Peterborough but I think Lindsay is less expensive. It is not as large as Peterborough but everything is pretty well concentrated around the downtown area. Both cities have hospitals, btw.

I don't know the schools other than to say that the country kids are bussed into the high schools in the two cities. The curriculum would obviously be that of Ontario and I certainly haven't heard anything bad about any of the schools.

The air is good up here and you can see the stars at night. When it is not rush hour, you are only about an hour and a bit from the Don Valley and 401 intersection. Drive 10 minutes out of the city and you will see all sorts of beautiful wildlife. We live in the country and often see deer, wild turkeys, foxes, rabbits and we have even seen a wolf and a bear here.

Reactions: Dreadful Nonsense